DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 2685
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:52 am

Jmurt,

Your SoH was remarkably stable through most of 2020. Hopefully it goes flat again for you for another year.


Sage, what about the cases of where the owner calls Tesla for a battery analysis, and Tesla confirms a certain % battery degradation. Does Tesla's diagnosis not hold water?
2019 S Plus (93.86% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (93.35% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Posts: 6245
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:01 am

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:52 am
Sage, what about the cases of where the owner calls Tesla for a battery analysis, and Tesla confirms a certain % battery degradation. Does Tesla's diagnosis not hold water?
Reference ?
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

danrjones
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019
Location: Ridgecrest, CA

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:19 am

SageBrush wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:01 am
DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:52 am
Sage, what about the cases of where the owner calls Tesla for a battery analysis, and Tesla confirms a certain % battery degradation. Does Tesla's diagnosis not hold water?
Reference ?
Well, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

So more qualified than Nissan right?
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Posts: 6245
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:34 am

danrjones wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:19 am
SageBrush wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:01 am
DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:52 am
Sage, what about the cases of where the owner calls Tesla for a battery analysis, and Tesla confirms a certain % battery degradation. Does Tesla's diagnosis not hold water?
Reference ?
Well, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

So more qualified than Nissan right?
You will have to explain the joke.

As for Tesla, a customer call-in can at most result in BMS information being discussed, which is no different that reading an OBD2 app. Moreover, I would not put *too* much weight on what a tier 1 customer support rep tells a customer, Tesla or not.

I'll say it again: a charge test is to be believed. Everything else is varying degrees of uncertainty.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

danrjones
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019
Location: Ridgecrest, CA

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:38 am

SageBrush wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:34 am
danrjones wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:19 am
SageBrush wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:01 am

Reference ?
Well, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

So more qualified than Nissan right?
You will have to explain the joke.

As for Tesla, a customer call-in can at most result in BMS information being discussed, which is no different that reading an OBD2 app. Moreover, I would not put *too* much weight on what a tier 1 customer support rep tells a customer, Tesla or not.

I'll say it again: a charge test is to be believed. Everything else is varying degrees of uncertainty.

It was a holiday inn add campaign. But if you didn't see it, it wouldn't make sense.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15634
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:16 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:18 am
Ok, so you have been babying the battery. Not sure then what might be driving the loss (real or bms). The fellow in Japan with a 40 just hit 100K miles with lots of DC charges and just over 3 years with SoH of 84% (still 12 bars). This bms is still a bit of a mystery as usage cycle doesn't seem to explain the outcomes.

Sage, yes many (but not all),see some artifical loss due to calibration.
His success is more based time... or lack of. A lot of people hit 100,000 miles with 12 bars especially if they do in 3 years. I can remember not so long ago, it was a foregone conclusion that it was nearly impossible to hit 100,000 miles on a 24 kwh pack with 12 bars but now I have seen a dozen new ones in just the past 3-4 months. Really illustrates we are only seeing a small slice of the EV experience out there.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 19,653 mi, 93.47% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 2685
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:48 pm

Impressive that this fellow has DC charged his car 1,000 times in the 100K miles. I know Japan has many 25kW Chadrmos, so possible that helped a bit.

https://youtu.be/M5djkEFuA7k
2019 S Plus (93.86% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (93.35% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15634
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:21 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:48 pm
Impressive that this fellow has DC charged his car 1,000 times in the 100K miles. I know Japan has many 25kW Chadrmos, so possible that helped a bit.

https://youtu.be/M5djkEFuA7k
The moral of the story; Size really does matter! :lol:
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 19,653 mi, 93.47% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightmb
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:41 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291
Location: Franklin, TN

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:12 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:48 pm
Impressive that this fellow has DC charged his car 1,000 times in the 100K miles. I know Japan has many 25kW Chadrmos, so possible that helped a bit.
If you have unlimited access to them, it's easier to do than one would think just because of the convenience. Before I sold my 2013 SV, I had done 575 QC on it in 75K miles just because the QC was always easily available for me and it was running 50 kW to 62.5 kW depending on my battery temperature.

In reference to my old one:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32026
2020 Leaf SL Plus - (Manufacture Date March 2020)
2013 Leaf SV (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles)

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15634
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:38 am

knightmb wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:12 pm
DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:48 pm
Impressive that this fellow has DC charged his car 1,000 times in the 100K miles. I know Japan has many 25kW Chadrmos, so possible that helped a bit.
If you have unlimited access to them, it's easier to do than one would think just because of the convenience. Before I sold my 2013 SV, I had done 575 QC on it in 75K miles just because the QC was always easily available for me and it was running 50 kW to 62.5 kW depending on my battery temperature.

In reference to my old one:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32026
So I am reading this wrong since 62.5 KW on a 2013 isn't possible
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 19,653 mi, 93.47% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Batteries & Charging”