Can the combo Chademo/CCS stations charge at the same time.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A while back while I was QC'ing my eGolf (CCS) a Leaf pulled up and wanted to charge. There was a separate CHAdeMO station but it was occupied by another Leaf. I helped the guy try to charge but the station (made by ABB) wouldn't let him access the CHAdeMO half of the station.

Fortunately for him I had enough to get home by that point so I just disconnected and let him charge.

^^^ I can understand that. To be able to charge both at the same time, not only would you need 2 separate very large breakers/lines but basically 2 separate EVSEs, one feeding each plug, it would basically double the install cost.

webeleafowners said:
I just though maybe that something like current sharing similarly to a supercharger was possible
The way SuperChargers do this is both neat and annoying. It lets them put in 8 SC stalls, but they are in pairs. Only when 1 car is connected at the pair will it pull the full amount the SC is capable of outputting. Since SC isn't linear, the sharing between the pair tends to work out.

However, it sucks when you are alone at a SuperCharger, and the next person who arrives decides to plug in next to you. You come out 10 minutes later expecting to leave only to find you still need 10 more minutes of charging. The only good news is that the app will tell you this has happened -- if you are looking at it.

Blinks can hook up to two cars, but only charge one at a time. Then when the first car finishes, it switches automatically over to the second car (assuming that person applied their card, etc....)

I know this is an old topic, but things appear to have changed now. I've found a QC that do just that at Nissan HQ after a recent software update to their QC stations. The QC stations are 100 kW and it supports doing just that, charge an EV on CHAdeMO and CSS at the same time by dividing out the power between the two (50 kW to each when running dual mode)

Will this find it's way into other QC companies (like eVGO, EA, Blink, etc.) I have no idea? :mrgreen:

The data sheet for https://freewiretech.com/products/dc-boost-charger/ says for Max Output Power (DC):
CCS: 120 kW
CHAdeMO: 100 kW
Combined: charge 2 vehicles simultaneously at up to 60 kW each

I've seen at least two in CA on Plugshare. https://www.plugshare.com/location/262762 is one. I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RndvcE8Q5k but haven't watched more than a few seconds.

Nice! It's interesting that for years I could never find a QC charger would would do two plugs at once (be it a Double CHAdeMO or combo CHAdeMO/CCS) and it seems all it took was just a software update to just split the power between plugs but just only recently started to happen. :)

I believe it requires the arthitecture to support it inside the charrger; a software update can't update certain types of charrgers.

It seems that the Tritium RT-50s can't do it, but the newer RTM-75s and later models can: "Twin cables to simultaneously charge two EVs". The earliest units delivered had to wait for a software update to enable the dual charging.

Back