ChargePoint / Android Pay issue

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snlj

There are a number of ChargePoint-branded stations around town which are free to use. I've been taking advantage of them since I got my Leaf this spring, activating the session with my Android phone.

Once last month, and again this past weekend, I've experienced the Android Pay app popping up when I tap my phone, charging me a $1.00 fee, and then preventing the ChargePoint app from registering the session. The charge seems to stay on my card as pending for a couple of weeks before disappearing, so I'm less concerned with that than I am with the fact that the ChargePoint app doesn't track the session when this occurs.

I've been in contact with ChargePoint customer support, and they've said that Android Pay intercepting the NFC tap is an OS issue, and couldn't offer me anything.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm inclined to uninstall Android Pay, but wanted to check here first.

Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't bother with any of that. I carry around 2 Chargepoint cards all the time.

A $1 charge that disappears eventually sounds like some pre-authorization check/charge.

cwerdna said:
Personally, I wouldn't bother with any of that. I carry around 2 Chargepoint cards all the time.

A $1 charge that disappears eventually sounds like some pre-authorization check/charge.

There's a ChargePoint card in the car, and the $1 charge is just what you say. The issue is that Android Pay is preventing the ChargePoint app from recognizing the session.

cwerddna said:
Personally, I wouldn't bother with any of that. I carry around 2 ChargePoint cards all the time.

I'm pretty sure it's just a preauthorization charge to make sure that you account exists. Mine got refunded.

Again, I don't bother. I don't use Android Pay. (And yes, I do carry an Android phone w/NFC as a work phone.)

I find it MUCH easier to just swipe my Chargepoint cards. More recently, I'm using Apple Watch to start my sessions. Double click its side button and hold my watch up to the station. It also saves me the trouble of fumbling and possibly dropping my phone (tried the recent iOS support Chargepoint added).

I just noticed this issue as well. I got an email from CP a while back saying you no longer need to open the CP app to start the charge with NFC, or something along those lines.

I tried NFC without the CP app open at a Nissan DCFC which is supposed to cost $3 and Android pay popped up instead of the CP app. It still worked to authorize the charge and shows $1 on the Android pay app. That was on the 15th and nothing has hit my card, no $1 pre-authorization, or a $3 fee.

I tried a second time last Saturday at a different Nissan dealer, with an identical DCFC which is free, but still requires a CP card to activate. Again, Android pay popped up and the charge was authorized. Again, $1 showing in Android pay and nothing on my credit card. The following day I needed that free DCFC again and was going to make sure I opened the CP app before using the NFC to see what happened. Unfortunately, I had issues with all 3 authorization methods, CP app NFC didn't work, Android pay NFC didn't work, and my CP card didn't work. I had to call to get the charge authorized.

Have you tried using NFC with the CP app open? Or is this happening with the CP app open and running when you try?

I have the opposite issue. I am an avid Android Pay user and occasional chargepoint user. When I try to use android pay with a square reader, it gets confused and I can't use my android pay.

Last week when the Google Pay app updated on my Samsung Galaxy S7 I noticed that whenever I had the Chargepoint App open and would tap the station it would launch Google Pay instead. I discovered that if you go into your Android Settings, NFC and Payment, Tap and pay, there is an option at the bottom that says "If open app supports Tap and pay" and it had change it to "Still use Google Pay" When I changed it to "Use open app instead of Google Pay" it solved the issue and the next time I had the Chargepoint App open and touched the station it worked correctly. If this doesn't solve the issue consider uninstalling both the Chargepoint and Google Pay app, then install the Chargepoint app first which seems to make it the default app for NFC, then install Google Play second. If neither of these above methods work then consider uninstalling Google Play all together, or use the Charepoint card instead. Hopefully this helps others :)

Back