Hit the battery lottery!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjleejr

My 2012 Leaf SL that I got used in August 2016 with 28,645 miles on it and only 9 bars remaining for $7,800 lost down to 8 bars 2 weeks after I got it. Took it to Nissan and they ordered the new battery and they let me know yesterday it came in. Took about 6 weeks. Dropping car off on Monday to have it replaced. Car is in perfect condition inside and out. Going to be like a brand new Leaf in a few days.

From what I read on here I got very lucky.

Thanks to this board I knew about the warranty. Car in service date was 01/06/2012 so I was getting close.

John

Dropped the car off Sunday night with the night drop box. So far the dealer has had the car two full days and still not don't replacing battery. How many days is normal for them to take? I am guessing they just tinker on it during the day whenever they have time?

John

You may be excited, but calm down. You are getting a horse with free new teeth, to replace the one with bad teeth. (I am trying to relate the idea of "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".)

I would guess that the battery swap is not something that dealers have a lot of experience doing, and they want to take their time figuring things out. I have worked with Service manuals before, and the procedures for each step of the job is laid out, so a good mechanic can do a good job even if they do not do it often....

Give them time so they, like you, can have some fun with the experience of exploration. The last thing you want to do to a mechanic is to rush them, and then both you and them will have a bad experience with this...

They got it done. Neat to have SOH show 100% on Leaf Spy and have all 12 bars. Took them almost 4 days but I found out what took so long. The new covers Nissan sent where not the correct ones. Seems when they replace the battery they replace the covers. Took some time for Nissan to get the correct ones sent and it worked out great.

Battery replaced at 28,685 miles in October 2016. Have 42,012 miles now 18 months later and SOH is only down to 96%. The new battery is holding up really great.

John

jjleejr said:
Battery replaced at 28,685 miles in October 2016. Have 42,012 miles now 18 months later and SOH is only down to 96%. The new battery is holding up really great.

John

Remember, the first bar loss is approximately a 15% degradation marker. The remaining bars are lost at half of that percentage per bar. Also, there is some headroom on a new battery that does not initially show up on Leafspy and usually takes about 6ish months in hot climates on a new battery pack before it starts showing signs of dropping any percentage points.

Once you are past those 2 situations, along with having to charge more often because of said loss, it will march faster in time to its remainder of degradation. Your battery was also replaced in October so it was put into service after summer in its first year so you have more winters than summers at this point. It will be interesting to see where you are again after summer on your anniversary in October. I wish you good luck and I hope it goes the best as possible.

Up to 62,605 miles now and the SOH is now 84.83% but first bar hasn’t dropped yet. Guessing it will any day now. Only put 100 miles on it in the last year since I have been working at home.

jjleejr said:
Up to 62,605 miles now and the SOH is now 84.83% but first bar hasn’t dropped yet. Guessing it will any day now. Only put 100 miles on it in the last year since I have been working at home.

So it took 6 years to degrade about 15%, not bad. :)
Only 100 miles, so has it been sitting at 100% charge all year? :!:

DougWantsALeaf said:
Which year/battery size?
It came with a 24 kWh battery. AFAIK, Nissan has never replaced 24 kWh packs w/larger ones under warranty, so he would've gotten a 24 kWh "lizard" pack, given when the OP posted.

If my math is right, OP's had his replacement pack about 4.5 years, not 6.

No, I didn’t leave the battery charged to 100% for a year. When I am not driving it I leave it at around 60%. I only ever charge it to 100% if I am going to drive it within 24 hours of fully charging it.

Back