Emergency Power Wiring Kit (for Nissan Leaf)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
foolios said:
Has anyone purchased/used one of these?

http://www.evextend.com/Nissan-Leaf-Inverter-Kit.php

This seems really nice.
Is the price including the inverter "nice" for those in the know?

Emergency Power Wiring Kit for 2011…Emergency Power Wiring Kit for 2011-2012 Nissan Leaf with Inverter
$369.00Item number: EVEX-1001LItem price: $369.00Quantity: 1

I've been thinking of the same for a while... Does require ON mode for the car, correct?

Yes, On or Drive mode (with the car in Park) is necessary. The inclusive deal looks fine if the inverter is good. The deal for the wiring alone is a little pricier for what you get.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, On or Drive mode (with the car in Park) is necessary. The inclusive deal looks fine if the inverter is good. The deal for the wiring alone is a little pricier for what you get.

Thanks for the input. I'm saving up for this bad boy. =)

The owner of that company is a really smart guy (based in Central NY), and really cares about the quality. He has been selling these kits for a while, and have yet to hear a complaint.

He used my car to take measurements for the 2013 since the battery layout/PDM location changed.

I still have to get an inverter, but did have him install the wiring little over a year ago.

foolios said:
Has anyone purchased/used one of these?

http://www.evextend.com/Nissan-Leaf-Inverter-Kit.php

This seems really nice.

Been there-Done that back in December 2012.
This looks like it was taken right out of my thread :roll: .
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OVERVIEW_zps705a430d.jpg

lion said:
The owner of that company is a really smart guy (based in Central NY), and really cares about the quality. He has been selling these kits for a while, and have yet to hear a complaint.

He used my car to take measurements for the 2013 since the battery layout/PDM location changed.

I still have to get an inverter, but did have him install the wiring little over a year ago.

Have you seen his instruction set for installing the wiring? Is it pretty good?
I have a pure sine wave inverter. The wire kit seems expensive, but if the instructions are real clear and descriptive, that would be worth the extra cost.

I have one. In fact, that's my leaf pictured on the website. The kit is a good deal when you consider the thick wires and the built in fuse. Installing was pretty easy, but I'd be happy to answer specific questions if you have them. Also remember that he sells a pure sine wave inverter which gives a cleaner output but costs more. If you don't need one, you can get cheaper inverters on amazon.

Thank you for the information. That's what I needed to know.

Soon, very soon, *rubs hands together* mutters, "my precious"

JimSouCal said:
Does require ON mode for the car, correct?
Actually, it needs to be in READY mode. While ON mode will recharged the battery after it gets mostly discharged, that is hard on the 12V battery and the voltage will be lower than you want for operation of the inverter.
NasGoreList said:
hm wonder if I could run my gas furnace in the winter with this kit?
Not likely, since your furnace has a large fan which likely draws significant power. The furnace for our heat pump uses a 30A breaker at 240V (not including the 60A/240V for the electric emergency heaters and the 40A/240V for the outdoor unit). That means my furnace could draw as much as 7 kW. I wouldn't plan on putting more than about a 1 kW load on the LEAF's 12V system.

It looks like the onboard DC-DC is rated to 1700W, so 1.5 kW sustained with brief forays to 2 kW (buffered by the 12v batt) are probably aok.

My current genny is a 700W HarborFright $100 special. Not sure if I want to drop $350 just to double my capacity, and add a big convenience factor.

NasGoreList said:

I guess that depends on what you mean by "furnace"

If it's an air handler type unit as the other posted suggested, then it would depend on the size of the fan.

However, my gas Furnace is gas-hot-water, and it runs the system with no problems at all.

That's a Munchkin 200,000 BTU boiler, and 6 TACO circulator pumps with related controls.

No strain at all.

RegGuheert said:
JimSouCal said:
Actually, it needs to be in READY mode. While ON mode will recharged the battery after it gets mostly discharged, that is hard on the 12V battery and the voltage will be lower than you want for operation of the inverter.
So to be clear on my understanding, the READY mode, achieved on a 2011 by turning it on without depressing the brake, will power the onboard 12V charger, and maintain the LEAF's 12V battery, and allow for the constant draw of the inverter until the traction DC pack is drawn down to minimums?

Thinking out loud, I have a smaller clip on 12V inverter to 120VAC, that would power some smaller items (LCD lights) in the event of a black out.

JimSouCal said:
RegGuheert said:
JimSouCal said:
So to be clear on my understanding, the READY mode, achieved on a 2011 by turning it on without depressing the brake, will power the onboard 12V charger, and maintain the LEAF's 12V battery, and allow for the constant draw of the inverter until the traction DC pack is drawn down to minimums?

Thinking out loud, I have a smaller clip on 12V inverter to 120VAC, that would power some smaller items (LCD lights) in the event of a black out.

It has been my experience, that the car has to be in whatever "mode" you would be in to actually drive the car.
Otherwise......... darkness

A good power inverter is an absolute necessity to make the best use of this rolling powerbrick. But- It makes the most sense to have access to that power in the cabin where the passengers can make good use of it, in addition to having it permanently installed for use on demand.

t5zr.jpg

RegGuheert said:
JimSouCal said:
NasGoreList said:
Not likely, since your furnace has a large fan which likely draws significant power. The furnace for our heat pump uses a 30A breaker at 240V (not including the 60A/240V for the electric emergency heaters and the 40A/240V for the outdoor unit). That means my furnace could draw as much as 7 kW. I wouldn't plan on putting more than about a 1 kW load on the LEAF's 12V system.

you are mixing heat pump with gas furnace..gas furnace(in heating mode) only has to run the fan and controls on the electricity while the compressor stays off. other have wondered the same and people measured 5-10 amps of load when the fan is running so I think this set up would have enough capacity to run gas furnace in the heating mode. however I already have 4.5kw generator I bought for $300 in case we have power outage. It has been sitting unopened in the box for 2 years now...

JimSouCal said:
RegGuheert said:
]Actually, it needs to be in READY mode. While ON mode will recharged the battery after it gets mostly discharged, that is hard on the 12V battery and the voltage will be lower than you want for operation of the inverter.
No, that is ON mode. To enter READY mode, you need to press the button while depressing the brake.
KillaWhat said:
It has been my experience, that the car has to be in whatever "mode" you would be in to actually drive the car.
Otherwise......... darkness
Correct. That is READY mode.

NasGoreList said:
RegGuheert said:
JimSouCal said:
NasGoreList said:

you are mixing heat pump with gas furnace..gas furnace(in heating mode) only has to run the fan and controls on the electricity while the compressor stays off. other have wondered the same and people measured 5-10 amps of load when the fan is running so I think this set up would have enough capacity to run gas furnace in the heating mode. however I already have 4.5kw generator I bought for $300 in case we have power outage. It has been sitting unopened in the box for 2 years now...
Please read my post again. I am talking about the furnace for our heat pump. Just a fan and controls. No compressor or anything else.

Are you drawing 10A from 240V or 120V. If 240V, you may have trouble starting and running that fan. Our fan has a soft-start feature which reduces the start-up load, but many furnace fans may draw significantly more power to start than to run.

Back