Okay to leave unplugged in driveway?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ztev

Hi All! Getting ready to pick up a brand new 2022 Leaf SL Plus tomorrow! I will eventually be keeping it in my garage, but until I clear out some things, it will sit in the driveway. My outlet/EVSE is inside the garage, so I'm wondering if it's okay to bring the Leaf to the desired charge, then let it sit unplugged in the driveway until the next time it needs a charge. I work from home, so I won't necessarily use the car every day, and don't really want to draw attention to it by leaving it plugged in out in the open.

ztev said:
Hi All! Getting ready to pick up a brand new 2022 Leaf SL Plus tomorrow! I will eventually be keeping it in my garage, but until I clear out some things, it will sit in the driveway. My outlet/EVSE is inside the garage, so I'm wondering if it's okay to bring the Leaf to the desired charge, then let it sit unplugged in the driveway until the next time it needs a charge. I work from home, so I won't necessarily use the car every day, and don't really want to draw attention to it by leaving it plugged in out in the open.
Not sure I understand the question.

OF COURSE it is okay to leave your Leaf out in the open without being plugged in - in your driveway, at the grocery store, etc.

ztev said:

Yes, it will be fine. I'm sure you have read about issues on the Leaf when left "plugged in" for long periods of time (days) and it running down the 12V battery for some reason and that's the origin of the question?

OF COURSE it is okay to leave your Leaf out in the open without being plugged in - in your driveway, at the grocery store, etc.

I assumed as much, but just wanted to check. I know that letting it sit temporarily at a destination (grocery store, etc...) is fine, but I guess I should provide a couple more specifics about my scenario. It might be sitting unused for several days at a time in cold temperatures. Midwest winter, so potentially 0deg F or below at times.

I'm not sure of the exact numbers but the car will use some charge to keep the battery from freezing at very low temperatures.

So I'd say, don't leave it outside for weeks at sub-0F temps with the battery at less than 20% charge and you should be fine.

At very low temperatures the car will consume some power to keep the battery from freezing. If it's outside and below 0F for several weeks, the battery could run out of power and the battery could freeze. That's an extreme case and I've never heard of it happening but theoretically, it could.

ztev said:
I assumed as much, but just wanted to check. I know that letting it sit temporarily at a destination (grocery store, etc...) is fine, but I guess I should provide a couple more specifics about my scenario. It might be sitting unused for several days at a time in cold temperatures. Midwest winter, so potentially 0deg F or below at times.
You can let it sit for several weeks at time (there is a built-in battery heater if it gets too cold): just don't do it at very low or high SoC (ideal storage SoC is ~50%).

The one thing you don't want to do is leave the car sitting for days with a 100% charge. That isn't good for the battery. 30% to 90% is good in cooler weather, and 25-75% or 80% is better in warm weather. If you can, wait for the charge to drop to roughly 40% before recharging.

The lithium pack would do fine for several weeks sitting at 80% charge, e.g. charged to 9 or 10 bars.

Don't forget about the lead acid starter battery. i would consider putting a small charger on the 12V battery until it is full, then put a trickle charger to keep it at full charge, especially if it will be sitting for a week at a time.

Do both the 40kwh and the 62kwh batteries have heaters?

The owner's manual seems to be clear as mud on the 62. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong...

Also, the 12v should be charged periodically by the traction battery, although in older Leafs, the charging algorithm was pretty problematic. As far as I know, that shortcoming was eventually addressed.

Do I have this right?

-b

frontrangeleaf said:
Also, the 12v should be charged periodically by the traction battery, although in older Leafs, the charging algorithm was pretty problematic. As far as I know, that shortcoming was eventually addressed.

Do I have this right?

-b
The charging algorithm is better but it can't make up for the technology limitation of OEM Lead Acid batteries, they just don't last very long. My wife's 2018 Leaf 12V battery lasted roughly 3.5 years before I had to replace it. :(

My 2017 Leaf's 12V battery lasted only 4 years (a new low for any car I've ever owned). I tried to do the things I read about to keep it in good shape but to no avail.

I replaced it with an AGM battery which I hope will do better. Otherwise, I'd probably install the leads to run a battery tender as others have done.

Do I have this right?

My 2018 kept the battery low - in the 12.3 range. My housemate's 2020 does a great job - about 12.75.

frontrangeleaf said:
Do both the 40kwh and the 62kwh batteries have heaters?

The owner's manual seems to be clear as mud on the 62. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong...

Do I have this right?

-b
My interpretation of the owner manual is that 40 kWh batteries have internal resistance heaters like the older cars, but the 62 kWh batteries are kept from freezing by running accessory load (such as cabin heat) to draw current. The current flow is supposed to keep the battery from freezing. I have no way to test that in Phoenix, but have not heard of issues with 62 kWh LEAFs in cold climates. The traction battery will charge the 12V battery periodically. I have never connected an external 12V charger and my LEAFs have all been parked numerous times at the airport or my office for extended time.

Since there could be some energy used from the traction battery to keep itself warm, I suggest parking with about 90% SOC (state of charge) and then checking it after 4 or 5 days in cold weather to see how much charge is lost. Then adjust your charging times, if necessary, to keep the battery from getting too low.

goldbrick said:
My 2017 Leaf's 12V battery lasted only 4 years (a new low for any car I've ever owned). I tried to do the things I read about to keep it in good shape but to no avail.
That would be a record in Texas (or many other "warm climate" locations): I have never had a lead-acid 12v battery last 4 years!
OTOH, my Lithium 12v battery is going on 9 years (and no "battery tender" mess).

In Denver, my record is 7+ years of life - Marathon brand, not available anymore that I can find locally. Must have lasted too long... That wasn't on a maintainer either.

Of course, I also had a supposedly "best" battery from a local autoparts place go in 12 months - 3x. After the warranty replacements ran out, I switched to Bosch and never had a problem again.

Not all lead acids are made the same, folks. Yes, lithium should last longer. It had better, given the price difference. I typically see about 5-6 years from my starter batteries, though. I feel that's reasonable where we live.

I tend to buy bigger than needed, having grown up in the mid-west back when winters actually got cold. But heat is the bigger enemy. Not too bad in Denver, but I can imagine it's an issue south of here. Nowadays I shop for best value, and am prepared to pay for better experience.

Since the pandemic, I've put both of our ICE cars on battery maintainers, as we're not driving them much. The Audi is 6.5 years old, so far so good (knocks wood).

Back