Charging and OBC discussion split from Nissan Ariya thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
Once you have an EV, your opinions about what home wiring and OBCs might be more useful. Experience can teach. My opinions about horses are worthless, as I have never have maintained a horse. I have little experience with horses.
How long does it take you to decide that hitting your head with a hammer hurts and is unacceptable, before you stop?
90% of vehicles sold in Norway are EVs. I'd expect you to be in the last 10% here, based on your use case. Looking ahead, we are a decade behind Norway, so you have a decade or a bit more to whine about why you don't want an electric. And I'd expect used ICEs for another decade or two would be an option.

Why don't we pause this discussion until fuel cell car sales collapse as manufacturers give up, or *EV sales exceed 50%?

If I lived in Norway, a country ~10% smaller than California, had no need to travel outside it, and had the kind of bribes and infrastructure available to them that we don't have here, I'd have been one of the first 10% to get a BEV. As it is, I expect I'll be somewhere in the 50% range here. As to how long I have to wait, I've already been waiting more than a decade for a ZEV to become available that will allow me to resume taking out of state trips, and I'm damned tired of waiting.

I'm perfectly willing to put this particular round of the argument on hold, although we both know it will burble up again in a month or so. FCEV passenger cars will or won't become a viable consumer option depending on the speed and amount of improvement of BEVs and their infrastructure, vis a vis the rate of FCEVs likewise. FCEV or maybe even H2/ICE heavy transport, OTOH, is definitely going to be a major part of future ZEVs.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Again, you assume that the majority of the public shares your perceptions and priorities, and that H2 infrastructure can never be built. Well, in the case DCFC for long-distance trips, barring a corporation getting caught being very naughty such (non-Tesla) infrastructure still wouldn't exist here, and you couldn't do any such trips in your e-Tron, unless you make the whole trip a BEV adventure like Tony Williams' BC2BC.

Note that Tony's BC2BC got way too easy, and was no longer an adventure. Last one was in 2014. Tesla cars got too easy first, but it is now too easy for everyone.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=61b2bdda-3481-43de-9bec-cce196562c22

Trips in EVs getting easier is the trend, you should notice, and that is one thing that is dooming hydrogen cars. Not my perceptions or priorities. Why will governments and manufacturers continue to subsidize hydrogen cars?

Of course it got too easy, because the FC infrastructure got built, and except for Tesla all of it was built with government subsidies. Now, let's see you drive your e-Tron right now on I-80 between SLC and Cheyenne, or I-90 east of Missoula, or I-94 east of Billings, or I-25 north of . . .well, I could go on, but that poor horse is already dead. For that matter, let's remove all the DCFC stations that were built with government funds, or even just the EA ones (which is certainly government money), and see how well you can take a trip in your e-Tron. How does government-supplied infrastructure for BEVs somehow make it impossible to duplicate for FCEVs, when every government with a Hydrogen Strategy is subsidizing such infrastructure? From California's "2021 Annual Evaluation of Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Deployment and Hydrogen Fuel Station Network Development", page 6:
LCFS HRI Program Update

The LCFS HRI program (and its parallel for DC Fast Charging of electric vehicles) was launched in
2019 with the intent to support ZEV infrastructure development. Prior to these additions, hydrogen
station operators were eligible to generate LCFS credits based on the amount of hydrogen sold
at their station(s). This presented a scenario with limited near-term potential to generate LCFS
credits, given the small number of FCEVs currently on the road. With the implementation of the HRI
provision, participating station operators are able to generate additional LCFS credits based on the
difference between station capacity and fuel sales. The net effect is that participating hydrogen
stations generate a total number of LCFS credits based on the station capacity. This is a constant
credit generation opportunity that significantly exceeds the expected near-term opportunity based
on fuel sales alone.Individual stations are subject to certain limitations that affect the maximum number of credits they
may generate through the HRI provision and stations are only eligible for these credits for a limited
period of 15 years. In addition, the total effect on the LCFS program is capped in order to ensure
the overall LCFS program can still deliver on its expected greenhouse gas reductions. The HRI
program thus far appears to be an effective tool to support the development of hydrogen stations
in California. There are also indications that the program has had a role in station developers being
able to develop larger stations, and more of them, than previously anticipated. Some new high-
capacity stations participating in the program have also reduced the price that customers pay at the
pump by approximately 20 percent

OTOH, although we continue to subsidize them here in California (planning to build 200 H2 stations in state), surprisingly there are currently 23 stations either planned or in progress being built solely with private money (16 by First Element, and 7 by Iwatani). Please point to the number of DC FC stations in the U.S. that can say the same. As I previously mentioned, economies of scale have dropped the average grant per H2 station and per kg./day capacity considerably. Further from California's 2021 Annual report:
The announcement of awards in the CEC’s GFO-19-602 has fundamentally changed the outlook
of hydrogen fueling network development in California. The solicitation was the first in California
specifically designed to encourage the development of economies of scale in California’s hydrogen
fueling industry. The solicitation aimed to achieve this primarily through its structure that requested
applicants submit multi-year and multi-station plans. As reported in the 2020 Joint Agency Staff
Report on AB 8, the results of the solicitation appear to indicate that the solicitation was successful
is advancing economies of scale [14]. Figure 2 demonstrates how stations in GFO-19-602 are not only
larger than the previous solicitation (GFO-15-605), but the grant funding amount per station has also
decreased. Average grant funding amounts per kilogram/day of fueling capacity have dropped 65
percent between the last two solicitations. Stations awarded in GFO-15-605 received an average
grant award of $2,445 per kg/day fueling capacity; stations awarded in GFO-19-602 received an
average grant award of $847 per kg/day fueling capacity19.
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2021-09/2021_AB-8_FINAL.pdf Page 4.

Trips will remain easier in FCEVs (or ICEs) than BEVs given the same infrastructure because of their inherent capability, and will do so unless/until BEVs can achieve those same capabilities, or close enough that most people will accept the difference.
As far as road-tripping is concerned, our 2016 Toyota Mirai can only go where there are hydrogen filling stations. I recently described a clump of them in the LA basin and another cluster that serves the San Francisco area. There's also a lone station in a place called Coalinga that links these two regions, and another up near Donner Summit on the way to Lake Tahoe.

Turn back the clock to late 2012 and you'll see a map with just six Tesla Superchargers in more or less the same places. At the time, we marveled at how these revolutionary quick-charge stations would enable us to drive our newfangled 2013 Tesla Model S all the way to Lake Tahoe and back. Think of it!

You can see where this is going. Today's Hydrogen Highway is eerily similar to those early days of the Tesla Supercharger Network, and that realization recently prompted Jay Kavanagh and me to concoct a friendly contest. It's the 2016 Toyota Mirai versus the 2016 Tesla Model X, hydrogen versus electricity, fuel cell versus batteries. It's the Hydrogen Highway versus the Tesla Supercharger network.

Place your bets.

https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/mira...en-highway-vs-tesla-supercharger-network.html

I trust you remember which vehicle was faster on the return trip from SLT to Santa Monica, despite the much more limited infrastructure available to it that forced an initial detour 41 miles in the opposite direction then 100 miles on a heading about 70 degrees off the needed one, before finally heading towards the final destination? Just think what two (with a Mirai 2 or Nexo Blue, just 1) more H2 station(s) in the right place(s) would have achieved.

I've laid out what 'close enough' means for me and I suspect most potential BEV buyers, and we're still waiting to hear what you think it will take. I think the 500+ mile range Lucid Air (300 or so on trips when charging 20-80%, 300 miles in 20 min. charging) is pretty close, but until they can reduce the price by 75-80% (and offer a lot more types) it's not going to compete with ICEs, or FCEVs with appropriate infrastructure as above (still need 2/3rds price reduction to compare to a $50k Mirai 2) FTM. When they can combine the Lucid Air's range and charging speed (along with adequate longevity) with something like that below, that will probably do it:
. . . The company teased upcoming new electric vehicles including a Chevrolet small SUV that will cost around $30,000, as well as electric trucks from Chevrolet and GMC, crossover SUVs from Buick, and luxury vehicles from Cadillac. . . .

The $30,000 Chevy SUV should bring serious sales to GM because it's the size of the Equinox, GM's second-best-selling vehicle, President Mark Reuss said. He said the company is working on a smaller Chevy Blazer electric, as well as a smaller vehicle at a lower price point. He gave no details.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/10/06/gm-revenue-ev-sales-investor-event/

GRA said:
WetEV said:
Note that Tony's BC2BC got way too easy, and was no longer an adventure. Last one was in 2014. Tesla cars got too easy first, but it is now too easy for everyone.

Trips in EVs getting easier is the trend, you should notice, and that is one thing that is dooming hydrogen cars. Not my perceptions or priorities. Why will governments and manufacturers continue to subsidize hydrogen cars?

Of course it got too easy, because the FC infrastructure got built, and except for Tesla all of it was built with government subsidies.

Notice that Tesla got built first. EA is complex, EA is mostly VW being required, forced, ordered and compelled to do just exactly what VW wanted to do.

GRA said:
For that matter, let's remove all the DCFC stations that were built with government funds,

Don't stop there, also remove all the roads that were built with government funds. Then your horse can shine.

GRA said:
impossible to duplicate for FCEVs, when every government with a Hydrogen Strategy is subsidizing such infrastructure?

Impossible? Of course not. Just very very expensive and very very unlikely to be useful. In short, a mostly complete waste of money, if expanded beyond a prototype scale.

A few thousand HFCEVs makes sense. Automotive is a good test bench for other applications.

GRA said:
Trips will remain easier in FCEVs (or ICEs) than BEVs given the same infrastructure because of their inherent capability, and will do so unless/until BEVs can achieve those same capabilities, or close enough that most people will accept the difference.

Felgercarb.

Example. Closest DCFC to me is 17 miles away, about a 60 minute round trip drive, and I don't often go that way. So mostly it would take me an hour out of my day everytime I needed to fuel: rather than a few seconds to plug in.

BEVs are just more convenient than either ICEs or FCEVs for normal daily driving.

GRA said:
I've laid out what 'close enough' means for me and I suspect most potential BEV buyers, and we're still waiting to hear what you think it will take.

To what market percentage? When you get to 'close enough', then yes, we have almost all potential BEV buyers. But the tail end of the curve isn't interesting. Of more interest is 10%, 20% and 50%. And frankly, I don't know.

Demand for EVs is crazy now, relative to supply. "Yet right now, we think it's a terrible time to buy a new EV. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDSQMvANp3w

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:

Of course it got too easy, because the FC infrastructure got built, and except for Tesla all of it was built with government subsidies.

Notice that Tesla got built first. EA is complex, EA is mostly VW being required, forced, ordered and compelled to do just exactly what VW wanted to do.

Tesla didn't have a choice. As Elon said way back when, "we can't wait for someone else to build a charging network," or words to that effect, and he was right - if Teslas (or any other BEVs FTM) are going to be (and seen to be) useful for more than local use, you've got to have DCFC infrastructure. Unlike established automakers Tesla was totally dependent on BEV sales, so they had to build such an infrastructure, or they'd be trying to sell $80k city cars. Rivian's thinking seems to be similar. Other companies weren't so dependent - can you imagine what kind of DCFC infrastructure we'd have now if we were reliant on Nissan building it? One FC per dealership, usable only by customers, and probably out of order for months.

"EA is mostly VW being required, forced, ordered and compelled to do just exactly what VW wanted to do"? What VW wanted to do is keep building and selling diesels, not be caught cheating and then be forced to switch to BEVs and build a charging infrastructure, while also paying tens of billions in fines and seeing diesel sales rapidly dwindling. Dieselgate was the best thing to happen to non-Tesla BEVs, at least in this country, probably in Canada also and maybe in Europe as well.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
For that matter, let's remove all the DCFC stations that were built with government funds,

Don't stop there, also remove all the roads that were built with government funds. Then your horse can shine.

So you agree that without government funded infrastructure, none of this would have come about.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
impossible to duplicate for FCEVs, when every government with a Hydrogen Strategy is subsidizing such infrastructure?

Impossible? Of course not. Just very very expensive and very very unlikely to be useful. In short, a mostly complete waste of money, if expanded beyond a prototype scale.

A few thousand HFCEVs makes sense. Automotive is a good test bench for other applications.

We'll find out how useful, since we and numerous other governments and companies are spending the money, along with similar amounts on BEVs, syn- and bio fuels, none of which is as of yet guaranteed success in the marketplace (for mass market private vehicles. Commercial vehicles are a different matter, and their success is pretty much guaranteed). Here's just this week's worth of H2 & FCEV articles from GCC (not counting those for commercial vehicles, which can be found in that topic): https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14744&p=611231#p611231

WetEV said:
GRA said:

Felgercarb.

Example. Closest DCFC to me is 17 miles away, about a 60 minute round trip drive, and I don't often go that way. So mostly it would take me an hour out of my day everytime I needed to fuel: rather than a few seconds to plug in.

BEVs are just more convenient than either ICEs or FCEVs for normal daily driving.

Which, as I've said many times including a post or two back (but you keep ignoring that) is a point not at issue, provided you have convenient, guaranteed charging at home, work or someplace else you regularly leave your car for extended periods of time. For those who don't, and for trips, they are less convenient and flexible.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
I've laid out what 'close enough' means for me and I suspect most potential BEV buyers, and we're still waiting to hear what you think it will take.

To what market percentage? When you get to 'close enough', then yes, we have almost all potential BEV buyers. But the tail end of the curve isn't interesting. Of more interest is 10%, 20% and 50%. And frankly, I don't know.

Of course you don't know, no one knows. I'm asking for your best estimate just as I've given mine, of what it will take to convince the early or even late majority, so we don't have to consider what are referred to as the 'laggards' in Geoffrey Moore's seminal "Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers" (Note, the 3rd edition has a new subtitle, which is even more on point: "Marketing and Selling Disruptive Products to Mainstream Customers"). From the blurb:
In Crossing the Chasm, Geoffrey A. Moore shows that in the Technology Adoption Life Cycle—which begins with innovators and moves to early adopters, early majority, late majority, and laggards—there is a vast chasm between the early adopters and the early majority. While early adopters are willing to sacrifice for the advantage of being first, the early majority waits until they know that the technology actually offers improvements in productivity. The challenge for innovators and marketers is to narrow this chasm and ultimately accelerate adoption across every segment.
https://www.amazon.com/Crossing-Chasm-3rd-Disruptive-Mainstream/dp/0062292986

I've read the 2nd ed. (1999) but need to find a copy of the third (2014), as it's updated with new examples. Not sure if PEVs are in there but they might be, and they and/or FCEVs will certainly qualify as disruptive if they succeed.

WetEV said:
Demand for EVs is crazy now, relative to supply. "Yet right now, we think it's a terrible time to buy a new EV. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDSQMvANp3w

Demand for all cars is crazy now, due to supply, which is why used car prices are also ridiculously high.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:

Tesla didn't have a choice.

Bingo.

GRA said:
"EA is mostly VW being required, forced, ordered and compelled to do just exactly what VW wanted to do"? What VW wanted to do is keep building and selling diesels, not be caught cheating

Once caught, VW didn't have a choice. The success of the Tesla Model 3 shows that other automakers also don't have a choice. Along with batteries out of the lab into prototype production. Maybe they did in 2012. They don't today.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:
So you agree that without government funded infrastructure, none of this would have come about.

Yea. Romans (and the Incas and ...) figured out that large cities needed roads.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:

We'll find out how useful, since we and numerous other governments and companies are spending the money, along with similar amounts on BEVs, syn- and bio fuels, none of which is as of yet guaranteed success in the marketplace (for mass market private vehicles. Commercial vehicles are a different matter, and their success is pretty much guaranteed).

I'm sure your Nicola stock will do well. :lol: :roll: :lol:

Commercial vehicles will be different, but I sure don't see the guaranteed success for hydrogen.

Hydrogen or perhaps liquid fuels synthesized from hydrogen seem possible to be long haul aviation's future. A few thousand FCEVs for twenty years or so makes building the first large fuel cell aircraft a whole lot easier.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:

Felgercarb.

Which, as I've said many times including a post or two back (but you keep ignoring that) is a point not at issue, provided you have convenient, guaranteed charging at home, work or someplace else you regularly leave your car for extended periods of time. For those who don't, and for trips, they are less convenient and flexible.

Which I keep need to point out as your focus is on the few trips were ICE still currently has an advantage. FCEVs don't have an advantage.

On a daily driving basis, BEVs are just more convenient than either ICEs or FCEVs. Most driving is local. Most new car buyers are homeowners. Renters mostly buy used cars, so they will be later.

As for trips, it keeps getting closer, yes ICE will always have somewhat of an advantage. Eventually, it will not matter.

BEVs can get to well over half of the new car market before your statement "those who don't" matters. That is likely a decade or more in the future.

Do the math.

https://insideevs.com/news/540267/tesla-cofounder-oems-ev-switch/

FCEVs don't have a big future. Or if they do, it's a niche. Farm tractors?? Fueling is a problem. Long distance travel to remote places? Fueling is a problem. Long distance travel between cities? Why not take a train or a plane? Long haul ships/trucks/trains?? Maybe.

WetEV said:
GRA said:

GRA said:
Of course you don't know, no one knows. I'm asking for your best estimate just as I've given mine, of what it will take to convince the early or even late majority,

I don't see a threshold, I see a distribution. 1% becomes 2% becomes 4% becomes 8% becomes 16% becomes 32% ... Even in hindsight, it may not have any "event" or "feature" that makes a "close enough threshold". The interesting thing isn't what gets 50%, but what keeps the doubling going. And yes, someplace past 50% it must stop doubling.

50% can't happen overnight, do the math.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
Tesla didn't have a choice.

Bingo.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
"EA is mostly VW being required, forced, ordered and compelled to do just exactly what VW wanted to do"? What VW wanted to do is keep building and selling diesels, not be caught cheating

Once caught, VW didn't have a choice. The success of the Tesla Model 3 shows that other automakers also don't have a choice. Along with batteries out of the lab into prototype production. Maybe they did in 2012. They don't today.

They don't today thanks to government mandates, not large customer demand. Tesla's success is due as much to be being the cool new kid as well as for a long time having the only BEV that could realistically be more than a local/intra-regional car, thanks to the SC network.
Now that they have competition, are no longer the cool new kid and other BEVs have access to a similar infastructure, it'll be interesting to see how they do.

WetEV said:
GRA said:

Yea. Romans (and the Incas and ...) figured out that large cities needed roads.

Uh huh, transport techs need supporting infrastructure to make them viable, or at least allow them to fully use their advantages.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
We'll find out how useful, since we and numerous other governments and companies are spending the money, along with similar amounts on BEVs, syn- and bio fuels, none of which is as of yet guaranteed success in the marketplace (for mass market private vehicles. Commercial vehicles are a different matter, and their success is pretty much guaranteed).

I'm sure your Nicola stock will do well. :lol: :roll: :lol:

Commercial vehicles will be different, but I sure don't see the guaranteed success for hydrogen.

Hydrogen or perhaps liquid fuels synthesized from hydrogen seem possible to be long haul aviation's future. A few thousand FCEVs for twenty years or so makes building the first large fuel cell aircraft a whole lot easier.

You are ignoring the move towards FCEVs (or H2 burning ICEs) for trucks, trains and ships (ammonia and/or LHCs likely for ships, if not LH2). I posted the link in my preceding post to this week's announcements of programs intended to move ahead in those areas (see below). As has been previously stated, both the number and scale of the H2 and related projects being announced has increased greatly in the past 18-24 months or so.

WetEV said:
GRA said:

Which I keep need to point out as your focus is on the few trips were ICE still currently has an advantage. FCEVs don't have an advantage.

Because as yet they lack the infrastructure. Where that exists they have exactly the same advantages as ICEs do over BEVs. I focus on the trips (as well as people who don't have guaranteed charging) because they are one of the main reasons the public aren't yet willing to go BEV. We both know that a much larger % of the U.S. car-owning population, mainly multi-car households owning a detached, single-family home, could make use of a BEV now, but don't choose to.

WetEV said:
On a daily driving basis, BEVs are just more convenient than either ICEs or FCEVs. Most driving is local. Most new car buyers are homeowners. Renters mostly buy used cars, so they will be later.

As for trips, it keeps getting closer, yes ICE will always have somewhat of an advantage. Eventually, it will not matter.

BEVs can get to well over half of the new car market before your statement "those who don't" matters. That is likely a decade or more in the future.

Do the math.

https://insideevs.com/news/540267/tesla-cofounder-oems-ev-switch/

FCEVs don't have a big future. Or if they do, it's a niche. Farm tractors?? Fueling is a problem. Long distance travel to remote places? Fueling is a problem. Long distance travel between cities? Why not take a train or a plane? Long haul ships/trucks/trains?? Maybe.

Fueling is a problem? Of course it is until you build the infrastructure. Did you not bother to read any of the articles in the link from this week? Here's some - I'll save you the trouble of clicking on it:

Nikola and TC Energy to co-develop large-scale clean hydrogen hubs
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/1 ... ikola.html

Clean Energy awarded $13M contract to build hydrogen station and supply fuel for Foothill Transit buses
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/1 ... nergy.html

Hyundai Mobis investing $1.1B in 2 new hydrogen fuel cell system plants in Korea
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/1 ... mobis.html

Hyundai North America joins Shell Hydrogen’s Project Neptune to grow hydrogen refueling infrastructure in California
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/1 ... ptune.html

Hydrogen Heavy Duty Vehicle Industry Group signs agreements to industrialize 70 MPa high-flow refueling; H70HF
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/1 ... h70hf.html

HyPoint working with BASF New Business to develop high-performance hydrogen fuel cell membranes for aviation; >3,000 W/kg
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/1 ... point.html

Repsol produces renewable hydrogen from biomethane from urban solid waste
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/1 ... epsol.html

IDTechEx: market value of on-road fuel-cell vehicles to grow to $160B in 2042; 23.9% CAGR over 20 years
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/1 ... echex.html

That's an awful lot of 'niche', and that's just one week worth of announcements. Naturally, not all will succeed and forecasts are a dime a dozen, but that's true for any new project or tech.

WetEV said:
WetEV said:

GRA said:
Of course you don't know, no one knows. I'm asking for your best estimate just as I've given mine, of what it will take to convince the early or even late majority,

I don't see a threshold, I see a distribution. 1% becomes 2% becomes 4% becomes 8% becomes 16% becomes 32% ... Even in hindsight, it may not have any "event" or "feature" that makes a "close enough threshold". The interesting thing isn't what gets 50%, but what keeps the doubling going. And yes, someplace past 50% it must stop doubling.

No one has ever said 50% can happen overnight, but that's irrelevant to my question. What operational capability (range, charging speed, longevity etc.) @ what price do you think it will take the typical non-ideological mass market consumer to be willing to switch to BEVs? It's a simple enough question.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
The success of the Tesla Model 3 shows that other automakers also don't have a choice. Along with batteries out of the lab into prototype production. Maybe they did in 2012. They don't today.
They don't today thanks to government mandates, not large customer demand.

EVs have real advantages over ICEs. You just keep ignoring that.

Pikes Peak Hillclimb Unlimited is just that. Unlimited. Propane? Diesel? Natural gas? Sure. Turbine? Sure. Gasoline? Dual turbos? Quad turbos? Blowers? Front wheel drive? Rear wheel drive? All wheel drive? Sure. No limit.

Wikipedia said:
Anything goes in the Unlimited Division as long as it passes safety inspection and meets the PPIHC’s general rules. The Unlimited Division features the most exotic vehicles, most of them built specifically for this race. These race cars have the best chance of setting a new overall race record. In 2018, Romain Dumas set a new record of 7 minutes 57.148 seconds in the all-electric Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak, beating Sébastien Loeb's previous record by over 15 seconds.

No government mandate there. None. Just a steep, winding road. The "Race To The Clouds".

Propane has won (1971). Turbines have run, but not won. Hybrids have run, not won. Course record held by an BEV. All-electric.

Let us know when a fool cell tries it. We will wait.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:

No one has ever said 50% can happen overnight, but that's irrelevant to my question. What operational capability (range, charging speed, longevity etc.) @ what price do you think it will take the typical non-ideological mass market consumer to be willing to switch to BEVs? It's a simple enough question.

Actually your question is not a simple question. Things take time. Like building manufacturing plants, infrastructure, and the diffusing of ideas and change. Also, lots of things change all the time, such as the gasoline price. The "s.c$50%" or set of capabilities and price that would work to convert half of the people with $10 gasoline is rather different than with $2 gasoline. The state of the economy, the state of politics, and other developments all impact this. Add to that military situation in the Middle East, collapse of glaciers in Antarctica and unknowns that we don't even have a clue about today.
Even once the s.c$50% has been reached, there very likely would be a time delay as manufacturing plants are built, infrastructure is built, and ideas diffuse. Everything takes time.

The reason why I keep answering not a threshold, a distribution, is that this is a journey, not a destination. When walking to somewhere, take a step at a time.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:

Actually your question is not a simple question. Things take time. Like building manufacturing plants, infrastructure, and the diffusing of ideas and change. Also, lots of things change all the time, such as the gasoline price. The "s.c$50%" or set of capabilities and price that would work to convert half of the people with $10 gasoline is rather different than with $2 gasoline. The state of the economy, the state of politics, and other developments all impact this. Add to that military situation in the Middle East, collapse of glaciers in Antarctica and unknowns that we don't even have a clue about today.
Even once the s.c$50% has been reached, there very likely would be a time delay as manufacturing plants are built, infrastructure is built, and ideas diffuse. Everything takes time.

The reason why I keep answering not a threshold, a distribution, is that this is a journey, not a destination. When walking to somewhere, take a step at a time.

You've once again misinterpreted my question. I'm asking you what capabilities, price etc. you think it will take to get mainstream car buyers to be willing to switch in the U.S., assuming nothing significantly changes. Obviously, higher gas prices among other issues (subsidies/perks/mandates/infrastructure) shift the calculus (rural FC infrastructure is crucial for me), but I'm not asking what car 50% will buy; I'm asking what capabilities and price a BEV car must have for the typical consumer to conclude it will be an adequate replacement (including value for money) for an ICE, assuming everything else is changes relatively slowly.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
The success of the Tesla Model 3 shows that other automakers also don't have a choice. Along with batteries out of the lab into prototype production. Maybe they did in 2012. They don't today.

I don't ignore their advantages, I've stated them on numerous occasions and have given specific examples of same (see personal example below). But I also don't ignore their disadvantages (something you tend to ignore or treat as of no consequence), and for me and the vast majority of potential buyers, for now their advantages don't outweigh their disadvantages absent large subsidies and perks and/or strict mandates.

WetEV said:
Pikes Peak Hillclimb Unlimited is just that. Unlimited. Propane? Diesel? Natural gas? Sure. Turbine? Sure. Gasoline? Dual turbos? Quad turbos? Blowers? Front wheel drive? Rear wheel drive? All wheel drive? Sure. No limit.

Wikipedia said:
Anything goes in the Unlimited Division as long as it passes safety inspection and meets the PPIHC’s general rules. The Unlimited Division features the most exotic vehicles, most of them built specifically for this race. These race cars have the best chance of setting a new overall race record. In 2018, Romain Dumas set a new record of 7 minutes 57.148 seconds in the all-electric Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak, beating Sébastien Loeb's previous record by over 15 seconds.

No government mandate there. None. Just a steep, winding road. The "Race To The Clouds".

Propane has won (1971). Turbines have run, but not won. Hybrids have run, not won. Course record held by an BEV. All-electric.

Sure, if I wanted to buy a car solely for that particular purpose, a BEV might be at the top of my list. In fact, here's what I wrote commenting on my Bolt trip to the Sierra and back last year:
A few final items re the Bolt. Coming back over Sonora Pass in daylight allowed me to push it more, and no mistake, this thing's a pocket rocket. I think the last time I had that much fun on a winding two-lane was when my friend let me drive his M3 convertible! Not only does it handle well, but passing's a cinch in the mountains. Nothing like having sea level power at any altitude.

OTOH, if I wanted to pick a propulsion system to win the Indy or Daytona 500, a BEV would be at the bottom of my list, because it wouldn't have the necessary range. To make an even more direct comparison, compare the length of the typical Formula 1 race with the typical Formula E race. Horses for courses.

But these are all highly specialized, single-purpose vehicles that have little or no relevance to the typical driver's needs. Even if they could, most people wouldn't buy a Formula 1 car for commuting and grocery runs, so I'm not sure why you keep using the Pike's Peak Hill Climb as if it proves the overall superiority of BEVs for the typical consumer. Change the race to require them to start 300 miles away and return the same, and where's the BEV going to finish? A PHEV, OTOH. . .

For the vast majority of people such capabilities are irrelevant, just as a Model S Plaid+ sub-two second 0-60 times are. They may like them, but there are other capabilities that are more important to most people.

GRA said:
You've once again misinterpreted my question. I'm asking you what capabilities, price etc. you think it will take to get mainstream car buyers to be willing to switch in the U.S., assuming nothing significantly changes. Obviously, higher gas prices among other issues (subsidies/perks/mandates/infrastructure) shift the calculus (rural FC infrastructure is crucial for me), but I'm not asking what car 50% will buy; I'm asking what capabilities and price a BEV car must have for the typical consumer to conclude it will be an adequate replacement (including value for money) for an ICE, assuming everything else is changes relatively slowly.

Again, you ignore my answer.

What matters now is what capabilities, price and such to get from 2% market share to 4% market share. "Mainstream new car buyer" isn't even part of the possibilities today or two years from now, the battery plants needed for the "mainstream" or median buyer have yet to have ground broken. Much less the details of the resulting vehicles determined.

And still less the details of the mainstream used car buyer, and the less still of last 10% of buyers dependent on remote rural infrastructure and similar sob stories.

Norway is already to "mainstream".

GRA said:
I focus on the trips (as well as people who don't have guaranteed charging) because they are one of the main reasons the public aren't yet willing to go BEV. We both know that a much larger % of the U.S. car-owning population, mainly multi-car households owning a detached, single-family home, could make use of a BEV now, but don't choose to.

Even if the majority of the new car buying population wanted an electric today, they couldn't buy one. For years. So something must stop them.

Cost seems to be the main stopper. Not trips. Electric cars are more expensive now, but not for very much longer.

Trips are getting less of a problem. Your examples of where BEVs can't go keep changing.

FCEV is dead.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
Again, FCEV is dead. ICE will outlive it.

Fueling is a problem? Of course it is until you build the infrastructure. Did you not bother to read any of the articles in the link from this week?

Notice that none of the links have anything to do with farm hydrogen fueling. You don't have an answer, so you throw up a bunch of niche biofuels, aviation, trucking and such.

Hydrogen will have some niche applications. And even some mainstream ones, as hydrogen is being used in industrial applications now.

The FCEV is dead.

GRA said:
That's an awful lot of 'niche',

Exactly.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:

I don't ignore their advantages, I've stated them on numerous occasions and have given specific examples of same (see personal example below). But I also don't ignore their disadvantages (something you tend to ignore or treat as of no consequence), and for me and the vast majority of potential buyers, for now their advantages don't outweigh their disadvantages absent large subsidies and perks and/or strict mandates.

About 2025, BEV and ICE will hit showroom price parity without subsidies. That's about what Norway's subsidies provide. And Norway is well over half of new cars as BEVs now.

Sometime before 2030, BEVs will be over half of new cars sold.

You don't ignore BEVs disadvantages, you focus on them.

GRA said:
WetEV said:

Wikipedia said:

Sure, if I wanted to buy a car solely for that particular purpose, a BEV might be at the top of my list.

So then let's pick a car as a daily driver. Charge in garage, nice driving, quieter and more relaxing, cleaner, not smelling like gasoline and dirty motor oil, cheaper running costs... BEV does this better as well

GRA said:
OTOH, if I wanted to pick a propulsion system to win the Indy or Daytona 500, a BEV would be at the bottom of my list, because it wouldn't have the necessary range.

A turbine would be at the top of the list. Rules made turbine cars not competitive after 1968, so don't bother. And while a BEV today wouldn't be competitive against the ICE cars, note that a 500 mile BEV race with no recharging is realistic today. Sure, would be at near highway speed. With double energy density, likely this decade, might start to get more interesting.

GRA said:
But these are all highly specialized, single-purpose vehicles that have little or no relevance to the typical driver's needs. Even if they could, most people wouldn't buy a Formula 1 car for commuting and grocery runs, so I'm not sure why you keep using the Pike's Peak Hill Climb as if it proves the overall superiority of BEVs for the typical consumer.

Because BEVs are better that commuting and grocery runs, of course. FCEVs are not better at anything.

FCEVs are dead.

WetEV said:
GRA said:

What matters now is what capabilities, price and such to get from 2% market share to 4% market share. "Mainstream new car buyer" isn't even part of the possibilities today or two years from now, the battery plants needed for the "mainstream" or median buyer have yet to have ground broken. Much less the details of the resulting vehicles determined.

And still less the details of the mainstream used car buyer, and the less still of last 10% of buyers dependent on remote rural infrastructure and similar sob stories.

I ignore your answer because it's not in reply to my question. Which is what do you think it will take to convince mainstream buyers here to switch? That' isn't a matter of a few % here or there, it's a basic question of capability and price. Mainstream consumers have an idea of what they expect a car to do and how much they're willing to pay for it, and I'm asking you what you think those numbers are.

As for Norway, as I wrote before, given large enough subsidies, perks and mandates you can make a BEV mainstream, at least in some areas where range is less of an issue. Norway's about 10% smaller than California, with most of the population living in the southern third, and only a single through road running from north to south. The U.S. is a continental-sized country, with climate and transportation options to match.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
I focus on the trips (as well as people who don't have guaranteed charging) because they are one of the main reasons the public aren't yet willing to go BEV. We both know that a much larger % of the U.S. car-owning population, mainly multi-car households owning a detached, single-family home, could make use of a BEV now, but don't choose to.

Even if the majority of the new car buying population wanted an electric today, they couldn't buy one. For years. So something must stop them.

Cost seems to be the main stopper. Not trips. Electric cars are more expensive now, but not for very much longer.

Trips are getting less of a problem. Your examples of where BEVs can't go keep changing.

Sure, trips are getting easier as BEVs and the infrastructure improve. But your contention that cost alone is what's stopping people isn't born out by surveys. Price, range, and charging concerns are the big three items, with the exact order bouncing around from survey to survey.

WetEV said:
FCEV is dead.

So you contend (I assume you mean for passenger cars) many of the manufacturers disagree, as reflected in their projections for future sales in the latest California annual report. we'll see who's correct.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
Again, FCEV is dead. ICE will outlive it.

Fueling is a problem? Of course it is until you build the infrastructure. Did you not bother to read any of the articles in the link from this week?

Notice that none of the links have anything to do with farm hydrogen fueling. You don't have an answer, so you throw up a bunch of niche biofuels, aviation, trucking and such.

Hydrogen will have some niche applications. And even some mainstream ones, as hydrogen is being used in industrial applications now.

The FCEV is dead.

In other words, you choose to ignore all the companies and countries developing/deploying FCEVs and related techs in the areas which you dismiss.

As to farm H2, I consider that a niche; maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but there have been developments in that area, and I've posted links to same. Here's one (consider the source applies): https://fuelcellsworks.com/news/hydrogen-fuel-is-shaping-the-future-of-agriculture/

Take a train or plane? Sure, See the articles on FCEV trains and planes I've provided links to in the "AFV Truck and Commercial Vehicle" topic.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
That's an awful lot of 'niche',

Exactly.

In fact, it's so much niche that it isn't niche anymore. Or do you consider long-haul trucking to be a tiny niche, especially given the current evidence of just how critical it is to our economy, as well as the high % of air pollution generated by trucks as a proportion of the total transportation pollution?

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:

About 2025, BEV and ICE will hit showroom price parity without subsidies. That's about what Norway's subsidies provide. And Norway is well over half of new cars as BEVs now.

Sometime before 2030, BEVs will be over half of new cars sold.

You don't ignore BEVs disadvantages, you focus on them.

We hope that BEVs will hit showroom price parity, although even if they do there doesn't seem to be any guarantee that they'll have parity in capability by then. It would seem very difficult to do at a $100/kWh price point, assuming they achieve that by then; DoE's new goal is $60/kWh some years beyond that.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:

Sure, if I wanted to buy a car solely for that particular purpose, a BEV might be at the top of my list.

So then let's pick a car as a daily driver. Charge in garage, nice driving, quieter and more relaxing, cleaner, not smelling like gasoline and dirty motor oil, cheaper running costs... BEV does this better as well

It does it better for you. Obviously, the vast majority of consumers disagree with you, because they don't buy cars just for their routine driving. If they did most of them would be buying Smarts or Apteras for commuting,

WetEV said:
GRA said:
OTOH, if I wanted to pick a propulsion system to win the Indy or Daytona 500, a BEV would be at the bottom of my list, because it wouldn't have the necessary range.

A turbine would be at the top of the list. Rules made turbine cars not competitive after 1968, so don't bother. And while a BEV today wouldn't be competitive against the ICE cars, note that a 500 mile BEV race with no recharging is realistic today. Sure, would be at near highway speed. With double energy density, likely this decade, might start to get more interesting.

If and when we get double energy density, BEVs will be a lot more competitive for consumers. But we have no guarantees that they'll get there.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
But these are all highly specialized, single-purpose vehicles that have little or no relevance to the typical driver's needs. Even if they could, most people wouldn't buy a Formula 1 car for commuting and grocery runs, so I'm not sure why you keep using the Pike's Peak Hill Climb as if it proves the overall superiority of BEVs for the typical consumer.

Because BEVs are better that commuting and grocery runs, of course. FCEVs are not better at anything.

FCEVs are dead.

A perfect example of you ignoring FCEV advantages. An FCEV, like an ICE or any car with long range combined with rapid refueling, is superior for trips beyond a BEV's unrecharged range. Add in no loss of range in cold temps from heater use due to waste heat, plus greater longevity, to the list of advantages FCEVs have over BEVs. For those without guaranteed charging, having fueling divorced from where you live and work is also an advantage (a disadvantage if the opposite is true). Better for commuting and grocery runs? Depends on the charging situation, the length of the commute, and the climate, although BEVs are certainly more efficient. But then that's why I believe a mix of BEVs and PHFCEVs with some FCEVs (actually, they're all FCHEVs) would be a good mix. Neither of us will determine whether this or that tech succeeds in the marketplace, no matter how many times someone here says it's dead.

At least here in BC it’s not even on the map to convince people to switch to EV. There are simply almost none available. There are literally no new EV’s available for sale within a 100 kilometres of us. At a provincial level there are some Mustang Mach E’s and a few left over new 2020 Nissan Leafs showed up for sale. (Possible demo models but yes they are 2020’s. No 2021 or 2022 models. Obviously no bolts. The Tesla centres deliver about 200 Tesla’s a day for 4 or 5 weeks every quarter and then its over again until the next quarter. Demand is high but people have given up on finding any at dealers. Our local VW dealer says they will look at them more closely in 2023.

Adaptation rate of EV’s is very high in this province, but it’s primarily just Tesla. And that’s mostly because of availability.

Right now there are shortages of all new cars not just BEVs, which is why prices have jumped so much for both new and used cars. On the positive side for BEVs, California's gas prices have been $4 or more for about six months now, and that's about the time it takes for people to seriously consider a more efficient car or an alternate fuel. My closest (1.5 blocks) station just bumped up another $0.10 today to $4.60/gal., and they're neither the most or less expensive in town.

Of course, we also have high electricity prices (see cwerdna's Silicon Valley rates in another topic), so even with continued high gas prices making the decision to switch isn't that straightforward on an economic basis.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:

I ignore your answer because it's not in reply to my question. Which is what do you think it will take to convince mainstream buyers here to switch? That' isn't a matter of a few % here or there, it's a basic question of capability and price. Mainstream consumers have an idea of what they expect a car to do and how much they're willing to pay for it, and I'm asking you what you think those numbers are.

As for Norway, as I wrote before, given large enough subsidies, perks and mandates you can make a BEV mainstream, at least in some areas where range is less of an issue. Norway's about 10% smaller than California, with most of the population living in the southern third, and only a single through road running from north to south. The U.S. is a continental-sized country, with climate and transportation options to match.

The world's economies are linked. We import and export a lot of things, and our local market may well follow a different path as it already is. Worldwide:

mWTa6WX.png

The USA is a small fraction of the total. I'm sure that the smaller slices you look at the more variability you will see. And the growth has been exponential. Looks likely to continue, which is about as far as I'd care to speculate.

It isn't a "basic question of capability and price". It is far more complex. Sure, the car must meet the wants and needs of the buyer, including the buyer's budget. Yet consider two different possible futures. One with $2 per gallon gasoline, and one with $10 per gallon gasoline. Which one will have the higher BEV demand? Duh. Repeat for low and high real interest rates. Repeat for various technological change over the next decade, such as solid state batteries doubling or tripling energy density. And a long list of other factors.

People are far more complex than you give them credit for. Projecting your wants and needs onto the "mainstream buyer" isn't interesting, useful or helpful. The world is far more complex that you give it credit for. While you drive long distances to very remote places, this isn't "mainstream". Most people's range wants and needs are rather lower than yours, as people keep pointing out and you keep ignoring.

You want a simple answer to a complex question? OK, 42. Happy? I even bolded it for you.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:

Sure, trips are getting easier as BEVs and the infrastructure improve. But your contention that cost alone is what's stopping people isn't born out by surveys. Price, range, and charging concerns are the big three items, with the exact order bouncing around from survey to survey.

Charging concerns are significant and real for a minority. A declining concern. Not an issue for the next couple of doublings.

Range is a declining concern. Who really wants to sit in a car without a stop for 500 miles? How about 800? 1000? Not an issue for the next couple of doublings.

That leaves price. Was a declining concern, before the chip shortage drove up all auto prices.

WetEV said:
Wikipedia said:

I'm not surprised we haven't seen one given that (a) HFCEVs are rare beasts to begin with and (b) there's little or no H2 fueling infrastructure in Colorado.

But I see no technical reason why an HFCEV couldn't be competitive with BEV in this race if a sponsor wanted to try it.

Back