The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some recent screen shots showing cell voltages at various SOC for my 2019 SL Plus (9/5 42 Gids; 9/10 84 Gids; 9/11 full charge 674 Gids; 9/12 134 Gids): I had to break these into 2 posts to get the screen shots to display correctly. 9/10 was before charging and 9/11 was after full charge. I typically discharge the battery to fairly low SOC before charging and nearly always charge to full charge. Highest Gid level at full charge was 737 (twice) when the car was a couple months old.

Attachments

• September11.png
    September11.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 103
  • September10.png
    September10.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 103
Screenshot from a few weeks ago. Have newer but not downloaded yet. Notice the one low cell. The Delta varies little during lower SOC's. Will try to edit with an add with SOC below 20 %

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aFPmzhWQyUFeLmBE6

I should have mentioned that I had three or four low cells when the car was newer (LEAF Spy even flagged them as weak), but my charging and driving use patterns of full charges and relatively deep discharges have balanced them out as you can see from my screen shots at different SOC levels.

I will give it another day to see if the quarterly bms change is done, but my 2019 S+ just got a back to back BMS SoH upgrade. It's back over 94% again! I will send updated figures in a couple days, but excited to see number improve. Now I have been pretty good about keeping the car between 20-75% this quarter. Maybe 1 DC charge.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I will give it another day to see if the quarterly bms change is done, but my 2019 S+ just got a back to back BMS SoH upgrade. It's back over 94% again! I will send updated figures in a couple days, but excited to see number improve. Now I have been pretty good about keeping the car between 20-75% this quarter. Maybe 1 DC charge.

Make sure you post an updated LEAF Spy when the adjustment is done.

Here you go. 3 attachments. Leafspy for the past year in the car; graph; LS screen Shot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tArRIFh8UefWdoOlJF_SbTOPIxbJYsOZ/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tAkbTfiYwTkRZ0-QsAZ8DReoWOiEZwbf/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tAwmbm5ot0UQ0uVkYJsAoddCwlaygy7E/view?usp=drivesdk

About a positive .46% adjustment, similar to the prior one.

24 months almost exactly 24K miles, 95.14 SOH, average about 3.8 M/Kwh (lower in winter, higher in summer as is to be expected). Absolutely nothing has caused us any grief, been no where near a garage.....

Took the battery down as lowest as it has every been.....that pesky cell showed up on Leafspy as a week cell :shock:

Figured I would try to "deep cycle" the battery and see if it makes a difference on cell #1.

Ni2V4GVl.png

FFOEoNfl.png

d4O3j66l.png

Learjet,
You still had a ways to go before your lowest cell reached minimum voltage. I would not worry about cell #1 unless it is higher than the others at high charge level or unless it gets worse over time--you have plenty of time and miles left on the battery warranty. A few deep discharges followed by full charges may help balance it with the others.

Learjet said:
Took the battery down as lowest as it has every been.....that pesky cell showed up on Leafspy as a week cell :shock:

Figured I would try to "deep cycle" the battery and see if it makes a difference on cell #1.

I had the same issue when I bought my 2020, Cell #3 on mine was like that, way below the others when getting to the bottom of the battery capacity. I would do a deep discharge about once a month where I would run the car down to 0 %, then use LeafSpy to run out the rest of the capacity down to right before Turtle mode at 1 kWh remaining capacity, then sit in my drive way and run the AC (or Heat for fun) to further deplete the battery slowly over the next hour down to almost 0.4 kWh remaining to finally complete shutdown once I got Cell #3 to hit under 2.5 volts. Then I would immediately connect to the L2 EVSE, charge it up to about 25%, let the battery sit for a couple of hours, charge it up again to 50%, sit a couple of hours, then finally let it charge to 100% overnight. After about 3 months of doing that, once a month, Cell #3 now finally follows the others properly, actually, all the cells now are very tight on voltage, all the way to turtle mode now. So this probably helped me to truly balance out all the cells in the pack. When I use LeafSpy, it's almost a perfect line across the Cell chart with maybe 4mv to 6mv difference any time I checked it at any charge level. :D

knightmb said:
Learjet said:

I had the same issue when I bought my 2020, Cell #3 on mine was like that, way below the others when getting to the bottom of the battery capacity. I would do a deep discharge about once a month where I would run the car down to 0 %, then use LeafSpy to run out the rest of the capacity down to right before Turtle mode at 1 kWh remaining capacity, then sit in my drive way and run the AC (or Heat for fun) to further deplete the battery slowly over the next hour down to almost 0.4 kWh remaining to finally complete shutdown once I got Cell #3 to hit under 2.5 volts. Then I would immediately connect to the L2 EVSE, charge it up to about 25%, let the battery sit for a couple of hours, charge it up again to 50%, sit a couple of hours, then finally let it charge to 100% overnight. After about 3 months of doing that, once a month, Cell #3 now finally follows the others properly, actually, all the cells now are very tight on voltage, all the way to turtle mode now. So this probably helped me to truly balance out all the cells in the pack. When I use LeafSpy, it's almost a perfect line across the Cell chart with maybe 4mv to 6mv difference any time I checked it at any charge level. :D

Interesting process there. What are your stats?

I also had a cell that was an outlier when I got it but hardly to that extreme. My plus pack is by far the worst balanced pack ever though. At full charge, delta is ~ 35 mV but frequently drops to the mid 20's at mid charge. I have to check my logs to find a very low SOC reading since I don't get much below 20% like I used to but w/o that single cell, my delta would be under 10 mV in most cases.

My cell balance is about idemtical.to that due to one pesky low cell. At low SoC, the delta is 20 and it's 35-40 at high SoC. It hasn't gotten any worse, so I have stopped obsessing about it, but I still don't like it.

Here is my 2021 efficiency so far by month. Pretty consistent (4.3 overall). July was a tad lower as we did more freeway with the S+ being repaired. 2020 was 4.2 for the whole year, so guessing my overall average comes down a touch in Dec.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y73iNIpihTsGyp9kGqQ7aaQkNE_ANNAm/view?usp=drivesdk

This 232 watts per mile feels similar to what I see others post in Tesla and Niro forums for average consumption. Bolt forums have suggested a bit less.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Here is my 2021 efficiency so far by month. Pretty consistent (4.3 overall). July was a tad lower as we did more freeway with the S+ being repaired. 2020 was 4.2 for the whole year, so guessing my overall average comes down a touch in Dec.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y73iNIpihTsGyp9kGqQ7aaQkNE_ANNAm/view?usp=drivesdk

This 232 watts per mile feels similar to what I see others post in Tesla and Niro forums for average consumption. Bolt forums have suggested a bit less.

With TMS, the numbers will vary widely. Normal...IOW; same yardstick but completely different yard.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Interesting process there. What are your stats?

I also had a cell that was an outlier when I got it but hardly to that extreme. My plus pack is by far the worst balanced pack ever though. At full charge, delta is ~ 35 mV but frequently drops to the mid 20's at mid charge. I have to check my logs to find a very low SOC reading since I don't get much below 20% like I used to but w/o that single cell, my delta would be under 10 mV in most cases.

Probably some pages earlier in this topic unless you mean like take a LeafSpy screenshot now and post it up?

Yeah, it's been while since I did an actual all the way to 100% charge, but I don't remember it being that far off at the top. I haven't done a complete run down test in a while, so it's probably not as balanced as it was months ago, actually have no idea, I guess I should check. :lol:
*runs out and does a check*, Ok, screen-shot below. Not as good as I remember, but before it had a 100mv to 200mv range before, so this is a lot better than when I bought it. Before, Cell #3 was the problem child of sorts, but it seems to be behaving now just fine for quite a while now.

u4wWdJp.jpg

Dave

Ok, I drove about 330 miles today (Skokie to Champaign and back with L2 charging in the middle). The Hx did go up from 108.91% to 109.46% as you predicted.

Also Leaf spy continues to overreport energy usage. Per Leafspy Log 38,009 watt hours for 164 miles, but net used was 36.2 kWh (56 - 19.8). Not an out of this world difference, but enough to swing efficiency a few tenths. The dash reading seems more accurate.
Fairly happy with 155 pretty fast freeway miles (plus a 9 local) on 64% (98% to 34% per LS) of the battery at 44F at 6 am this morning (no sun to help warm). We pre heated a bit, but didn't run heat for the trip.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Dave

Ok, I drove about 330 miles today (Skokie to Champaign and back with L2 charging in the middle). The Hx did go up from 108.91% to 109.46% as you predicted.

Also Leaf spy continues to overreport energy usage. Per Leafspy Log 38,009 watt hours for 164 miles, but net used was 36.2 kWh (56 - 19.8). Not an out of this world difference, but enough to swing efficiency a few tenths. The dash reading seems more accurate.
Fairly happy with 155 pretty fast freeway miles (plus a 9 local) on 64% (98% to 34% per LS) of the battery at 44F at 6 am this morning (no sun to help warm). We pre heated a bit, but didn't run heat for the trip.

What was used to determine net usage? miles * miles/kwh? Pretty sure the car has always been optimistic. Do you have data from when the car was new? If you saved LS logs, should be an easy check. Tires will skew the data slightly although prob not that much.

Distance per Google maps

Starting end ending kWh remaining per LS.

This was the 164 miles and 35.8 kWh used.

The Leaf spy log showed 38kWh used.

A couple thoughts on why LS trip log over guess usage.

1. Regen calcs aren't perfect
2. 0 pedal position suggests 1kWh usage still happens. (Not sure if that's true)
3. Over guessing the fan/lights power usage

DougWantsALeaf said:
Distance per Google maps

Starting end ending kWh remaining per LS.

This was the 164 miles and 35.8 kWh used.

The Leaf spy log showed 38kWh used.

A couple thoughts on why LS trip log over guess usage.

1. Regen calcs aren't perfect
2. 0 pedal position suggests 1kWh usage still happens. (Not sure if that's true)
3. Over guessing the fan/lights power usage

Also notice the power usage while in N. Higher the speed, the greater the usage and its NEVER negative which makes sense since regen is deactivated but the level of power used is 'Interesting'

Also pretty sure all climate control power usage is "estimated" we all know A/C is MUCH more efficient than heat but turn on defrost with A/C only. Do you see a significant difference in the range calc verses Defrost with A/C and heat?

Back