The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveWilliamz said:
Hi!

First time posting here - loving my Leaf!

Just got LeafSpy and checked the stats on my 2020 62kWh Leaf's battery.

The car is 15 months old and has just shy of 4k miles on the odometer thanks to lockdowns. No DC fast charges, regular charging has been at 3kW (fault on charger) and have just moved up to 7 kW charging (BP have replaced the faulty unit).

If I read LeafSpy correct, I have lost 4.7% of battery capacity in 15 months, which seems to tally with the max. range being reported.

Does this seem about right?

Sorry if this is a bit of a newbie question, but I have no reference point!

Also, is there anywhere one can get a data set of batteries, miles, age & SoH readings?

Happy to plot it, but I would like to get an idea of what is average and where SoH heads over time/miles.

Many thanks for anything anyone can contribute!

You are normal. Loss during first year generally ranges between 4 and 8%, 2nd year 1 to 3% then it drops to about 1% a year. Despite the wide ranges, after a period of time, most of us will converge to the same range of numbers regardless of location, miles driven or charging habits.

Mine @ 15 months was down 7½% which was lower than most, at 18 months 5¾% which is just a pinch higher than the average.

In short, battery health/life can be improved by doing these things:

* Don't charge when the pack is hot if possible, according to the battery temp gauge. Anything in the upper* or rightmost 1/3 of the gauge is "hot." If you have to charge, don't do it with DC Fast Charge, aka "QC."

* Don't leave the car sitting with more than 70% or so charge. If you need the full range, charge it to 100% with the charge timed to end shortly before you leave.

* Keep the state of charge (SOC) between 25% and 75% when possible. If this means charging once every few days instead of every day, that's fine.

* 7 temperature "bars" or more on the Gen I Leaf is hot. If your climate allows you to avoid 6 temp bars as well, that's even better.

LeftieBiker said:
In short,
Good list. I summarize it as "the LEAF battery is not an egg. Do not boil, poach, fry, bake, or microwave."

Sticking the car in a poorly ventilated garage on a hot day falls into the 'bake' category.
Parking on 150F tarmac is frying
DCFC is microwaving

Many thanks for the posts and advice - really helpful.

The list from @LeftieBiker is gold!

Good to know this is in the normal range and I may have not helped by 'egging' a bit last summer. Nissan seem keen not to worry customers about batteries and so the car was left with a high SoC too much - and not much driving was done.

I am keeping between 40% and 80% now, but I'll take the advice to drop the upper end to 70% as I don't usually do more than 40 miles a day plus can charge cheaper overnight.

New 2021 SV PLUS:
Manufacture date: 11/2020
Purchase date: 5/2/2021
Software ver: 0347
Miles as of 6/13: 980
Original ahrs: 175.11 **
ahrs 6/13: 174.32

I will be logging ahrs/SOH/HX and will post.

** The battery was at 3% upon delivery! Did they ever charge it? Battery condition seems great and well balanced, range of 10 - 18 mV to date.

Marktm said:
** The battery was at 3% upon delivery! Did they ever charge it? Battery condition seems great and well balanced, range of 10 - 18 mV to date.
If it helps, 3% is like 13% because the Leaf hides capacity near the end. ;)

Latest battery bms update complete on my 2019 S+. SoH increased from 93.59% to 94.00%. I was hoping for a bit more, but better than down. We have stopped DC charging the cars as of mid June, so let's see if that is positive to SoH over time.

Hi Everyone,

As a first time EV owner, I can't thank enough for everyone share their insight about their leaf

I got a 2019 Leaf SL Plus (62kwh) about 2 years ago here is the stats I got off

Ahr 162.71
SOH 92.24%
HX 107.46$
QC84
L1/L2 125
Miles 10,428

Took me a while before I got a Lv2 charger up and running this is my my QC is a little high

I was hoping if anyone can share their thought on the state of health of the battery, while I expect some level of degradation over time, I wonder if 7.26% for 2 years is reasonable. I'm in the New York City so I have a fair amount of cold weather.

Apology for rookie questions, any insight will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

leaferny said:
Hi Everyone,

As a first time EV owner, I can't thank enough for everyone share their insight about their leaf

Ahr 162.71
SOH 92.24%
HX 107.46$
QC84
L1/L2 125
Miles 10,428

Took me a while before I got a Lv2 charger up and running this is my my QC is a little high

I was hoping if anyone can share their thought on the state of health of the battery, while I expect some level of degradation over time, I wonder if 7.26% for 2 years is reasonable. I'm in the New York City so I have a fair amount of cold weather.

Thanks

The numbers you posted look reasonable. For comparison, here are numbers from my car this morning (after full charge):
AHr=163.61
SOH=92.75%
Hx=97.07%
QC=12
L1/L2=223
Odometer=33,357
Gids=680

Your higher number for Hx is probably due to the higher number of DC quick charges you have. I find that Hx often improves after DCQC and it has been a while since my last DCQC.

GerryAZ said:
leaferny said:
Hi Everyone,

Ahr 162.71
SOH 92.24%
HX 107.46$
QC84
L1/L2 125
Miles 10,428

Thanks

The numbers you posted look reasonable. For comparison, here are numbers from my car this morning (after full charge):
AHr=163.61
SOH=92.75%
Hx=97.07%
QC=12
L1/L2=223
Odometer=33,357
Gids=680

Your higher number for Hx is probably due to the higher number of DC quick charges you have. I find that Hx often improves after DCQC and it has been a while since my last DCQC.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated

Yes, I was living off DC fast charging for at first few months until I got an LV2 charger at home.

with that being said, do you think 1 DC charge per month is reasonable, I travel across states once a month and the DC charging will help reduce my travel time by a lot. If that is actually hurting the overall longevity of the battery, I would avoid that at all costs. This is about the only thing I don't like about the leaf plus

I will report my stats periodically, any input will be much appreciated

Enjoy your time passing the gas station!

leaferny said:
Hi Everyone,

Ahr 162.71
SOH 92.24%
HX 107.46$
QC84
L1/L2 125
Miles 10,428

Thanks

Your numbers are in the low normal range and the trend tends to show lower usage has higher degradation early but your loss is slowing down. The likely scenario based on 2018's is you will be mid normal by the end of year 3.

leaferny said:
Hi Everyone,

Ahr 162.71
SOH 92.24%
HX 107.46$
QC84
L1/L2 125
Miles 10,428

Thanks

Your numbers are in the low normal range and the trend tends to show lower usage has higher degradation early but your loss is slowing down. The likely scenario based on 2018's is you will be mid normal by the end of year 3.

My 2019 SV+ is pretty similar, except we don't drive much.

13,300 miles
SoH 92.42
Ahr 163.02
QC 50

Funny thing GOM still predicts 250+ most summer days, so I havent sweat the SoH too much.

We just installed a 62 kWh battery in a 2012 LEAF. The car runs perfectly, with no error messages, however, there are issues with:

1) Energy "bars"
2) GOM (not very shocking)
3) Car will not charge above about 35% with a DC fast charger (at least the one we tried)

We would like to find a Gidmeter for the customer's car that will display just 0% - 100%, programmed for a 62 kWh battery!!! Cash buyer!!!!!

Tony

Congrats on the 62 install, and welcome back to the board.

Does anyone make gidmeters anymore?

Has anyone seen if the bms acts differently from a 62 battery in a retro install vs. In a 2019+ Leaf Plus?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Tony

Congrats on the 62 install, and welcome back to the board.

Does anyone make gidmeters anymore?

Has anyone seen if the bms acts differently from a 62 battery in a retro install vs. In a 2019+ Leaf Plus?

I'm not aware of the BMS doing anything different. I have my personal Gidmeter, and I guess it's possible to build another.

Tony Williams
QC Charge
1497 Poinsettia Avenue, Suite 154
Vista, California 92081 USA
[email protected]
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

Tony,

Since I use Leaf Spy and am not sure whether the Gid Meter is compatible with my 2019 SL Plus, I have mine that has not been used since I traded in my 2015. If you want it for your customer, confirm an address for shipping. If I still had Silver 679 from the range test, I would be looking for a 62 kWh battery for it. It had a couple of features which I still miss.

GerryAZ said:
Tony,

Since I use Leaf Spy and am not sure whether the Gid Meter is compatible with my 2019 SL Plus, I have mine that has not been used since I traded in my 2015. If you want it for your customer, confirm an address for shipping. If I still had Silver 679 from the range test, I would be looking for a 62 kWh battery for it. It had a couple of features which I still miss.

That is a generous offer!

Thanks,

Tony Williams
Founder/ CEO / Product Architect
QC CHARGE
1497 POINSETTIA AVE
Suite 154
VISTA, CA 92081-8542 USA
[email protected]
QCcharge.com
Office M-F, 9-5pm Pacific Time
1-760-798-0342
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787

danrjones said:
Dumb question but how does a GID-ometer differ from LeafSpy? do they still plug into the OBD port?

The leaf spy is an app, which means you have to pull your phone out of your pocket every time just to see the status of the battery.

Gidmeter is a complete dedicated display, that you can semi-permanently mounted in your car. It only has one function, and that’s to display all the parameters of the battery.

You never have to worry about the battery going dead in your phone, or whether the Bluetooth is dongling good enough.

Back