Leaf to ICE - Back to past!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sujeeva

Many Leafs are under converting to ICE :shock: . The Leafs are getting retrofitted with JDM Aqua Hybrid engines. These are done here, in Sri Lanka due to the shortage of replacement batteries, mostly on Gen 1, prior to the late 2013 models.
The motor, inverter, and battery pack will be removed, including the management systems. A gasoline/hybrid engine and the drive train will be installed instead.
The leaf is a purpose-built EV. No chance of having a drive yet.
Few questions, especially leaf is built on a purpose-built framework.
1. Stability/handling/weight distribution?
2. Drivability/power?
3. Safety?
4. Reliability?
5.Dependability?
6. Longevity on ICE vibration and harshness?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ntj__Xn09WgHQZrMbJAAUNRzFaXlehDq/view?usp=sharing

The climate in Sri Lanka seems to have ravaged the leaf battery and no support from nissan seems to have created the demand.

Wow that's gonna be a lot of work. Nobody will have answers to your questions since this is such a unique reverse ICE conversion.

The entire control system is integrated with the CAN buss and unfortunately there is no easy way to make substitution to a different battery system.

But I understand your desire to repurpose the chassis and interior, it is a nice car--and it is easier to turn wrenches than to reverse engineering software.

If the Sri Lankans are like the Cubans, and I imagine they are, someone will figure this out! and no one will really care about perfect weight distribution or handling, since the shocks will be long destroyed by then anyway but getting around even slowly and uncomfrtably is a good thing......

It would be easier just to mount an electric generator to it, seems like it would be less work at least and use the existing electronics. :mrgreen:

knightmb said:
It would be easier just to mount an electric generator to it, seems like it would be less work at least and use the existing electronics. :mrgreen:
Ala a Volt. Still it would need such a large generator/ICE it would be more efficient to just bypass the battery and all it's weight, not that the ICE only would be easy either.

Even a battery with 5 bars lost would make a good buffer for a gen like that, allowing power draws substantially higher than what the gen could produce, thus allowing for a reasonably small one - like 10kw. That would work in Eco mode, anyway.

Someone posted this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e7PvP8Atg8 which I've only watched bits and pieces of. I can't understand the language at all, but if you expand the description, they have it in English.

And yes, transplanting Toyota Aqua bits into Leaf is mentioned. Toyota Aqua in Japan is aka the (discontinued) Prius c in the US.

I wonder what folks at Nissan and Toyota think of these Frankencars...

Back