What are these pipes?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigdrago

Hello. Today I loosened this screw because I needed to attach a wire. When I opened it a lot of air and some oily stuff came out. What is it for?? The pipes are the silver ones. Nissan leaf 2015.

20210309-192902.jpg

20210309-192907.jpg

My wild guess w/o checking the service manual is for AC. I'm guessing your AC won't work any more as you let out the refrigerant. Not sure if the compressor will be damaged too due to letting out oil.

+1, I've never worked on the insides of my Leaf but those hoses look exactly like the AC I've seen on other cars. And +1 also on not running the AC until the system is re-charged.

Of course, the next question is why did you "need" to attach the wire to that particular screw? (especially without checking that it was holding down first)

jlv said:
Of course, the next question is why did you "need" to attach the wire to that particular screw? (especially without checking that it was holding down first)

Attached ground wire last week, had to replace the wire today and suddenly all hell went loose.
Ac and heating still works though.

I don't know what trim level you have but if it's the S trim (knobs for HVAC and stereo, no nav system, has dull interior plastics instead of glossy piano black), heat will still work. S trim doesn't have the hybrid heat pump heater and thus wouldn't use the AC (running in reverse).

I didn't notice a reversing valve in your pic (unless my memory is faulty of my Leaf WITH reversing valve), so thus I'm guessing S trim.

That is definitely a refrigerant line. Make sure the air conditioning shop you take it to is familiar with the particular LEAF model you have. As a reminder, the 2015 requires different oil for the S (no heat pump) and the SV or SL (heat pump or what Nissan also calls hybrid heating system).

Edited to add: The flange connection has an O-ring seal so the O-ring will need to be replaced before recharging the system. In general, it is best to connect ground wires directly to the body to avoid having loose connections or current flow through piping and other devices.

OP should search https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/manuals-and-guides/leaf/2015/2015-Nissan-LEAF-owner-manual.pdf for refrigerant regarding types and warnings, esp. pages 9-2 and 9-3.

Thank you. This one have black skin seats, bose, heat pump, fast charge, 6.6kw charge, heated front and rear seats etc. So this one should have all :)

I have contacted a nissan leaf expert in the area and will have them to have a look at it. I will turn off AC and heating meanwhile.

Ok, Bose was available on SV and SL trims as part of the premium package. Leather was only on SL.

'15 SV and SL have the hybrid heat pump heater.

The packages in Norway are different. We use the terms Visa, Accenta and Tekna. I think all of them have heat pump because of the weather up here. And off course winter package.

I could be mistaken, but since the entry level version was designed to sell at a lower price, with fewer features, I don't believe it has the heat pump. Most EVs don't have heat pumps at this point in time.

I found some articles from 2013 where is states that nissan leaf (visia, acenta and tekna) all have heat pump. Some cheap cars (like vw e-up) doesnt have heat pump. Even tesla doesnt have ev.
When you live in a northern country you need to have heat pump if you want to sell a lot of cars.

Bigdrago said:
I found some articles from 2013 where is states that nissan leaf (visia, acenta and tekna) all have heat pump. Some cheap cars (like vw e-up) doesnt have heat pump. Even tesla doesnt have ev.
When you live in a northern country you need to have heat pump if you want to sell a lot of cars.
Oh. You aren't in the US? Those trim levels don't exist in the US.

For the US, model years '13 to '17, S trims don't have the hybrid heat pump heater. '13 to '17 SV and SL do.

See specs tabs of these, for example:
https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-698a9e429ae04602b683514427ca41ba-us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit
https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-513847a8aeeb48d480a52a8fbdcdbd93-us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit

Yes, Tesla finally added a heat pump heater w/the Model Y, I guess starting in 2020?

E-up doesn't exist in the US.

you should not be attaching any wires to the AC fittings :roll:

It most like needs to be discharged, o-ring changed in the fitting and then re-service the AC Freon.

I locked it after 10 seconds and it is safe now. Just need to refill and pressure test the dealer said.

Bigdrago said:
I locked it after 10 seconds and it is safe now. Just need to refill and pressure test the dealer said.

With modern refrigerants, refill means vacuuming out the refrigerant and then refilling the system from zero. The system takes a specific amount of refrigerant that must be measured by weight. There's no "bubble sight" to judge the fill as with the old R12 refrigerant.

I'd trust a good AC shop to do the right thing. The type of oil is important but they would know that. If the system needed to be emptied before being filled they should know that too. From my very limited understanding of AC systems, I'd be most worried about moisture in the refrigerant since the seal was broken. That indicates pulling a vacuum and then refilling. They might also recommend replacing the receiver-dryer in this case. If it were me, I'd find a shop I trusted, tell them what happened and have them fix it.

Bigdrago said:
The packages in Norway are different. We use the terms Visa, Accenta and Tekna. I think all of them have heat pump because of the weather up here. And off course winter package.

Fellow Norwegian here. The entry-level Visia-spec does not have heat pump, even in Norway. All Norwegian-sold Leafs do have the winter pack though, with heated seats and steering wheel.

Back