downeykp
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1931

Re: Japanese EV market

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:38 pm

There are virtually no parking spaces in Tokyo. There just isn't enough room. My nephew who has lived there for over ten years does not even own a car. His employer as well as his wife's employer pay for his Tokyo Rail pass. He saves money on a vehicle that is hard to use around Tokyo by not having to buy insurance, fuel and the vehicle itself. People in Japan are very conscious of waste and using too many resources.
There were many elderly people who died of overexposure to heat last year because they did not want to waste energy by turning on their air conditioners.
Car ownership has been on the decline since 1990 when 7.78 million vehicles were sold. Compared to 5.56 million sold in 2015. Obviously the bulk of these cars were sold in Tokyo. But in my experience there is much more traffic in Seattle, LA or the SF Bay Area.
Other than workman and delivery vehicles hardly anyone drives to work. I think all of these factors have a lot of relevance as to why electric vehicles are not sustaining sales in Japan. People (for the most part) do not have the option of charging at home and they are too busy to stop someplace and charge on the way to or from work. If my cousin ever needs a car he rents one.

Japan is a very unique place. Thanks for the topic.
2011 Black Leaf SL+QC Vin. 1931
Res. 6-14-10 Order 1-25-11
EVSE: Mod'd Ver. 2 Nissan L1
Delivered 5-31-11

10 years 38000mi. 5 bars

57 panels with Enphase micro inverters

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:53 am

Japan: Over 11,000 Nissan LEAFs Were Sold In 2020
https://insideevs.com/news/466194/japan ... mber-2020/
Nissan Ariya to appear on the market in Japan in mid-2021.

Nissan LEAF is slowly fading in Japan, ahead of its expected upcoming extinction. In its home market, sales decreased in 11 out of 12 months of 2020, which resulted in a weak 2020.

With 11,285 sales in 2020 (down 43% year-over-year), LEAF is at the lowest level since 2015.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:17 pm

While parking and traffic are tight in Tokyo and I also just used a train when I was there when you are in many other places in Japan you need a car to get to where you want to go. They also rarely buy EVs in "rural" areas like Nagasaki prefecture we knew a few LEAF owners and I know where charging is but I just didn't see a lot. While I am in the US now we still have a Japanese TV service and I do see increasing commercials recently with celebrity kimtaku advertising the Ariya and LEAF, I also see Audi commercials. My hope is this has an influence. Various hybrids are popular. My wife (who is Japanese) is unusual in being a heavy driver, she would drive around a bay on the way home from work. She does like the LEAF though as dealing with gas and such is "dirty", would you think that would work but it does not. As Japan is around the size of California and most people do not road trip like we do I would think even the 40kwh LEAF would be perfect, when you go back to your family home for new years or obon take the train or use plentiful charging available or rent. My hope is as the west gradually shifts to electric Japan does as well albeit lagging the west. I have driven from Tokyo to Toyota city in Aichi, a plus could do that without any need for a charge on the way. Driving Tokyo to Osaka would just need one charge in a plus. Even in Tokyo metro some families choose a painful 2 hour train commute to have a house on the outskirts (my brother in law did this) but yea in your typical mansion you will have to use public charging. They had a good subscription plan back in the day.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”