Urban (re-)design

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

High time we had a topic, although as is often the case I'm unsure whether to put this in this or the "Environment" sub-forum (I think they should be merged, as most environmental issues also involve business, economic and political factors, and vice-versa):

San Francisco Chronicle:
To speed up buses, SF cut parking on San Bruno Avenue. Welcome to the city’s future
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea...uses-SF-cut-parking-on-San-Bruno-14916947.php

Also see:
"Street Fight: Handbook for an Urban Revolution"; Sadik-Khan, Janette, and Solomonow, Seth; 2015. Written by the former (2007-2013) transportation commissioner of New York City under Michael Bloomberg and her PR person in that post, the book details the steps taken over that period to redesign New York City's streets to better serve pedestrians, bike riders and transit users while also improving traffic flow and safety. A real-world 'Complete Streets' how-to manual for reclaiming asphalt from cars, adding public plazas (including closing Broadway between Times and Herald Squares to cars), bike and bus lanes, bike share, pedestrian safety improvements, etc. it also details the pushbacks and often over-the-top claims of opponents of various aspects of the moves, and how that affected the plans. She also describes similar efforts in other cities around the world, both those that she borrowed ideas from, and others where she's consulted since leaving her post. Sadik-Khan says she had a sign over her desk during her tenure that read "To plan is human, to implement, divine," and she managed to implement more change to the physical fabric of NYC in a shorter period of time than anyone since Robert Moses.

The whole "Beyond the Car: New Urbanism, Smart Growth, Complete Streets, Walking/Biking/Public Transit etc." section of the EV Bibliography page, from which the above review of "Street Fight" is taken, is also relevant: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9506&hilit=ev+bibliography#p214885

I was recently in Japan and it was very refreshing to be in an environment that wasn't literally built around the needs of automobiles. The number of people streaming through the train stations at rush hour is simply amazing. And the side streets around town often have more people walking than cars driving. It creates a nice environment where you actually see the faces of your fellow travelers rather than just their taililghts. I saw a few bikes but mostly people seem to take the train/bus and then walk.

Well you were likely in major metropolitan area, likely Tokyo. Yes Japan's public transportation is well ahead of the US. Keep in mind that in Tokyo parking is expensive and while one can (and I have) driven in Tokyo it is not the quickest way. Here in Denver RTD does not cover the metro area as well as it might but it has improved a lot, most of the time cars are still faster. When you get out in the countryside of Japan say where some of my family is there may be no rail at all, or limited public transportation so most people do and must drive, mind you even then it is better public transportation than rural towns in Colorado. New York and Sterling Colorado are different places so keep that in mind.

Yep, I was in Fujisawa which is sort of an exurb of Tokyo. And I agree 100% about public transportation working much better where the density is higher. Still.....if you go to Longmont and look at all the new development there, the first priority seems to be making lots of nice roads, then huge garages, and finally putting houses on the remaining areas. That may be hyperbolic but not by much. It seems that everyone wants a 4000 sq.ft. house on a 5000 sq.ft lot with a 4-lane boulevard in front.

The RTD bus to DIA is very convenient and usually faster if you don't have to park your car (and much cheaper too) but I know a lot of people who would never consider to ride 'a bus', regardless of the benefits. Personally, while I was in Japan, I liked the vibe of taking a train and then walking to work. I saw a lot of local people doing the same during my trip and I think folks in the US have lost a lot by being forced to spend so much time alone in their cars commuting or whatever.

goldbrick said:
I was recently in Japan and it was very refreshing to be in an environment that wasn't literally built around the needs of automobiles.
What you might be missing there is that is almost an order of magnitude more expensive to own an automobile in Japan compared to the U.S. When I was there on a work trip I spoke to a colleague who worked in our Tokyo office about it; it's several thousands of dollars just to get a license.

Of course,one of the reasons it's a lot more expensive is that Japan's cities simply can't take any more cars. In order to get a license, you also have to provide proof that you've got a parking place:
Japan's proof-of-parking rule has an essential twin policy
https://www.reinventingparking.org/2014/06/japans-proof-of-parking-rule-has.html

Naturally, as a relatively low-value use of very valuable real estate, parking in cities is also expensive: https://www.japan-experience.com/car-rental/japan-by-car/where-to-park-in-japan

jlv said:
What you might be missing there is that is almost an order of magnitude more expensive to own an automobile in Japan compared to the U.S. When I was there on a work trip I spoke to a colleague who worked in our Tokyo office about it; it's several thousands of dollars just to get a license.

That's cheap compared to someplace like Singapore, or even Norway for that matter. It was just a different mind-set to me, in that having a car wasn't something you had to do, like in the US.

S.F. Chronicle:
Suburban homes with no parking? Utopian vision in the mix as East Bay city taps developer
https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-p...ith-no-parking-Utopian-vision-in-14999949.php

Back in the late-80s I took a class called IIRR "Shelter design", which looked at how various cultures had designed housing to suit their climates, going back a few thousand years. The instructor was a proponent of New Urbanism, and one of the first (In the U.S.) developments that had been built which followed a lot of those ideas was in Davis, CA., at that time the leading bicycle-friendly city in the U.S. The development, known as Village Homes, has no on-street parking, narrower streets, and a parking lot for visitors (who had to walk to their destination via the numerous pathways which the houses all were orientated towards, rather than the street). I visited it back then to check it out (especially the passive solar aspects), and I'm glad to see that it's still going strong: http://www.villagehomesdavis.org/about

The developer was subsequently elected mayor of Davis: https://localwiki.org/davis/Michael_Corbett

This seems to be similar in its de-emphasis of cars, although the location is, unlike Davis which is almost totally flat, on a hill that's very steep to walk or ride up (I've done both). Pedelecs could be the answer for most people.

S.F. Chronicle:
Car-free Market Street
What you need to know now about the rebirth of SF’s main drag, sans private cars.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Car-free-Market-What-happens-to-the-side-14999923.php

A once-radical idea to purge all private cars from Market Street becomes reality on Wednesday.

New turn lanes will stripe the roadway, diverting traffic from a transit spine that’s intended to be a grand promenade, rife with bicycles and clattering streetcars. The city’s new “quick-build” procedures allowed transit officials to banish automobiles east of 10th Street within three months of approving the project. Meanwhile, a more substantive redesign is inching forward.

Eventually the old “lollipop” traffic signals will get a full overhaul, gray pavers will replace the red sidewalk bricks, and officials will swap the green bunker toilets for a more futuristic model. . . .

How many drivers use Market Street, anyway? Not as many as you might think. According to the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, 200 to 400 cars travel in each direction on Market Street every hour during the peak commute. That’s roughly half the number on Mission Street, which sees 500 to 900 cars per hour in each direction.

Traffic wasn’t always that sparse. The city gradually steered cars off the thoroughfare by installing forced detours in 2009, adding more turn restrictions over the years to stymie east-west travel. Many of the vehicles that currently use Market are Uber and Lyft cars, and those drivers will face the biggest shock. As of Wednesday, they will be relegated to loading zones on side streets.

Is this going to speed up the buses? With rapid, subway-like service in the center lane, Muni estimates that 464,000 riders who board buses on Market Street every day will save lots of time. Faster service unimpeded by automobiles would shorten each trip by 15% to 25%, according to transportation planners.

From a transit perspective, Market is the beating heart of the city, with 200 buses and streetcars running down the strip per hour at the busiest times, while BART and Muni Metro subway trains rattle underneath. Roughly 500,000 people walk along Market each day, and 650 cyclists roll through each hour during the peak commute.

What about parking? Parking on Market, already limited to six metered spaces east of Spear Street, will disappear entirely with the redesign. The more drastic change will occur on cross streets and side streets, where 227 spaces will be converted to commercial loading. . . .

Back