Ohio registration fees increasing Jan 1, 2020

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogersleaf

Vehicle registration fees in Ohio for EV’s and hybrids are increasing on Jan 1st. The new surcharge is $200/yr for an EV, $100/yr for a hybrid added to the standard fees.

Registration renewal paperwork arrived in the mail stating that the old fee schedule still applies as long as processed before 12/31/19. Ohio allows for pre-purchasing vehicle registrations up to 5 years. The cost of a 5-yr plate at the old fees was less than 1 year under the new schedule. However, need to act before 12/31 to take advantage of the loophole.

Thats crazy! Talk about a backward fee. When MN decided to add a $75 fee to BEVs(nothing for PHEVs AFAIK) I figured tax wise it was like me driving 20k/year, I drive less than 10k :( and I'd find it hard to believe anyone could drive 20k miles with a BEV that can only go ~60 miles without a full recharge, at $200 I personally would NOT drive an EV nor a PHEV with a $100 tax as far as that goes. As it is my next purchase will probably be a PHEV instead of a BEV, part of the decision process is the EV fee. Just at a time when states/the fed should be promoting EVs they are doing the opposite :roll:

My registration is up early 2020 and new mexico, with as few as 1,500 electric vehicles regiatered in 2018 on the roads is also considering a ridiculous EV super pricey fee.
I may just get permanent tags or just run expired tags.
My belief is that perm tags will be the ultimate way to stick it to the state.
The liberals in control of the state have yet to hear of a new tax they didn't like.

Back