ABG: Trump administration issues ruling to freeze fuel efficiency penalties The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers pra

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Trump administration issues ruling to freeze fuel efficiency penalties
The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers praises the move
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/13/trump-administration-freeze-fuel-efficiency-penalties/

The Trump administration said late on Friday it was issuing final rules to suspend a 2016 Obama administration regulation that more than doubled penalties for automakers failing to meet fuel efficiency requirements.

Congress in 2015 ordered federal agencies to adjust a wide range of civil penalties to account for inflation and, in response, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) under President Barack Obama issued rules to eventually raise fines to $14 from $5.50 for every 0.1 mile per gallon of fuel that new cars and trucks consume in excess of the required standards.

Automakers protested the hike, saying it could increase industry compliance costs by $1 billion annually.

After a group of states and environmental groups filed suit, the Trump administration began the process of formally undoing the Obama regulation and first proposed the freeze in 2018.

In a statement late on Friday, NHTSA said it was faithfully following the intent of Congress to ensure the penalty rate was set at the level required by statute.

It expected this final rule to significantly cut the future burden on industry and consumers by up to $1 billion a year, it added. . . .

Automakers argued the increases would dramatically raise costs, since they would also boost the value of fuel economy credits that are used to meet requirements.

In September 2017, three environmental groups and some U.S. states including New York and California sued NHTSA for putting the Obama rules on hold.

Last year, the states said, "If the penalty is not sufficiently high, automakers lack a vital incentive to manufacture fuel-efficient vehicles."

Some automakers historically have paid fines instead of meeting fuel efficiency requirements - including some luxury automakers like Jaguar Land Rover, owned by India's Tata Motors, and Daimler AG.

In February, Fiat Chrysler told Reuters it paid $77 million in U.S. civil penalties in 2018 for failing to meet 2016 model year fuel economy requirements. . . .

Environmental groups urge the administration to retain the increase, noting U.S. fuel economy fines have lost nearly 75% of their original value because the fines have only been increased once -- from $5 to $5.50 in 1997 -- in more than four decades.

The move comes as NHTSA and the Environmental Protection Agency are working to finalize a rewrite of the Obama administration's fuel efficiency requirements through 2026 in the coming months. . . .

Tortoisehead77 said:
It won’t matter in the long run. BEV’s are taking over and the growth will be rapid. ICE is complicated and obsolete.
You must live in California :)
Here in the midwest few even know of EVs and even fewer drive them! Here ICE pickups and gas SUVs rule the roost, exactly the vehicles that will probably benefit from Trump's rollback of the MPG standard :( Don't get me wrong, I love my EVs but saying ICEs will become obsolete even in my lifetime is not very realistic and borders on laughable. I don't really talk about my EVs to people anymore, early on I could see many were actually against them, often stating they caused more pollution than their gas burners :roll: It's people that like that that probably lead to our "EV" tax on our tabs that make my EV tabs actually cost me more per mile than if I were driving a similar ICE vehicle and EVs in the carpool lanes.......not a chance!

jjeff said:
Here in the midwest few even know of EVs and even fewer drive them! Here ICE pickups and gas SUVs rule the roost, exactly the vehicles that will probably benefit from Trump's rollback of the MPG standard :( Don't get me wrong, I love my EVs but saying ICEs will become obsolete even in my lifetime is not very realistic and borders on laughable.

Remember before home computers and smartphones were common, the Altar 8800? Computers in everyone's home, how laughable. Computers in everyone's hand? Even more so.

Heck, your microwave now probably has more computing power than the computer that landed the LEM on the Moon.

The computer wave happened far earlier to me, in a tech savy household in a college town, than to cousins that lived on the farm.

Change is gradual, then sudden. It happens some places first, then spreads.

Do you mean the "Altair 8800"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair_8800

800px-Altair_8800_Computer.jpg

I don't go back quite as far as the Altair when it comes to PCs. I taught myself basic on one of these (rented time on it), around 1979: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_PET, after playing Zork and Scott Adams text adventure games on Atari 400s, Apple IIs and before that, the Original Adventure and Star Trek on a PDP 11/70 at Cal Berkeley during the summer. One of the Asst. Scoutmasters in my troop was a CS major - it was his job to keep the PDP in the basement of either Evans or Cory hall (forget which now) running and reboot it whenever needed, so he set all the troop members up with accounts and we banged the hell out of those keyboards. If they ever get to the point where they can read human memory, they'll probably find "Xyzzy" and "Plugh" in mine, in a "maze of twisty little passages, all alike" :lol:

GRA said:
I don't go back quite as far as the Altair when it comes to PCs. I taught myself basic on one of these (rented time on it), around 1979: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_PET, after playing Zork and Scott Adams text adventure games on Atari 400s, Apple IIs and before that, the Original Adventure and Star Trek on a PDP 11/70 at Cal Berkeley during the summer. One of the Asst. Scoutmasters in my troop was a CS major - it was his job to keep the PDP in the basement of either Evans or Cory hall (forget which now) running and reboot it whenever needed, so he set all the troop members up with accounts and we banged the hell out of those keyboards. If they ever get to the point where they can read human memory, they'll probably find "Xyzzy" and "Plugh" in mine, in a "maze of twisty little passages, all alike" :lol:

Jinx! I started on BASIC as well on a PDP-8 since my uncle was head of the physics department at the local college and his friend was the (physics) prof who ran 'the computer'. Adventure and StarTrek were the staples for me too while I learned how to make GOTO 10 loops in BASIC.

I remembered Xyzzy and was actually talking about that with a co-worker at lunch today but forgot about Plugh and the 'maze of twistly little passages, all alike'. But what's that rustling noise I hear....

I tried to play Star Trek on the mainframe at Cornell in 1977, IIRC, but didn't have enough login info to get in. My first real foray into computers was an overpriced 386/16 PC that at least had VGA. I sort of taught myself Q-Basic, at least enough to to block copy and modify code and write a few programs, like a fortune teller that laughed at you through the PC speaker when it gave you a bad one. Also a program at work that freaked out a few coworkers: the PC wasn't connected to anything but a monitor, but when you asked it a question it would pretend to call the agency head and wake him up (this was a midnight shift) to pass it along.

Back