Required to hardwire?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAsrican

I had asked my landlord to put in a 240v outlet so I could use Nissan's included EVSE. He seemed amenable, but his electrician said no, code requires EVSEs to be hardwired. (I'm in Durham NC).

Is this true? I was really hoping I could just park in the driveway and plug into a NEMA 14-50R like people here were advising.

If so, I was reading about the Grizzl E, which seems well reviewed and also able to be hard wired by an electrician. Do the same circuit and wiring requirements/recommendations hold true? I probably want a 40 amp circuit for best L2 charging? I'm looking at a 2022 SV Plus, so is it still 27.5 amp draw even if I'm not using Nissan EVSE?

Your landlord should be able to just ask for a 240 volt, 40 or 50 amp outlet, no reason for it given. Alternatively, you can buy, for about $450, a good 25 amp charging station to have hardwired, and would then only need a 30 amp outlet circuit.

Or do what others have done(but shouldn't be required) and that is have your landlord ask for a 14-50 "RV" outlet be installed for a RV. Again you shouldn't have to do this but it should work.

BAsrican said:
I had asked my landlord to put in a 240v outlet so I could use Nissan's included EVSE. He seemed amenable, but his electrician said no, code requires EVSEs to be hardwired. (I'm in Durham NC).
I don't believe that to be correct. Is your rental part of a one or two family building, or does it have 3 or more units? Apparently in NC at present the former are subject to the 2017 NEC, while the latter are subject to the 2020 NEC.

The 2020 NEC 625.44(A)(3) says that a portable EVSE may be connected via "A nonlocking, 2-pole, 3-wire or 3-pole, 4-wire grounding type receptacle outlet rated at 250 volts, single phase, 30 or 50 amperes." And NC hasn't amended that section in the 2020 NEC.

I didn't check the 2017 NEC or whether NC amended that, but it should be similar.

Cheers, Wayne

Then if I understand correctly, the property is subject to the 2017 NEC in North Carolina, I checked and that version has no North Carolina amendments to Article 625 on EVSEs.

Oddly enough, 2017 625.44(A) on portable EVSEs does restrict them to 120V and 15A or 20A, unlike the 2020 NEC. Section 625.44(B) then says:

(B) Stationary Equipment. Stationary equipment intended to be fastened in place in such a way as to permit ready removal for interchange, facilitation of maintenance or repair, or repositioning shall be connected to the premises wiring system by one of the following methods:
(1) A nonlocking, 2-pole, 3-wire grounding-type receptacle outlet rated 125 volt or 250 volt, single phase, up to 50 amperes
. . .

So the question hinges on whether you'll be using Nissan's EVSE as "portable" equipment or as "stationary" equipment. If the latter, it would be fine to install the receptacle. Hopefully you can explain that to the electrician, along with the code citation.

Cheers, Wayne

BAsrican said:
but his electrician said no, code requires EVSEs to be hardwired. (I'm in Durham NC).
Is this true?

It is not true for EVSEs that are correctly set for breakers of 50 Amps or less

SageBrush said:
Surprisingly, it is true for "portable" EVSEs for jurisdictions under the 2017 NEC. This was changed for the 2020 NEC.

So under the 2017 NEC, you're not supposed to walk up to a 14-50 receptacle and plug in your portable EVSE. But the NEC can't really regulate behavior like that. However, ask an electrician to install a 14-50 receptacle for the purpose of plugging in a portable EVSE, they may reasonably say "no I can't do that." Ask them to do it for a stationary EVSE, and it's OK.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
SageBrush said:
Surprisingly, it is true for "portable" EVSEs for jurisdictions under the 2017 NEC. This was changed for the 2020 NEC.

So under the 2017 NEC, you're not supposed to walk up to a 14-50 receptacle and plug in your portable EVSE. But the NEC can't really regulate behavior like that. However, ask an electrician to install a 14-50 receptacle for the purpose of plugging in a portable EVSE, they may reasonably say "no I can't do that." Ask them to do it for a stationary EVSE, and it's OK.

Cheers, Wayne
I can see why it was amended. That is just nonsensical given how RV park outlets are used and abused.

"Mr. electrician, I want an RV outlet. Some people call it a '14-50'."
"No problemo."

so if you put the Nissan EVSE holder bracket on the wall and slip in the Nissan EVSE...is it still portable :)

5X7ZZzhl.jpg

I would get another quote from another electrician. Ask to install a 14-50 outlet. You don't have to mention electric car because some may charge more when they hear electric car.

You did do your research, the Leaf will charge at a maximum of 27.5A so it's not faster if you buy a 40A EVSE. I would save the money by not having to purchase another EVSE.

Back