Trailer hitch

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heyguy

I want to install a trailer hitch on my 2019 Leaf. I want to buy a bike rack on the back of the car that needs a hitch. My dealer says Nissan did not make one. Has anyone installed a hitch on 2019 Leaf?

I have an EcoHitch on my Prius & one of these days I will also get one for my 2018 Leaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAjL9gXMBlk

https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-hitches/rear-mounted-receiver-hitches/ecohitch

I put an EcoHitch on my 2019 Leaf, a bit of fussing but not too difficult. If you do this yourself, grind the little jobbies that shove up into the Leaf frame a tiny bit so they fit easily into the frame holes (this will make more sense once you get the parts in hand). We have a bike rack that fits into the hitch, works well. Good luck!

I'd like to get an EcoHitch for my 2022 Leaf, but I'm unsure how to be sure that it will be safe for a 4-bike bike rack with 4 bikes on it. My two sources of uncertainty are:

1. The Torklift Central EcoHitch warranty/disclaimer info says:

*WARNING* Your vehicle may have a lower tow rating than this trailer hitch. If your vehicle’s tow
rating is less than the rated towing capacity on your Torklift Central trailer hitch, your trailer hitch capacity
is limited to your vehicle’s factory rated towing capacity.

...but the Leaf manual says:

Do not tow a trailer with your vehicle

...and does not provide any tow rating.

2. Even if I could rely on the 300 lb tongue weight rating of the EcoHitch, it's unclear to me how to figure out whether any particular 4-bike bike rack with a given set of bikes on it will be within that rating, since it depends on the leverage as well as the total weight - i.e. the parts horizontally furthest from the hitch exert more force at the hitch due to leverage than the parts immediately next to the hitch.

If anyone here has any information or advice about this, I'd very much appreciate it!

Depending on where you live, UHual offers very reasonable pricing on hitches and they will install for a very reasonable fee too:

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailer-Hitches/

alozzy said:
Depending on where you live, UHual offers very reasonable pricing on hitches and they will install for a very reasonable fee too:

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailer-Hitches/

Thanks. I actually looked there and they said that they didn't have one yet but if I drove to their R&D facility in Tempe, AZ, they'd custom-make one for free! But that's a bit of a long drive from where I live, and as far as I can tell an EcoHitch is the only other available option.

msiepmann said:
I'd like to get an EcoHitch for my 2022 Leaf, but I'm unsure how to be sure that it will be safe for a 4-bike bike rack with 4 bikes on it. My two sources of uncertainty are:

1. The Torklift Central EcoHitch warranty/disclaimer info says:

*WARNING* Your vehicle may have a lower tow rating than this trailer hitch. If your vehicle’s tow
rating is less than the rated towing capacity on your Torklift Central trailer hitch, your trailer hitch capacity
is limited to your vehicle’s factory rated towing capacity.

...but the Leaf manual says:

Do not tow a trailer with your vehicle

...and does not provide any tow rating.

2. Even if I could rely on the 300 lb tongue weight rating of the EcoHitch, it's unclear to me how to figure out whether any particular 4-bike bike rack with a given set of bikes on it will be within that rating, since it depends on the leverage as well as the total weight - i.e. the parts horizontally furthest from the hitch exert more force at the hitch due to leverage than the parts immediately next to the hitch.

If anyone here has any information or advice about this, I'd very much appreciate it!
Unless those 4 bikes weight more than the 200 lbs for the tongue weight, I wouldn't worry about it. Towing 2,000 lbs is a whole other beast compared to just putting a little weight on the back. ;)

Back