Buying 2018 nissan Leaf in October 2021

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiaka

Hi folks,
I’m thinking about buying a near new 2018 40kwh Nissan leaf in Ocober 2021.
This is from reputable car dealer in New Zealand.
The current kms is 850km and the soh 95%.
I am a little worried as this car would have been sitting around for most of 2 and half years or so.
Does sitting around for that long affect the batteries soh?
Also, on there website for this company they do have an exclaimer stating:
If the battery deteriorates to greater than 15% in one year, they may reimburse 10% of the car’s value.
The deterioration seems a lot before they may reimburse and 10% is not an awful lot of value considering. Is this something to be concerned about?
I’m thinking about getting the battery tested independently, which would take a couple of days.
I would really appreciate any bodies advice as this is the first electric car I have consider buying.
Many thanks
Tiaka

The good news is that if the SOH is 95%, then the battery hasn't been abused, and that sitting un-driven, while it may affect the little 12 volt accessory battery, shouldn't have harmed the car otherwise. Just make sure that the dealer really is reputable and hasn't reset the BMS a few weeks ago. The one issue I would check, with LeafSpy Pro, is to make sure that the battery has no bad cells. LeafSpy will show a kind of bar chart of the cell voltages, and will show bad or weak cells as having significantly lower voltages than the rest. Slight differences are normal, but differences greater than about 50mv are not.

The disclaimer may, if the local climate is on the warm side, be to cover battery degradation of the Gen 1 and 1.5 Leafs and of similar EVs with no battery cooling. So far, the Gen 2 Leaf batteries are holding up well, even in warmer climates. They are not immune to extreme heat, but they tolerate normally Hot Summers well.

:) Thanks for your input. That's food for thought. That gives me more confidence. Very much appreciated.
Cheers

Back