Buyer Advice: 2016 SL 30 kWh vs 2015 SV 24 kWh

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallyleaf

Hello all,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I have a 2015 SV 24 kWh lined up with 11/12 bars, 55k miles. Tires need replaced, no DC capability, 6.6 kW, Level 1 charger included. (I don't have 2 access but based on needs, should be fine.) Halogen lamps. $7k offer accepted.

I have a used lot working hard for my business as well. 2016 SL 30 kWh, 10/12 bars Tires are fine, has both DC and 6.6 kW, Level 1 charger included. Not sure on lamps, but guessing LED is standard on SL with DC. $11,250.

This will be my first EV, but I'm VERY excited to make the switch. Buying the 2015 tonight unless advised strongly the other way. Thanks in advance, and can't wait to officially become an owner!

I'm going to link my used Leaf buying guide. Pay close attention to the section on 30kwh Leafs. There is no easy answer here; the longer answer is that if you want the least hassle, get the '15, but if you are willing to gamble a bid, and deal with Nissan, the 30kwh Leaf will probably eventually (not for sure) qualify for a free 40kwh replacement battery.

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26662&p=538030

The 2015 SV probably has 4 good years of useful life before the range is insufficient, unless your range needs are minimal. But, there shouldn't be any surprises with this one. Not having CHADEMO L3 would be a bummer for me.

If you live in a hot climate, then the 2016 SL might lose enough bars in time to earn you a free 40 kWh as Lefty mentioned. Critical to find out if the BMS software upgrade has already been done, as otherwise the 10/12 bars is likely 11/12 bars and so you likely won't get a free replacement pack. Keep in mind that the pack warranty is also based on mileage, so if the 2016 SL is high mileage already then you might reach the mileage limit of the pack warranty first.

Having said all that, the 2016 likely has 25 kWh of useable capacity remaining right now, whereas the 2015 likely has more like 19 kWh. So, the 2016 will have about 20 - 25 more miles of range.

Tough call, but I'd probably take the 2015 as $7k is a good price.

The other option would be to stay patient and wait for a 9 bar 2016/2017 (30 kWh) LEAF, then roll the dice that you qualify for a free 40 kWh pack. A gamble though...

When you're referring to "6.6 kWh", you mean 6.6 kW which refers to the max wattage of the car's on-board charger. Charging rate is measured in kW, not kWh.

kWh are the proper units for energy and battery capacity.

Keep in mind that the pack warranty is also based on mileage, so if the 2016 SL is high mileage already then you might reach the mileage limit of the pack warranty first.

The warranty is 8 years/100k miles, though, not the 5/60k warranty offered on the 24kwh pack.

wallyleaf said:
Hello all,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I have a 2015 SV 24 kWh lined up with 11/12 bars, 55k miles. Tires need replaced, no DC capability, 6.6 kWh, Level 1 charger included. (I don't have 2 access but based on needs, should be fine.) Halogen lamps. $7k offer accepted.

I have a used lot working hard for my business as well. 2016 SL 30 kWh, 10/12 bars Tires are fine, has both DC and 6.6 kWh, Level 1 charger included. Not sure on lamps, but guessing LED is standard on SL with DC. $11,250.

This will be my first EV, but I'm VERY excited to make the switch. Buying the 2015 tonight unless advised strongly the other way. Thanks in advance, and can't wait to officially become an owner!
The 2015 is out of warranty, the 2016 has 3 more years warranty on the battery as well as 40,000 additional miles on it's warranty. it's got 20% more capacity right now than the 2015. Unless you drive 20 mi/day or less or just can't afford the higher payments, buy the 2016. If you drive it for 3 more years, you'll either get a new battery or you could sell it "as is" for $4000-$5000. What would you get for a 2015 with the small battery in 3 years?

I agree with Johnlocke regarding battery capacity, warranty, and future value. Also, the LED low beam headlights are much better for driving at night than the halogen low beams. Therefore, 2016 is a better long-term choice if you can afford it.

Yeah, the halogen low beams on gen 1 suck. The LED low beams were a lot better. I had the LEDs on my leased Leaf then the crap halogens on my owned used one.

cwerdna said:
When you're referring to "6.6 kWh", you mean 6.6 kW which refers to the max wattage of the car's on-board charger. Charging rate is measured in kW, not kWh.

kWh are the proper units for energy and battery capacity.

Thanks - edited/updated.

Back