How do I tell when the 12 volt nears its end

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hapibeli

Hello. I just want to avoid a headache. so how do I get "ahead" of my 12volt battery needing replacing. We have owned a w016 Leaf for 7 months. All good so far.
Thanks

If you want to be proactive, then replace the 12 volt battery at 4-5 years old, even if it isn't acting up. I strongly suggest an AGM battery with a somewhat higher capacity rating. The battery group designation is 51R - and the R has to be there or the cables won't reach the terminals.

hapibeli said:
Hello. I just want to avoid a headache. so how do I get "ahead" of my 12volt battery needing replacing. We have owned a w016 Leaf for 7 months. All good so far.
Thanks

Get a battery tester that gives state of health. A simple volt-meter check does not test the battery's ability to deliver power or hold a charge. The old school load tester is basically a small space-heater that puts a heavy load on the battery. You check the voltage under load. If voltage sags too much, the battery is getting weak. The newer style is electronic and makes its determination (I think) on the battery's internal resistance. If you go to Amazon and search for "battery load tester" you'll see examples of both types. I have the old-school type but I hear the digital ones do a good job. Use the tester every couple of months so you can spot any developing weakness before it becomes a problem. All ICE cars have such a load tester built-in, it's called the Starter Motor. When starting gets sluggish you know the battery is getting weak :)

Get one of these (https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/accessories/battery/chargers/bluetooth-tracker-lithium/).
Read my thread regarding 12v Lithium replacement (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11999).
I have had the same 12v LiFePO4 battery in my car for almost 7 years now...and I still use the "battery tracker" even though I have 12v monitoring via the OVMS.

Back