New Leaf Owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraZyLeS

Hi All,
I just purchased a 2015 Nissan Leaf SL, Super Black with Black leather, with 27K miles with most of the bells and whistles, even the solar cell on the rear, :lol: , all for the low low price under 10K. I was very impressed with the car, quiet, roomy, good pick up, fun to drive. This is my first EV and will be used for going to work mostly, 10 miles one way.

I check the maintenance for these cars and it is mostly, rotate the tires, and change the battery in the Key Fob. Crazy. No tune-ups, oil changes, emissions, timing belts. This is great.

I do say I have had some fun after bringing it home. The first thing was charging. I plugged in the cord and walked away. Came back after 4 hours and it was still at the same amount of charge. I know it is a trickle charge but thought this is nuts. So I did what I should have, read the directions. DOH!. I noticed the charger brick was flashing Ready green light. After some digging, I found I had a bad outlet with no ground or wired incorrectly. I will fix that later. I move it over to a different outlet, unplugged the clothes washer, the wife was not happy :x , and we were golden. One great thing I found when I got to work was my company has 4 charging stations for employees and will change the car for free. Wholly Cow. Now I don't even have to pay for electricity. This is great.

I have most things set up, Bluetooth, SiriusXM, (3 months free, nice) Radio Stations, but couldn't get the Carwings/Nissan Connect app to work. I have it registered but still had issues. I couldn't get the User ID and PIN so I could register in the car. I call the 1800 number and was told because of the AT&T 3G connection it was no longer supported and there was nothing I could do. I am a little bummed. Funny thing I was able to update charging stations in Carwings. Things that make you go hmmm.

I also checked the Nav and noticed the maps were from 2015 and the only SD Card update available is for 2018 for $179. Little pricy for old maps. Do you think it is worth the cost?

One more thing. With the Black on Black and tinted windows, standard, it is a little dark in the cabin, has anyone changed out the dome light with a bright LED? Maybe one in the cargo area too?

I do like the car and think I got a good deal.

Any feedback is welcome

CraZyLeS

One more thing. With the Black on Black and tinted windows, standard, it is a little dark in the cabin, has anyone changed out the dome light with a bright LED? Maybe one in the cargo area too?

It has been done. Hopefully someone who has done so will chime in now.

Pretty much everything the OP asked about is covered somewhere in these forums.

For his/her benefit, the search engine here is poor. However, if you do a Google search including site:mynissanleaf.com you will get good results.

For example:

"dome light" site:mynissanleaf.com

I changed my dome light and it definitely improved cabin lighting. Same with the one in the trunk space. Both are easy upgrades.

That isn't really a term. The range estimator is often referred to as the "Guess O Meter" because it isn't useful in most cases. I believe the question was 'How much range is the car estimating you have when fully charged?' The problem is that the "GOM" uses just the last few minutes of driving efficiency in older Leafs, and that isn't usually useful in estimating range.

LeftieBiker said:
That isn't really a term. The range estimator is often referred to as the "Guess O Meter" because it isn't useful in most cases. I believe the question was 'How much range is the car estimating you have when fully charged?' The problem is that the "GOM" uses just the last few minutes of driving efficiency in older Leafs, and that isn't usually useful in estimating range.

Thanks - I did a search and found nothing on GOMs - LOL

The guess-o-meter is generally useless. Elevation gain/loss, driving style, tire pressure, ambient temperature, road conditions - so many variables.

If 10 of us from these forums met up and drove the same route on the same day, I'm guessing there would be a wide efficiency variance among the group.

So, unfortunately, "it depends" is the truthful answer on expected range. The good news is that, after a couple of years.of ownership, you'll develop an instinctive sixth sense with respect to range.

Most new LEAF owners have range anxiety at first, so it's unlikely that you'll run out of capacity on longer trips as you'll likely charge before you really need to.

alozzy said:
The guess-o-meter is generally useless. Elevation gain/loss, driving style, tire pressure, ambient temperature, road conditions - so many variables.

If 10 of us from these forums met up and drove the same route on the same day, I'm guessing there would be a wide efficiency variance among the group.

So, unfortunately, "it depends" is the truthful answer on expected range. The good news is that, after a couple of years.of ownership, you'll develop an instinctive sixth sense with respect to range.

Most new LEAF owners have range anxiety at first, so it's unlikely that you'll run out of capacity on longer trips as you'll likely charge before you really need to.

I do not have range anxiety thank goodness, I just know if I have 18 (GOM's) or above I'll make the 16 mile trek to work, it's mostly downhill per se, so I make it and coming home I need 22 or more to make it home and I am ALWAYS on 0 when I pull into the driveway. I charge it every night when I get home, make it to work, then charge it to get home, it's an ugly cycle but I am just not ready for a car payment ugh.

alozzy said:
Much the same with the distance-to-empty display in ICE cars, and for the same reasons. Difference is that hardly anyone drives an ICE car anywhere close to empty on a regular basis.

Back