New 2019 SL+ Owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saito42

Hi, all -

Floridian here. Bought a used 2019 SL+ a couple of days ago and love it so far! I was amazed at the ride quality that was not there when I test drove a M3 and MY (not to mention $). Been stalking the threads over the last week or so trying to figure out long-term charging options. I have a 220V 6-20 30A in the garage now (thanks to a previous homeowner dinking with the original installation) and going to swap out that circuit for a 240V 14-50 50A. At least, then I can upgrade from the trickle. I hesitate to get a hardwired solution between the price of the unit and someone to come install (could do myself, but my wife doesn't trust me and electricity. :cry: )

I ordered an EVSE off Amazon with a 6-20 already, but honestly was nervous about the build quality and what it would do to the (new to me) car I just bought, so I very quickly returned. Seems like the majority here uses the OEM or a ClipperCreek model (6-8 wk lead time), and when looking at the EVSE list, many look like they either no longer make or are totally out of stock for the foreseeable future . I've also seen some latest reviews that the JuiceBox's are having some quality issues, at least those reporting on Amazon. With the LEAF being around so long, I'm honestly quite surprised that there isn't a greater OEM infrastructure like that of Tesla - am I missing something?

Thanks for the help and look forward to many (zero gas) adventures with you all!

Check the EVSE that came with the car, I would think that a 2019 SL+ would have come with the 120V/240V OEM unit that should be much faster than a 'trickle' charger.

The thing to remember is that the EVSE needs a circuit rated for 125% of the amperage of the cable since the circuit breakers should only be used at 80% of their rated capacity for continuous loads.

Pretty sure a NEMA 6-20R is designed for 20A max, despite having a 30A breaker...

You could inexpensively upgrade the receptacle to a NEMA 14-30R (likely using the existing wiring if it's at least 10 AWG), keep the existing breaker, then purchase a reasonably priced L2 EVSE that will allow you to charge 220V@24A (which is 80% of full speed L2 charging - good enough in my books).

Here's just one example of an L2 EVSE that has multiple amperage set points and it even has the ordering option for 14-30P:

https://bit.ly/3oAj7Se

goldbrick said:
Check the EVSE that came with the car, I would think that a 2019 SL+ would have come with the 120V/240V OEM unit that should be much faster than a 'trickle' charger.

The thing to remember is that the EVSE needs a circuit rated for 125% of the amperage of the cable since the circuit breakers should only be used at 80% of their rated capacity for continuous loads.

Yes, it has the 120V/240V unit just no outlet yet, so have to use the 5-15 adapter until I can get an upgrade of the circuitry to the 14-50. Part of me didn't want to do the EVSE shuffle with the portable OEM unit, so just trying to think if there are other trustworthy options. I'm likely overly paranoid with some of these solutions, given this is my first EV and experience with other cheaply made electronic parts.

alozzy said:
Pretty sure a NEMA 6-20R is designed for 20A max, despite having a 30A breaker...

You could inexpensively upgrade the receptacle to a NEMA 14-30R (likely using the existing wiring if it's at least 10 AWG), keep the existing breaker, then purchase a reasonably priced L2 EVSE that will allow you to charge 220V@24A (which is 80% of full speed L2 charging - good enough in my books).

Here's just one example of an L2 EVSE that has multiple amperage set points and it even has the ordering option for 14-30P:

https://bit.ly/3oAj7Se

Yeah, I'm thinking the previous homeowner just replaced the 14-30 plate with a 6-20 for some specific need. As stated in my other post, I may be being overly cautious on the solution given some previous experience with faulty electrical equipment. Guess I just didn't realize how reliant the LEAF is on third-party secondary solutions from the OEM EVSE.

Thanks for providing that link - I'll take a closer look at it.

There are plenty of reliable third party charging stations available - even some good Chinese brand units. The J-1772 standard is robust enough that, as long as you don't manage to buy one of the relatively rare bad quality units, you'll be fine.

I leave the Nissan EVSE at home and keep a 120 Volt only EVSE that I bought for @ $120 in the trunk for emergency use.

Of course, if I really needed to...I could always take the Nissan EVSE with me on a road trip.

Mounted the wall bracket and added a wire holder:

Iu9CATrl.jpg

saito42 said:
Thanks for the help

Step #1:
Turn off electricity
Verify that electricity is off
Identify # and type/gauge of wires in your EV (to be) charging circuit
Identify each wire's termination point in your panel as either breaker, ground, or neutral

DO NOT install a 14-50 receptacle unless the wires in your circuit can take 50 Amps and are wired correctly

Agree with Sage's advice. I was surprised to hear about the lead times. I checked https://store.clippercreek.com/level2?sort=p.price&order=ASC and sure enough, there is a several week wait on some units.

Hope the OP can figure out his electrical situation and get something suitable relatively quickly. I'm wary about buying random no-name Chinese EVSEs on Amazon. I see lots of people doing stuff like that on Bolt groups and find it disturbing. If I needed to get one, I would personally only buy ones from reputable brands.

I would challenge you to find any EVSE, or pretty much any electronic device, that's not mostly made in China with respect to components. About the best you can hope for is "assembled in the USA" - or in Canada :)

For something more domestic, Grizzl-E is reasonably priced and their products seem to be of high quality (I don't own any of their products though).

alozzy said:
I would challenge you to find any EVSE, or pretty much any electronic device, that's not mostly made in China with respect to components. About the best you can hope for is "assembled in the USA" - or in Canada :)
Indeed. I'm not so concerned about where the components come from or assembly, but prefer to have at least a reputable company behind it that may have been involved in engineering, qualifying components, validation, testing for compatibility with US BEVs, watching over quality, etc. They're more likely to have at least competent EEs.

No-name random vendors are what concern me.

Not that this is the same type of device, but it's not a surprise that at http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html, the counterfeit stuff is crap whereas Apple, Samsung, HP and Motorola either have at least competent EEs and/or their vendors do. (And yes, I have numerous genuine USB-A and USB-C AC adapters from Apple, all made in China. And yes, it seems every Apple product I have is also made in China. I have a ton as I work on iOS software for living.)

I did the same as Learjet, installed a 14-50R receptacle in my vacation cabin shed and mounted a OEM Nissan 120/240v EVSE. I found one on eBay for about $200 and it stays there full time. I keep the one that came with my SL+ in the trunk. The Nissan OEM 120/240v EVSE is a robust well built device.

I initially installed a Clipper Creek at the vacation cabin but it died after the first use.

At the main house I have had a hard wired Eaton EVSE since 2015 that originally was used to charge my first EV.

Vacation cabin shed

Uir5EUpl.jpg

Main house Eaton EVSE

c0ipCjjl.jpg

Clipper Creek that died after first use

8dg1ypsl.jpg

SageBrush said:
saito42 said:
Thanks for the help

Step #1:
Turn off electricity
Verify that electricity is off
Identify # and type/gauge of wires in your EV (to be) charging circuit
Identify each wire's termination point in your panel as either breaker, ground, or neutral

DO NOT install a 14-50 receptacle unless the wires in your circuit can take 50 Amps and are wired correctly

I agree with everything else, especially the safety part, except that I would say it is OK to use a 40A breaker and 40A wiring with a 14-50 receptacle. This would handle the power requirements of a 2019 Leaf+ and would be code compliant. I would also add that if you do end up doing the wiring yourself, get it inspected. A permit isn't expensive and is well worth it in the long run, IMHO.

First, congratulations. I too have a 2019 SL+ and I love it. I'm averaging about 2.6 cents per mile charging cost.
I keep the factory EVSE in the car all the time for on the go charging anywhere there's an outlet and I installed a ChargePoint EVSE at home. I like it a lot because I can monitor actual cost on the phone app. I posted a video of the installation.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/RlgaZrxTF-g[/youtube]

saito42 said:
Hi, all -

Floridian here. Bought a used 2019 SL+ a couple of days ago and love it so far! I was amazed at the ride quality that was not there when I test drove a M3 and MY (not to mention $). Been stalking the threads over the last week or so trying to figure out long-term charging options. I have a 220V 6-20 30A in the garage now (thanks to a previous homeowner dinking with the original installation) and going to swap out that circuit for a 240V 14-50 50A. At least, then I can upgrade from the trickle. I hesitate to get a hardwired solution between the price of the unit and someone to come install (could do myself, but my wife doesn't trust me and electricity. :cry: )

I ordered an EVSE off Amazon with a 6-20 already, but honestly was nervous about the build quality and what it would do to the (new to me) car I just bought, so I very quickly returned. Seems like the majority here uses the OEM or a ClipperCreek model (6-8 wk lead time), and when looking at the EVSE list, many look like they either no longer make or are totally out of stock for the foreseeable future . I've also seen some latest reviews that the JuiceBox's are having some quality issues, at least those reporting on Amazon. With the LEAF being around so long, I'm honestly quite surprised that there isn't a greater OEM infrastructure like that of Tesla - am I missing something?

Thanks for the help and look forward to many (zero gas) adventures with you all!

DougWantsALeaf said:
Is chargepoint aware of the variable power costs from the power company?

Yes. You have to input the rate schedule you are on and the app does the rest. You can get this info from your utility provider.

saito42 said:
I ordered an EVSE off Amazon with a 6-20 already, but honestly was nervous about the build quality and what it would do to the (new to me) car I just bought, so I very quickly returned. Seems like the majority here uses the OEM or a ClipperCreek model (6-8 wk lead time), and when looking at the EVSE list, many look like they either no longer make or are totally out of stock for the foreseeable future .

One thing to keep in mind is the actual charger is under the hood & is part of the car. The EVSE merely provides the power so the quality of the EVSE is important but not as big part of the system as you may have been led to believe.

The quality(size) of the wiring is frankly more important overall & sizing the EVSE to your existing wiring is the most critical choice IMO of your EVSE selection.

I have the OEM 32A EVSE that came with my 2018 SL & I am seriously thinking about buying one of those sub $200 EVSE's that limit charging to 10A @230V to enforce a lower C rate while charging to potentially allow the 192 individual cells to more evenly charge since the car will charge at about 1/3 the charge rate of my current EVSE.

I typically only charge 90 min per night for my daily needs so bumping that to 4-5 hours while I sleep is inconsequential to me. Anecdotally I really wish Nissan offered that option within the car software like Tesla but alas they do not.

Thanks for all the great feedback, all! I ended up getting a ClipperCreek 14-30 Plug version, and will end up swapping out the outlet from a 6-20 to the 14-30. Wiring is already 10 gauge and the 30 amp breaker makes this easier. Plus, I was quoted a little over $700 to get an electrician to do a new 14-50 outlet (can't swap easily). Cheaper to go this route, and now qualify for the 30% Tax Credit - just hope I don't have the same experience with CC as Flyct.

Will end up keeping the OEM in the car as a backup and will use the CC to get my nightly charge to/from work. Thanks again!

Sure hope the Clipper Creek you ordered isn't going to pull 27.5A from the 30A circuit, as you can't safely do full rate charging on a 30A circuit.

Back