New (Australian) owner having trouble with charge timer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mazb

Not sure how different a US Leaf is, to an Aussie Leaf, but hopefully they’re sufficiently similar, for me to be able to benefit from advice from users of this forum. 🙂

This evening, I endeavored to set the charge timer, for the first time (I’ve only had my 2019 Leaf for a week). I wanted to schedule the charging to correspond with my overnight off-peak power supply, & all seemed good, until I plugged the charger in & turned it on at the powerpoint - I don’t yet have an wall charger, so am charging from a powerpoint in my kitchen, for now. So, after plugging the charger into the Leaf, & turning it on, the 3 charge indicator lights began flashing, in succession, accompanied by a repetitive beeping & a bit of clunking. I was expecting this to continue for around 5 minutes, as per the info in the manual. However, 30 minutes later, it still hadn’t stopped, so I removed the charger, as charging wasn’t scheduled to start for another 5 hours & I didn’t feel I should leave it that way, for that long. I’m now going to have to go out at 10pm & get the charging started, which is really disappointing, & annoying.

I did try going through the entire procedure a number of times, in case I’d missed a step, but all to no avail. I’m really hoping someone, in this forum, can shed light on why this may have happened, as google came up with nothing.

Thanks in advance, for any suggestions!

I had that happen, years ago, with a Clipper Creek charging station that had been refurbished after being used to charge a fleet of EV prototypes. It happened ONLY when I set the charge timer. Clipper Creek told me that it had been rewired improperly by the reseller, and they fixed it for free. Going by that, my first guess would be that you have a defective EVSE (charging cable). Second guess would be that your EVSE isn't compatible with your household voltage. Does it charge normally without the charge timer on? These are, as I said, just guesses. Others will weigh in, I'm sure. Welcome to the site.

Thanks for your response, & the welcome. 🙂
To answer your question, yes it has, so far, been charging fine, plugged into the same powerpoint.
After I manually started the charge, last night, the timer stopped the charge, at the designated time, this morning, but as soon as it stopped, the whole flashing lights/beeping/clunking started up again ... . 🥴

Back