How to avoid radio turning on when car starts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBCLeaf

Every time I get in the Leaf and press the start button the audio system also turns on even though it was off when I turned the car off. At first I thought I was mistaken about having turned it off, but I've verified several times that it was indeed off when I shut off the car. It's kind of annoying because when it happens as I'm backing out of the driveway I can't shut it off until I'm done backing up (the buttons are unresponsive while backing), not to mention the general annoyance of the radio turning on and blaring when I didn't want it on in the first place.

I suspect my problem might be covered by this thread: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23579

If that's the case, it's impressive for Nissan to ignore such an annoying fault in their infotainment system going on 3 years. I think I'll have to pull the fuse. I'd rather have no radio than have to wrestle with that every time I start the car.

What's the opposite of "growing on me"?

I don't have your gen of Leaf but maybe point to SiriusXM channel 0? That's a common complaint and workaround on Bolt.

I don't have your issue on my (old) Leaf but then again, I'm almost always fine w/the stereo being on when I power up my Leaf...

I finally think I figured it out. If you switch the radio off while playing music from a USB device it will always start playing again when you turn the car on ... even if the radio was switched off hours before the car was parked. It seems like if the radio is turned off while it's playing AM or FM radio it will stay off the next time the car is started.

goldbrick said:
That's how my 2017 S behaves. I have never used the USB though.

The most annoying part isn't so much that it's on, but that it comes on when you're backing up and you can't turn it off or turn the volume down while you're backing up. If you have a long driveway it can be pretty annoying.

Back