Namibia Joins LEAF. NooB here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesGibbs

Hello All,

Thanks for creating this awesome forum to help all us noobs.

Anyway, Have started on a venture out here where we would like to convert a niassan Leaf into a compact ute or truck for doing smaller farm chores on a local farm, I have two questions.

1: Can the the car be run without the car radio console?
2: Can the car be run with out the immobilizer?

Both these systems won't be needed in the environment it is going to be used in and we would like to make the car as easy as possible to use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Charles

Welcome!

Instead of modifying a LEAF, I suggest fitting one with a trailer hitch and attaching the utility trailer that best meets your needs. That way you can have a larger cargo bed and more payload capacity with the sides of your choice, or no sides, and dumping ability, etc., while maintaining the comfort and integrity of the LEAF.

Instead of removing and modifying electronics, I suggest leaving the audio system off and keeping a key fob in the center console.

Converting an EV car to a ute is a major undertaking. Have you seen Simone Giertz's Truckla project?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKv_N0IDS2A

You might also consider a GEM, Cushman, or similar electric utility vehicle.

Best wishes--keep us posted!

I put a trailer hitch on my leaf and use a trailer to drag stuff all over the place. I even used it to drag smaller cut down trees to my tree disassembly area.

I know of a person in Northampton MA who plows their driveway with an older Leaf! They have a newer one for driving on roads.....

Hi All.

Thank you for your answeres.

This project has already begun. I am only a small part of it, but, my part is to make the car as minimalist as possible.

@PrairieLEAF, yes I have seen the truckla conversion video.

Mods on the body and cab have already started. The difference though with the leaf is that it as far as I know should not need it's center console to work. Also. The owner has requested all non essential electronics be remoeved, also, this car will not be going for raod worthyness again it is effectivly being taken off the road.

In short, I need to know if the radio is a must and how to disable and remove the immobilizer. Any information on this subject would be more than welcome.

Thank you in advance.
Regards
Charles

Do you have a key? The easiest approach to the immobilizer would be to just keep the key or the immobilizer part permanently in the car. You could tape it to the coil antenna that transmits to it to reduce the power required. I say this because on every other car I've worked on, the immobilizer is not a simple device that can be added or removed but it is just a numbered token in the key fob that must match the number programmed in the car's computer software. The only way I know of disabling them is to re-program the software to skip that check when the computer enables the car to move.

@goldbrick.

Hi, thanks you for reaching out.

Yes, we do jave the keys, these ate all japanese imports so all legal.

The big problem we have is that the imobilizer could fail and the car will be in a bery remote location. Approximately 1000km drive one way. We are trying remove any part of the system not entirely needed to run the car. AC and cabin heating have been removed already, we are now working on the body. Just for further info. This is a 2011 gen 1 leaf.

Again, thank you all.

Regards
Charles

Back