Replacing Battery Cell (Not the battery, only cells)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danu1985

Hi.. I am from Sri Lanka. Currently i have 3white bars & 2Red bars in my car. It is 2014 manufactured Leaf and run almost 140,000KM now. After 100% full charge i usually drive around 50-60KM with A/C. What i want to know is, replacing the battery cells is good or not?. How success is it at all and is it worthy to do ? and finally if replaced the cells then how far it can be use and how many KM’s can run with it. I would like to know your ideas and recommendation on this.
open
open

Thank you all

Have a nice day ahead !

Since the cells in the battery packs tend to degrade fairly evenly, replacing cells only makes sense when there are defective cells present, not simply because of overall degradation. LeafSpy Pro is an app that, with a OBDII port reader like the one in my signature, can show you the status of all the cells in the pack. Since you have only a few capacity bars left, though, it is unlikely that a couple of bad cells are your problem. I'm sorry.

Replacing whole battery (and even upgrading to a bigger 30/40 size) is muuuch more worth the effort.

Simply swapping out the few worst cells is dangerous (since you need to handle high voltage), takes a long time and only helps a few %.

A battery upgrade will make your range +200-400%, be quick to perform and much safer.

Back