Level 2 charging without charging station?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danperrino

Just bought a new 2020 Leaf. Looking for a faster way to charge. Used the trickle charge and it took about 24 hours to charge. Does anyone know if charging can be done with a dedicated 220 circuit without installing a home charging unit.

I've edited the title to make it more specific and searchable. If your Leaf came with a dual voltage charging cable/EVSE, then you can install just a 240 NEMA 14-50 volt outlet on a dedicated circuit, and use that. The circuit has to be 40 or 50 amps, though - NOT a 30 amp dryer circuit. The reason is that the Nissan dual voltage unit draws the full 27.5 amps that the car can use, and this exceeds the requirement that this kind of device use no more than 80% of a circuit's available amperage. Nissan goofed by not providing either a 24 amp charging cable or at least a setting for that amperage.

If your Leaf came with just the 120 volt charging cable (no Tech Package) then you can get a 240 volt, 16 or 20 amp L-2 EVSE cable for about $200.

Thanks. Very helpful. i believe my Leaf S plus has dual voltage capacity because it has an adapter to use on the 110 trickle charge.
Hopefully all that is needed is to install a dedicated 220 circuit. And it should speed up charging significantly.

Danperrino said:
Thanks. Very helpful. i believe my Leaf S plus has dual voltage capacity because it has an adapter to use on the 110 trickle charge.
Hopefully all that is needed is to install a dedicated 220 circuit. And it should speed up charging significantly.

Yes to both. Remember to make sure the new circuit is at least 40 amps, and 50 is ok too - many would say better, as it allows for faster charging for a future EV.

Here is a link to a topic on inexpensive EVSEs. I don't personally endorse the Duosida because it isn't UL certified, but many people do.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22692&hilit=inexpensive+EVSEs

Yes and that's precisely what I do.
I installed some dedicated 240v receptacles at my house and my rental houses and just use a 16 amp 240v EVSE that I keep in my car.
You will find a lowly 16 amp 240 evse can charge your car at least 3 times faster than 12 amps at 120v because it's more than double the power for 1 and as a bonus it's more efficient to bump 240v alternating current to battery voltage than it is with 120v.

Back