Jimfastcar
Delivery Date: 11 May 2020

Decision time !

Thu May 07, 2020 4:25 pm

I apologize because I expect that all the answers to my questions are in various threads, but I need to make a decision in the next very few days.
This will be my first electric car and I have been reading on the subject for several months. My decision to purchase an electric car is partly predicated on costs of operation but also my willingness to pay a reasonable premium as my contribution to the environment.
I live in a Condo building having sold our house, but we have 4 public use indoor L2 chargers and I will be installing one in my parking spot.
I have a deposit and have ordered a Tesla Model Y, but frankly am getting cold feet at the $ 25.000 difference with the Leaf SL Plus, and the reality that 90% + of my driving will be under 100 Km per day as I am retiring in a few months. I am 67 and have had my share of excitement in my life, so no need to blaze down the highway and compete with the youngsters. Prefer to bank my hard earned money.
Long winded intro, my apologies.
1. Winters - I live in Oakville (Toronto) Canada - how much range can I expect to lose ?
2. Tesla's are wonderful and exciting cars, but having done a lot of reading on Forums, etc, they really are a work in progress. Even though I am reasonably comfortable with technology, I really dont want to spend a lot of time fussing - are Leaf's reasonably get in and go year after year ?
3. We will still keep an ICE car for my wife, perhaps a plug in Hybrid in future for the very occasional longer trip; but on the rare occasions I might want to go further afield with the Leaf, are there options along the lines of the Tesla super chargers, ie, high power / fast charging ?
4.I test drove a basic model today as that was the Demo of my local dealer, but I will want to get the top model with the creature comforts, any concerns or advice on this inclination ?
5. Should I get a longer term warranty plan ? Can I expect 100,000 Km reasonably trouble-free ? I have driven 4 Infiniti's for 20 years without any problem whatsoever.

I will stop here so as not to overtax your patience, but if you can think of anything you might offer a complete novice it would be appreciated.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Decision time !

Thu May 07, 2020 5:23 pm

If you prefer comfort over handling (and would like a heated steering wheel in Winter) and have range needs under 200km, I suggest a Leaf Plus. The mid and high end models will have 'Chademo' DC Fast Charging, which seems to be widely available in most of Canada. A 40kwh Leaf would meet your needs most of the time, but if you want near Tesla-like range along with comfort and great acceleration, the Plus version with 62kwh battery is superior. It should exceed your range needs even in Winter. You shouldn't need an extended warranty. Just make sure that it has the All Weather Package if it's an SV (I believe this is required in Canada anyway) and if possible get the Tech Package,for Pro Pilot driving assist and for Around View, a fantastic 4 camera parking system.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Thu May 07, 2020 6:42 pm

In your case I would get the LEAF. SV Plus with cold weather package seems good, if you really want leather than get the SL. My neighbours around me have Teslas and I see funny little build quality things where they have to take it in for service which is covered but can take a long time silly crap like a door handle or something, I have not seen this with a LEAF. I feel the LEAF has a better build quality and reliability other than a history of trouble with batteries in hot climates like Arizona (which you do not live in). The Plus has more cells in it's battery so I have so far not been able to heat it up like earlier batteries. Tesla is way faster both in top speed and 0-60, yea I don't need that either but I think you will find that the LEAF accelerates 0-60 faster than many cars on the road. Tesla will probably do better in hot climates with their battery cooling system but again you do not live in death valley.

I'll tell you another funny thing I like about the LEAF, actual physical controls for things like air conditioning etc. What this allows is you to feel and keep your eyes on the road. I have yet to see a Y but from what I looked at looks like they liked touch screen controls, to me that feels dangerous as I cannot feel the controls and would have to look at the screen.

The tech package around view is awesome, propilot assist is nice in heavy traffic on the highways if you have that problem (I do sometimes). It does not do as much as Tesla autopilot but does steer to keep you in lane and maintain distance albeit with your hand on the wheel. You could even cut this if you don't think you'll use it and save more money. My wife also likes the LED headlights. Much of this is just included in the SL.

Other EVs may be available in your area as well.

Jimfastcar
Delivery Date: 11 May 2020

Thu May 07, 2020 7:34 pm

Thanks for your comments folks, appreciate it

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Thu May 07, 2020 9:27 pm

If you're buying new, get a Kia Niro EV instead:

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/kia/niro%20 ... 9&sprx=250

Or a Kona Electric:

https://www.autotrader.ca/cars/hyundai/ ... ncedSearch

Or a.Kia Soul EV:

https://www.autotrader.ca/cars/kia/soul ... asicSearch

Or an IONIQ Electric:

https://www.autotrader.ca/cars/hyundai/ ... ncedSearch

If you don't need as much range, the IONIQ Electric is a very nice car and considerably less expensive.
Last edited by alozzy on Fri May 08, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Fri May 08, 2020 6:54 am

I think a Leaf SL plus would be a great match for you with what you plan to use it for. Great car, well screwed together and should serve you well in winter. And you’ll love the heated steering wheel. It’s also easier to get in and out of than my wife’s model 3 Tesla although I think the model Y is a little higher so maybe not as much of a difference there. My wife loves her Tesla and I drive it every chance I get. Super nice as well...and crazy fast. But getting in and driving my 2016 Leaf feels like coming home. Still the best car I have owned.

Good luck with the decision.
2020 Model 3 Tesla. AWD with FSD. Deep metallic blue. Our daily driver.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh Culis Red. Sold. Was my daily driver. Loved that car.
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Fri May 08, 2020 9:32 am

I heard the Korean EVs have a shorter battery warranty but otherwise are very good and worth a look.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Fri May 08, 2020 10:32 am

Jimfastcar wrote:
I apologize because I expect that all the answers to my questions are in various threads, but I need to make a decision in the next very few days.

I will stop here so as not to overtax your patience, but if you can think of anything you might offer a complete novice it would be appreciated.
It's a complex topic and a lot to learn for first-time EV buyers. My advice if you're being pressured to make a decision that you are unprepared for, is to walk away from it, regroup, and do your homework.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

frontrangeleaf
Delivery Date: 08 Jul 2019

Fri May 08, 2020 11:58 am

Nubo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:32 am
Jimfastcar wrote:

It's a complex topic and a lot to learn for first-time EV buyers. My advice if you're being pressured to make a decision that you are unprepared for, is to walk away from it, regroup, and do your homework.
What Nubo said. This is a complex topic, and a bunch of $$$. Regroup and do your homework, unless you are so very liquid in these uncertain times that you can afford to make a 5-figure mistake, and walk away with no long term damage to your financial security looking into retirement.

EVs are different in many, many ways. There is a lot to consider. We bought our Leaf SL Plus as an inexpensive way to learn about them, precisely because there is no substitute for hands on experience. That said, that was a year ago. We would not buy *any* car right now, unless our daily driver laid down and died outright. Even then, likely not, as we'd pay instead to have it repaired since it's not too old. YMMV. Good luck.
Empty-nesters - NW Denver-Boulder Area

2019 Leaf SL Plus
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si
2012 VW GTI

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Fri May 08, 2020 1:04 pm

The OP seems to have put in some time, effort, and thought already:

"... I have been reading on the subject for several months. My decision to purchase an electric car is partly predicated on costs of operation but also my willingness to pay a reasonable premium as my contribution to the environment ... I live in a Condo building having sold our house ... 90% + of my driving will be under 100 Km per day as I am retiring in a few months ..."

He sounds like a good candidate for an EV, but he should spend some more time understanding the EV options in Ontario as he's lucky to have more options than just LEAF vs Tesla Model 3...

The IONIQ Electric, with a 38 kWh pack, seems like a good fit for him, as does a standard range LEAF - if he's looking for something more budget friendly. An IONIQ is super efficient, so I would expect that even during winter he'll easily get 150 km range. It's also a big enough car for a retiree who will likely seldom have more than 1 passenger, or maybe some grand kids in the back seat.

Otherwise, if he wants more range and has a bigger budget, then a Kona Electric, Kia Niro, or Kia Soul EV, each with a 64 kWh pack, would be a good fit. He should get 275 km winter range with any of those cars (or with a LEAF Plus).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN2cjKhkCqg
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”