Have To Make Decision By Today. Which Year And Trim?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsrocky94

Hello!
This is my first post as well as the first time I have been on this site. I've been looking around for some answers to my questions and did find quite a lot. Everyone seems very friendly and knowledgeable, I know I'm in the right place! If something I say or do is against the rules, please let me know as I am a novice with EVs, Nissans and this forum. I know I have much to learn!
I have procrastinated.... and now I'm kinda freaking out because I have till the end of today April 30 to make a decision. I have decided I am absolutely getting a leaf. I have been researching for about a week and the inventory keeps changing and I keep having more questions.

So, I have 2 options, of which I have to choose within hours. I will try to link them if that's okay?
My options are either a 2013 Nissan Leaf S (with fast charging) or 2015 Nissan Leaf S (with fast charging). The 2013 model is older than the 2015, but has less miles. The 2013 Leaf S has 19,557 miles and the 2015 Nissan Leaf S has 62,487 miles. Both have the original battery I believe from the information I have been given. They both have been kept up and taken good care of. No accidents or anything. The 2015 Leaf S is cheaper than the 2013 Leaf S model, with the 2013 model selling for $10,900 and the newer 2015 model is $10,590. Which would you go for if you were me?

I'm sorry I didn't think and find this forum earlier. Everyone is kinda all over the place due to COVID-19 and I've had a few deaths in my family within the last 3 months, including my dog. After reading a few other posts, I see I should give some info on what my daily life is life and how much I would be driving.

I live in Fairfax, Virginia. It's about 20mins from Washington, D.C. It's super hot and humid in the summer and winter is usually mild. We do get hit bad with winter weather every few years but, it's not normal to see temps go below freezing most of the time. I am unemployed at the moment, due to my company laying off my entire department. I need a better car to get a new job as my previous was literally down the street. In average, once working, I will be driving maybe 8-10miles a day. Once in awhile, I do go a bit farther to see family in Culpeper which is about an hour away. Besides that, the only time I usually use my car is for grocery shopping, doctor appts, etc.
Like I said, I am sorry that I am asking for y'alls help and advice so last minute. I have to pick by this evening and I hope you guys can help me out. I really appreciate it so much!! If any other details are needed or if anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

THANK YOU ALL for being such an amazing group of people!! I hope that once I get my leaf, I can get the hang of everything and pay it forward, helping others in the future who are in the same situation as I am in, as you have all done for me. Thanks! Stay healthy!!

~ Rocky

This one is easy. Get the 2015 S. The odometer reading isn't the most important factor, or even one of them. The battery health and resistance to your somewhat Hot climate is what matters. The 2013 will have one of two batteries, depending on month of manufacture: early 2013 Leafs have the old, bad battery chemistry that degenerates rapidly. A newer build 2013 will have an improved battery that is still not really resistant to lots of heat. The 2015 will have the best, most heat-resistant 24kwh battery Nissan ever made. All other things being anywhere close to equal, the 2015 is the car you want. My condolences and best wishes that your family's luck improves.

In case the deal falls through, here is my used Leaf buying guide:

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26662&p=538030

itsrocky94 said:
I need a better car to get a new job as my previous was literally down the street. In average, once working, I will be driving maybe 8-10miles a day. Once in awhile, I do go a bit farther to see family in Culpeper which is about an hour away. Besides that, the only time I usually use my car is for grocery shopping, doctor appts, etc.

The statement above doesn't add up: if I were in a difficult financial situation, I wouldn't buy anything right now (assuming your current car functions). Almost any Leaf will make the short job commute, but no (Gen1) Leaf will make that trip to visit family an "hour away". One piece of advice: don't buy any used Leaf without taking some sort of battery pack/health reading (like LeafSpy).
I hope things get better for you and your family.

Sorry for your loss, my brother passed away a little over a month ago and my wife also has cancer so I empathize with your situation.

I personally wouldn't buy any LEAF without using LeafSpy to get a better sense of the battery pack health.

One thing working in your favor is that plugshare.com shows lots of charging options in your area.

Given your circumstances, I would find a cheap 2013 with a decent battery.

This one looks really promising:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=545429014

Based on the last photo in the slides on Autotrader, it has two orange high voltage cables which means it has the faster L2 charging as well as DC fast charging. The DC fast charging will make those trips to visit family much easier, as you can charge quickly while en route.

One of the screenshots also shows 11/12 capacity bars so the battery is decent, given the age of the LEAF.

If you check out that car, have a look at the driver's side door panel to see when it was manufactured. You want a 2013 that was made in April or later.

dcdisc said:
Check DC craigslist .four leafs for 5000-7500.11 bars for a 2013 and 78k miles...possible bms manipulation?...If you have more time I am in Alexandria for questions.thks Bob

A BMS reset would be suspected if all 12 capacity bars were showing and the LeafSpy stats were stellar. Very unlikely on an 11 bar...

alozzy said:
dcdisc said:
Check DC craigslist .four leafs for 5000-7500.11 bars for a 2013 and 78k miles...possible bms manipulation?...If you have more time I am in Alexandria for questions.thks Bob

A BMS reset would be suspected if all 12 capacity bars were showing and the LeafSpy stats were stellar. Very unlikely on an 11 bar...

Maybe not VERY unlikely, as it could be a reset BMS starting to re-learn the pack, but I agree that it isn't especially likely. Once again, odometer readings for Leafs are of minimal importantance, unless maybe they are above 100k miles.

Back