Real range of Leaf SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafaelcp09

On my original post I mentioned about temperatures here in sunny Puerto Rico; metro case around 90-100° summer time (road). Only will like to know from you guys which lives in hot areas, your real range. I had been seen You Tube videos ranging from 178-210. And on Alex on Autos he did 223. That will be my deciding point to import one or buying a DYI Powerwall and buying an eNiro or Kona ev (due to range), since charging infrastructure here in PR is prehistoric. No Dc Fast Charging (only 7.2k), and only one Tesla Supercharger. So all your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks
Rafael

What is your speed on the highway/freeway?

What's your speed in town/city streets & in neighborhoods?

How congested are the roads where you live?

When you run A/C what temp do you typically set it to?

A better question may be what is your miles/kWh consumption

I have a 40kWh SL & in the warmer weather driving 60mph on the freeway using ProPilot & about 60% of my miles are in town around 35-40mph I typically get 4.3-4.8 miles/kWh

The people getting 178 on a full charge are likely either in cold/colder weather & also likely driving at higher freeway speeds like 70-80mph & the majority of the trip is at that speed.

HerdingElectrons said:
What is your speed on the highway/freeway?

What's your speed in town/city streets & in neighborhoods?

How congested are the roads where you live?

When you run A/C what temp do you typically set it to?

A better question may be what is your miles/kWh consumption

I have a 40kWh SL & in the warmer weather driving 60mph on the freeway using ProPilot & about 60% of my miles are in town around 35-40mph I typically get 4.3-4.8 miles/kWh

The people getting 178 on a full charge are likely either in cold/colder weather & also likely driving at higher freeway speeds like 70-80mph & the majority of the trip is at that speed.

Good response! Most that ask the range question, fail to consider/understand how range is affected. Without answering your questions,
a range number is meaningless. My two Leafs typically provide about 5 miles/kWh, but I rarely exceed 60 mph, rarely use A/C or heat,
and always in B-Mode.

Didn't mention that I was thinking on a 62kwh. Sorry!
Ok, Highway/freeway 55-65 mph, anything above that is illegal here.
-Town/city back road 25-40mph, neighborhood 5-10 mph.
-Metro area is a mess, traffic jams everywhere.
-Currently I have an ICE, and put a/c about 15-20 minutes prior leaving house.
-My conmute mostly 25-30% town driving, about 25% city back road and rest on highway.
-Weekend trip are 70% highway, 30% city back roads, depending on the choosen route.
My biggest concern is charge infrastructure, is prehistoric, only L2 7.2kwh, no DC Fast Chargers, and only one Tesla 72kwh in PR.
Concern is in a weekend trip arriving on 90% with 180-195 miles and having 10% 15-25 miles and having to wait three hours in a 7.2k (28-30 miles/hour) charger to have enough juice for the way back.
Or maybe stop to munch something and juice one hour to avoid the three hours.
My original idea (stated in my original first post) was to use it as a back up battery to juice the house in an emergency event using a wallbox Quasar bidirectional charger and juicing the leaf every three, four days with a 8,000w-10,000w generator instead putting solar panels, since PR is in direct route of hurracanes.
Other alternative is checking ebay, Alibaba for a decent DIY powerwall and decide for eNiro or Kona ev.
Any other idea, alternative, or comment will be appreciated.

I think that if you didn't have a regular trip with range issues, it would be a fine idea. Given that trip, however, you may want to look at PHEVs with bigger batteries (Like maybe a used Volt) that can power some emergency appliances for longer terms, after a battery bank has been depleted. Yes, I know: using a 62kwh leaf is so much simpler, but it sounds like you would hate taking that long trip regularly...

The weekend trip mileage is that round trip & is there any appreciable stopping time between going & coming back? Meaning are you visiting a friend or relative & could you potentially charge for 1-3+ hours while visiting & just reimburse said person for the power consumed?

The speeds you are talking about in context with the presumably year round weather should have you easily getting 210=240 miles of range on a full charge if not more if you go slower on the freeway to compensate & ProPilot makes all of that easier

Leftiebiker

Thanks for your comments, appreciated. Un the case of the Volt, last year thar was my first choice since I'ml have 50+ miles electric and about 45mpg on weekend trips. Problem is that I will have to connect an Inverter (no more than 400-500w) to the 12v battery, and only power fridge and couple of fans in case of an emergency event. With the Leaf and the bi-charger I can power the whole house since as you may know, Chademo is actually the only platform that handle bidirectional, and stated before, juicing the car every three or four days with the gen. That's to avoid using the gen twice day for 5-6 hours per session, like happenned to whole PR when hurricane Maria pass thru us, and let us 99% off.

Herdingelectrons

Appreciated your comments. Now and them weekend trips are only for getting the hell out of the house, to blow out week steam. So might be that stopping to munch something and going to restroom for about one hour at mid trip will have to be consider.

I can handle 60 instead of 65mph, sometimes also I go back of a truck and get benefited with his draft.

One question; Leaf does't have ways to control the regenerative braking like other brands, is only using e-pedal and brake pedal?

Rafaelcp09 said:
One question; Leaf does't have ways to control the regenerative braking like other brands, is only using e-pedal and brake pedal?
Taking the risk of assuming my preferences are typical of most, I'm going to say that regeneration is a Sam Gompers issue. The correct amount of regeneration is "more". In any particular driving situation, when you want less-than-maximum deceleration, just feather the e-pedal a smidge.

Dude, you are in puerto rico.... That has the worst electric grid.

Forget about an electric car.... Wait another 10 years until things catch up.

Even in the U.S., electric cars are a rarity. You do not want an EV in PR...

Powersurge

Yep!!! Grid is a real piece of crap, still since hurricane Maria.
Look for my first original post, you will know why I am thinking specifically in a Leaf with a Wallbox Quasar bidirectional charger.

Another thing!!!

On Leaf 24kwh and 30kwh you can see battery SOH by bars aside the bars of SAC. How you can see SOH in 40kwh/62kwh ? Or is guessing how much miles is giving on 100% charge time by time (year by year)?

Rafaelcp09 said:
Concern is in a weekend trip arriving on 90% with 180-195 miles and having 10% 15-25 miles and having to wait three hours in a 7.2k (28-30 miles/hour) charger to have enough juice for the way back.
If you are regularly driving 180+ miles, I'd not suggest a LEAF, not even a 62kW LEAF. Consider the following:

You really don't want to frequently go much below 20%. To avoid worry, and to avoid cycle wear on the battery. 226 EPA miles times 80% of the battery is 180 miles.

The battery will lose capacity with time. At warranty replacement, you might have something like a 150 mile range. Leave a 20% margin, as you really don't want to frequently go much below 20%, for two reasons. To avoid worry, and to reduce cycle wear on the battery. That leaves you with 120 EPA miles of range. Yes, in mild to hot conditions you can probably beat the EPA range... But not that much.

Rafaelcp09 said:
Another thing!!!

On Leaf 24kwh and 30kwh you can see battery SOH by bars aside the bars of SAC. How you can see SOH in 40kwh/62kwh ? Or is guessing how much miles is giving on 100% charge time by time (year by year)?

There is a cell phone-like bar-in-a-cylinder horizontal capacity gauge on one of the screens. It doesn't appear to be segmented into bars, because the segments aren't bordered by lines, but it is - 12 bars like the Gen I Leaf.

We have a SL+ with 62 kWh battery. We routinely do a 125 mile one way trip between houses in similar environment to you being we are in Florida. After driving the 125 miles between 55-60 MPH we arrive we show 80-90 miles or range remaining. So max distance at 55-60 MPH is about 200 miles or 180 miles with some comfortable reserve.

Around town we do much better. Probably get real range of 225 miles in city driving.

It’s the drag at highway speeds that kills range.

Those numbers are using the AC all the time.

Btw. Count on about 25 miles of range, not 30 miles, added per hour plugged into a L2 charger.

Back