Xelulo
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2019

eGolf vs. Leaf - experience?

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:26 am

I'm looking at a used EV purchase, and see both of these available. We had an eGolf at work and no question it's a great driving car. But there are a lot more Leafs out there, and Nissan has a very strong battery warranty.
Opinions from owners of either car?

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: eGolf vs. Leaf - experience?

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:27 am

The consensus seems to be that the eGolf is more a driver's car, with crisper handling, and that the Leaf is more comfortable, with heated steering wheel available as well. The eGolf is sportier, the Leaf has easier entry/exit access. That's the extent of my knowledge of the VW.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

joeriv

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:50 am

2017 Leaf S with QC, JUN mfg date

salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:56 pm

Might be worth to ask on the egolf side too http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7&start=70 I was just looking at their batteries over there.

frontrangeleaf
Delivery Date: 08 Jul 2019

Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:49 pm

We also own a GTI - the turbo "hot hatch" version of the Golf (my 50th b-day present to me, now our son's car). In that guise, definitely sportier than any Leaf. Also not so very comfortable, frankly, due to very stiff sport suspension. You feel every expansion joint on the highway. But it's absolutely gleeful. Lot of fun to drive. Arguably the best hot hatch overall, still.

That said, the standard Golf is not that different from a Leaf. Suspension toned down - a lot. Smaller wheels with taller sidewalls = smoother ride too. Nothing like the power off the line. I think the comparisons exaggerate the differences a bit. Our Leaf with the stronger motor and bigger battery, is plenty sporty too. At least for this segment.

Depends on what you mean by "sporty," I guess. Drive them both. If you can get into the Leaf plus for the right price, drive that model too. Steering is too light, otherwise it's a fine driver. I feel the Leaf gets short shrift from the auto press. Once we work through the factory energy saver all-seasons, we'll be putting stickier tires on the Leaf. Then we'll see how it drives.
Empty-nesters - NW Denver-Boulder Area

2019 Leaf SL Plus
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si
2012 VW GTI

salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:35 pm

Great info! Yea I figure out plus with the more powerful motor would certainly have a faster 0-60 time though perhaps not the steering. How was the trunk room? Looking at a bolt the room in the back hatch did not work for us putting aside the lack of other comforts. The Leaf is no high end sports car but in this segment I think it is a good car if one does not live in Arizona or death valley or some other hot climate and even then we have not seen how the plus will deteriorate there yet. Compared to a prius for example I do find the Leaf seats in the front feel smaller. I also hate the bump in the floor in the rear which no other car I have had like a honda hatchback or a prius has had. Does the Golf have that rear bump?

LeftieBiker

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:24 pm

Do you mean the black boxlike structure in the cargo area? That's only there with the Bose stereo in the SL, now. Or do you mean the boxlike structure just behind and between the front seats?
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:34 pm

^^^
Or maybe he's talking about the hump for a tunnel in the rear seating area, which affects the person sitting in the middle position of the rear seat?

Bolt doesn't have that. Floor for rear seat passengers is flat.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm

frontrangeleaf wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:49 pm
Depends on what you mean by "sporty," I guess. Drive them both. If you can get into the Leaf plus for the right price, drive that model too. Steering is too light, otherwise it's a fine driver. I feel the Leaf gets short shrift from the auto press. Once we work through the factory energy saver all-seasons, we'll be putting stickier tires on the Leaf. Then we'll see how it drives.
I just replaced the Michelin OEM Energy Saver A/S tires (if you can call them tires). I did not rotate them because I did not wish to prolong their life so the fronts were down to the wear bars at 15,000 miles. The rears were in good shape so I received $40 per tire credit. The 2019 has had a weird pull of the steering wheel side-to-side, back and forth when accelerating ever since new which I never experienced with the previous LEAFs or any other car (pull to one side with FWD and unequal length drive shafts is normal, but not back and forth). The equal drive shaft lengths on the LEAF generally minimize FWD steering pull so I was considering going to the dealer for suspension inspection. I put Bridgestone Driveguards on because I can afford the range loss that I expect and I want the security of run-flat capability. The car is completely different--the side-to-side pull on the steering wheel is gone, the tires are quieter, and the ride is both smoother and more controlled. Also, the steering doesn't feel so overly light with the heavier tires--much better feel. I went with 215/55 R17 instead of the standard 215/50 R17 size to get the slightly taller sidewall, but would not recommend it if you need to use snow chains. I agree the auto press seems to dislike the LEAF. The weight distribution of the LEAF is ideal so good tires make significant improvements to twisty road handling.

I have never driven an eGolf, but the diesel engine ones I have driven in Europe had very firm suspension.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

LeftieBiker

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:37 pm

I drove an eGulf for a short distance, quite a few years ago. It seemed nice enough, but between the slightly small (for me) interior and no heated steering wheel, I just wasn't interested.
BAFX OBDII Dongle

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”