Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: DIY 12v Battery Change

Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:19 pm

lorenfb wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:29 am
LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:54 am
It's sound advice to disconnect the negative cable first in negative ground vehicles.
For some that typically use the wrong tool for the application! Also not helpful for those that can't correctly identify the negative terminal.
You have to remove one of the terminals first. Why not choose the one that reduces risk? In the rare case that someone can't identify the terminals they're no worse off for the recommendation.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:02 am

This has become a circus.....

All you people arguing whether to remove a + or a - first !!!!!

Get a grip and move on!!! Looks like too many people do not have enough to do during National Lock Down Days...

This is why I often question whether to leave any posts on this site or not.

My Prediction: Someone will attack me for this post of "sanity"...

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:22 am

Are you asking us to vote...?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Lothsahn
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:52 am

powersurge wrote:
This has become a circus.....

All you people arguing whether to remove a + or a - first !!!!!

Get a grip and move on!!! Looks like too many people do not have enough to do during National Lock Down Days...

This is why I often question whether to leave any posts on this site or not.

People are arguing because there's a safety issue involved with the order of the terminals and the OP is a newbie asking for advice. Warning an inexperienced person of a potential safety issue is something that, reasonably, kind people take seriously--especially if the original instructions posted by the newbie are unsafe.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

NewcastleFalcon
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2019

Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:00 am

Thanks for the replies.

The procedures as reported in my post are straight from the horses mouth of the Nissan Leaf Service and Repair Manual. The procedure is straightforward and I will be following it.

My concern was to get some practical info from others of their experience of the potential effects of the disconnection, albeit a very brief disconnection, when swaping the old battery for a new one. So far no real scare story has emerged, regarding the list of items mentioned in the manual at PG86 requiring "special repair requirements" when removing 12V battery Negative terminal. My Nissan Leaf has the heat pump so I just pulled out the elements relating to this in the Heater/Air conditioning control system section below.

Any further contributions welcome.

To recap.
NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:02 pm
Reset electronic systems as necessary. Refer to PG-86, "Special Repair Requirement"
So I wonder what PG86 has in store......this together with links to other sections of the manual with detailed procedures for the items mentioned.
ADDITIONAL SERVICE WHEN REMOVING 12V BATTERY NEGATIVE TERMINAL
Special Repair Requirement

EV Control System
VCM Timer Adjustment
Power Window Control System
Power Window System Initialization
Heater & Air Conditioning Control System
Temperature Setting Trimmer
Inlet Port Memory Function (REC)
Inlet Port Memory Function (FRE)
Foot Position Setting Trimmer
Compressor Operation Setting at Defroster Mode (Timer/Remote/Climate Control)
Setting of Compressor Maximum Rotation Speed During Pre Air Conditioning
Setting of Compressor Maximum Rotation Speed During Idling
Audio, Visual & Navigation System
Audio (Radio Preset)
Navigation System
REgards Neil

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:49 am

powersurge wrote:
Nobody will attack you unless you say something so eminently stupid that it puts someone else in danger of damaging their vehicle or hurting themselves, then passive-aggressively double down on the stupidity.

Now that is an ad hominem attack lorenfb can take to the bank with my blessing.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 86,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:29 pm

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

The procedures as reported in my post are straight from the horses mouth of the Nissan Leaf Service and Repair Manual. The procedure is straightforward and I will be following it.

My concern was to get some practical info from others of their experience of the potential effects of the disconnection, albeit a very brief disconnection, when swaping the old battery for a new one. So far no real scare story has emerged, regarding the list of items mentioned in the manual at PG86 requiring "special repair requirements" when removing 12V battery Negative terminal. My Nissan Leaf has the heat pump so I just pulled out the elements relating to this in the Heater/Air conditioning control system section below.

To recap.
NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Reset electronic systems as necessary. Refer to PG-86, "Special Repair Requirement"
So I wonder what PG86 has in store......this together with links to other sections of the manual with detailed procedures for the items mentioned.
ADDITIONAL SERVICE WHEN REMOVING 12V BATTERY NEGATIVE TERMINAL
Special Repair Requirement

EV Control System
VCM Timer Adjustment--You will just need to reprogram and activate your charge timers and climate control timers.
Power Window Control System
Power Window System Initialization--You will just need to initialize the auto down/auto up feature as described in my earlier post.
Heater & Air Conditioning Control System--HVAC settings may all revert to factory defaults (depending upon length of time battery is disconnected) so you may need to set them back to your preferences. The damper position sensors will be automatically recalibrated as the system cycles through its initialization.
Temperature Setting Trimmer
Inlet Port Memory Function (REC)
Inlet Port Memory Function (FRE)
Foot Position Setting Trimmer
Compressor Operation Setting at Defroster Mode (Timer/Remote/Climate Control)--Setting requires Consult 3+ to change from default.
Setting of Compressor Maximum Rotation Speed During Pre Air Conditioning--Setting requires Consult 3+ to change from default.
Setting of Compressor Maximum Rotation Speed During Idling--Setting requires Consult 3+ to change from default.
Audio, Visual & Navigation System
Audio (Radio Preset)--You may need to reprogram presets if battery is disconnected too long.
Navigation System--You may need to resave programmed locations and settings such as home, work, recent destinations, display formats, and display colors.
REgards Neil
Neil,

I added comments/explanation after each item in bold. One item not mentioned is the steering wheel position sensor which is used for the tracking lines on the camera display (and probably also with the Propilot system, if equipped). Turning the steering wheel to full lock in each direction a couple of times with the car in ready mode should recalibrate the sensor. There is little risk of the DC-DC converter turning on while you are changing the battery because the main contactor requires 12 volt power from the battery to close its contacts so it will not close after the first cable is disconnected. For safety sake (as others have already mentioned), disconnect the negative terminal first and reconnect it last.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

NewcastleFalcon
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2019

Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:31 am

Thanks Gerry excellent post.

Regards Neil

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:39 am

GerryAZ wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:29 pm
NewcastleFalcon wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

To recap.
NewcastleFalcon wrote:

REgards Neil
Neil,

I added comments/explanation after each item in bold. One item not mentioned is the steering wheel position sensor which is used for the tracking lines on the camera display (and probably also with the Propilot system, if equipped). Turning the steering wheel to full lock in each direction a couple of times with the car in ready mode should recalibrate the sensor. There is little risk of the DC-DC converter turning on while you are changing the battery because the main contactor requires 12 volt power from the battery to close its contacts so it will not close after the first cable is disconnected. For safety sake (as others have already mentioned), disconnect the negative terminal first and reconnect it last.
Given all the additional efforts/procedures required, the result of a disconnected 12V power source, one might consider the earlier post;

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php? ... 54#p582055

Furthermore, without having access to a diagnostic tool, Nissan Consult II or LeafSpy, losing the 12V system voltage could result
in a trip to a Nissan dealer.
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 76K miles, 47 Ahrs, 5.0 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=73, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 10.3K miles, SOH 109Ahrs/115Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:16 am

There is no need for Consult 3+ unless the HVAC compressor settings have been changed from factory defaults (unlikely unless someone paid a dealer to do it for improved cooling while stopped). I recommend against connecting a booster battery to the terminals while replacing the battery.

I did have those settings changed to maximum compressor speed/performance on my 2015, but I have not found the description of those settings in the service manual for the 2019 (software and structure of manual has been changed so it is difficult to find detailed information and requires changes to computer settings--no longer PDF files). If I find the settings in the manual, I will wait to see how the A/C works in June here in Phoenix before deciding if I want to change them.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”