Lupus
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2020

Re: Looking for Leaf; lost out on 2 attempts

Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Before it is suggested, I'm seeing red flags on this one: very high mileage and the car fax shows the dealership replaced tires several times, the wheel hubs, and an oil change :?: . Not sure how they changed the oil on a leaf...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:17 pm

The mileage is "a bit high" for a Leaf, not "very high." There are Leafs with 100,000+ miles on them. The price reflects the mileage. I'd look at the battery capacity, and as you noted, look for suspension or alignment issues. It has Premium Package and it will have QC. The 2015 has the best battery Nissan ever made, so unless it lived in a Hot climate or was badly abused, it may have good remaining capacity.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Lupus

Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:39 pm

I just found a 2016 CPO with a remaining warranty and QC. Going to see it Wednesday. Hopefully this will be it. Crossing my fingers.

LeftieBiker

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:31 pm

Lupus wrote:
I just found a 2016 CPO with a remaining warranty and QC. Going to see it Wednesday. Hopefully this will be it. Crossing my fingers.
Remember that if it's an S it could be either a 24kwh pack or a 30kwh pack. Look for a "B" in the VIN, if you want 30kwh. The SV and SL all had 30kwh packs in 2016. LeafSpy would be helpful, as some of the 30kwh packs have bad cells, but that is covered under warranty as long as they are bad enough to trigger error codes. Good luck.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Lupus

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:52 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:31 pm
Lupus wrote:
Remember that if it's an S it could be either a 24kwh pack or a 30kwh pack. Look for a "B" in the VIN, if you want 30kwh. The SV and SL all had 30kwh packs in 2016. LeafSpy would be helpful, as some of the 30kwh packs have bad cells, but that is covered under warranty as long as they are bad enough to trigger error codes. Good luck.
It is a 30Kwh pack and is an SV. I don't have a compatible OBDii yet to use LeafSpy (waiting to spend the money on one until I actually have a car), but it has a good guarantee and I'll ask about that. I'll bring up concerns about the bad cells in 2016 - if nothing else it's a good point for haggling.

LeftieBiker

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:34 pm

The only way to spot bad cells without LeafSpy is to look for range that is much less than it should be given the capacity bar count (this is also how you spot a BMS reset) and especially for the car to experience a sudden large drop in estimated range as the charge gets low - sometimes with a sudden, unexpected drop into reduced power mode or even into the barely-crawling "Turtle mode." That is due to the bad cells triggering the low voltage protection mode of the BMS before most of the cells are low on charge.
BAFX OBDII Dongle

Lupus

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:24 am

Well I've learned a lot and am still a fan of the Leaf, but I will remain a spectator for now.

I spent $60 and several hours yesterday getting everything arranged and was going to pick up a car this morning. Bad dealership lied to me repeatedly and was insulting in the financing. Wanted far over blue book values even after negotiating. Was already at high end of my budget and the dishonesty was the last straw. I made sure they know why they lost the sale. They had the gall to insist that the car was priced well just not for *my* budget. I was already going in knowing it was overpriced and figured they have to make a living too. But lying about simple things is a huge red flag.

I'm giving up on getting a car for a while. Prices have gotten too high so I need to wait for more to come off-lease or something.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:42 am

Patience is key. You need to do all your research well in advance and it sounds like that is done. Now that you know what a good deal looks like you will be able to spot one when it comes along.

There are a lot of Leafs around here and I watch the local CL all the time just to keep track of the market. The good deals usually disappear in a day or two so it's imperative to be ready to act when they come up.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:28 pm

Dealers like to change the terms of the deal whenever they want.

I once went to a Nissan Dealer on a used Leaf. The price was good and I said I would take it...

When I told them I would pay cash for it, they suddenly raised the price by $1000 "surcharge" because I was not financing it...

Buying a car, even a used one is such a hard process.

I am following craigslist DAILY for a car for my son in college. They are mostly all junk cars or from shady used junk "dealers" out of a gas station. Good cars that are owned and sold by the original owners are rare, and are sold the day I see the ads!!!!! BUMMER!!

I almost rather buy new because you know that all the cars will be the same, and the only difference will be the price...

Lupus

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:32 pm

powersurge wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:28 pm
I am following craigslist DAILY for a car for my son in college. They are mostly all junk cars or from shady used junk "dealers" out of a gas station. Good cars that are owned and sold by the original owners are rare, and are sold the day I see the ads!!!!! BUMMER!!
I actually found a good one on CL as a private seller but unfortunately I don't have that kind of cash and my credit union doesn't do private seller loans.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”