2012 Leaf Battery Replacement Advice?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggny3

Hello! I have a 2012 Leaf with a badly degraded out-of-warranty battery that needs replacement. Our local Nissan dealer quoted $4800 for a battery replacement. This seems reasonable, given what I've read, but I want to make sure I'm not missing any better possible options (third-party batteries? higher than 24kwh batteries?). Also, are there any questions I should be asking the dealer that I might not be thinking of.

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like a good deal if 24kWh is OK for you. Other options are to source a used battery from a wrecked Leaf and have it installed. It's been done on just about any combination but some combinations are easier than others. It's not a small job and unless you're willing to DIY all yourself, it would be more than $4800. Costs are probably all over the map as are the shops to do the work.

I'd ask the dealer if the battery comes with a capacity or defect warranty. Otherwise, 'how soon can you finish?' :mrgreen:

Be aware that the 2011 and 2012 models need some additional items to adapt to the replacement traction battery. They include a couple of brackets and a different underbody cover, if I remember correctly.

greggny3 said:
Hello! I have a 2012 Leaf with a badly degraded out-of-warranty battery that needs replacement. Our local Nissan dealer quoted $4800 for a battery replacement.
Just to be sure, what is "badly degraded"?

The most recent news was that battery replacements were $5500 again, so $4800 is a bargain by that measure. I'd make sure that price is the real bottom line.

Back