EVSE question.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonseo

Can the OEM 2018-2019 240v 30A EVSE Portable Charge Cable 120V/240V Part No.: 296M1-5SA0A be used on a 2012 Leaf? I found a good deal on one on eBay. I know the 2012’s have a 3.6kw OBC, will the car lower the input to 15A? Or is there possibility of damaging the car? Also, could I run that EVSE on a 20A breaker instead of 50A?

It can be used on any EV and the car determines current not the EVSE. Your cable requires a min 40A circuit nothing less.

If you have a 50 amp plug, it's supposed to be on a 50 amp breaker unless it's for welding equipment or a few other listed exceptions.
Plus 6 or 8 gauge wire wont fit in the terminal of most 20 amp breakers.

Jonseo said:
Can the OEM 2018-2019 240v 30A EVSE Portable Charge Cable 120V/240V Part No.: 296M1-5SA0A be used on a 2012 Leaf? I found a good deal on one on eBay. I know the 2012’s have a 3.6kw OBC, will the car lower the input to 15A? Or is there possibility of damaging the car? Also, could I run that EVSE on a 20A breaker instead of 50A?
On a '12 the car will draw a maximum of 16a @ 240v and 12a @ 120v, never more than that.

Jonseo said:
...will the car lower the input to 15A?

Yep. That's one of the main purposes of the J1772 standard -- so that EV owners don't have to worry about matching capacities of EVSE and cars. The EVSE and car work together so that the maximum safe charge rate is not exceeded in any given combination.

The installer of the EVSE of course has to make certain that the EVSE is matched to the appropriate wiring and the car is not a consideration here; installer must ensure wiring is capable of handling 125% of the EVSE's maximum rated current even if the owner has a car that consumes less. This ensures safety in case another more capable car is plugged in to that EVSE in the future, and any device that consumes high current for a long period of time is only allowed to draw 80% of the circuit's power rating.

Back