2013 Leaf SV Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen63

Hello,
I am trying to determine if I have a 3.6 Kw or 6.6Kw Charger on the 2013 SV I recently purchased, so to set up the appropriate sized level 2 charger at my home. Everything I read says the SV comes with the 6.6 as standard. However, when I look under the hood, I see only the one fat orange wire going to the charge port, and everything I read says a single wire is 3.3. Please help. Are there any models that only have one orange wire leading to a 6.6Kw port, or what’s up with this car? I have determined per the vin that it is indeed a 2013, and it seems it is indeed an SV because it has the B setting for the regenerative braking... Thanks so much!

The SV will also have alloy wheels - no hubcaps - and cruise control. The cruise control is the more reliable determining factor, as it isn't hard to swap wheels but AFAIK no one has swapped in the factory cruise control to an S, which came without it until about 2015. If it is an SV it does have the 6.6kw onboard charger.

The standard OBC is 3.6 kW, the charge package adds the 6.6 kW optional OBC:

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-698a9e429ae04602b683514427ca41ba-us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit#

alozzy said:
The standard OBC is 3.6 kW, the charge package adds the 6.6 kW optional OBC:

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-698a9e429ae04602b683514427ca41ba-us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit#

No. That refers to the S only. The SV has the 6.6kw OBC regardless of options. I drove one for 5 years. It had no QC but had the 6.6kw charger. Here is the relevant portion, from your link:

For 2013, LEAF SV and SL grades feature a new 6.6 kW onboard charger that reduces 220V charging time nearly in half to approximately 4 hours for a full charge. The system is optionally available on the LEAF S, which in standard form will utilize a 3.6 kW onboard charger. All LEAF models come with a standard portable trickle charge cable.

Leftie is correct but note you don't have to run 10G wiring and purchase a 6.6kw charger, if you're OK with slower charging you could just purchase a 3.6kw EVSE in which case you could get by with 12G wiring and a 20a 240v breaker.

Sorry Leftie, I misremembered the OBC breakdown. It's been awhile since I had to research all the spec details of a 2013 :)

My memory is fading, but since I did drive a 2013 SV for one of the longest leases in history, you can probably still take my word on those. I just have to remember that the automatic headlights (or at least the switch) that it had but that I never used weren't supposed to be there. ;)

Back