knightmb
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291

Re: Leaf swerves under acceleration and deceleration

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:37 am

Minus any real mechanical malfunction this is normal for any front wheel drive vehicle when you can't account for all the unlimited variables that can cause it to behave otherwise, ie. real world conditions. Try driving that way with the traction control off override, you'll notice a difference in non-perfect conditions very quickly.
2020 Leaf SL Plus - (Manufacture Date March 2020)
2013 Leaf SV (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles)

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:01 pm

I think there may be some misunderstandings when people talk that the power is evenly distributed.

Generally, yes, both front wheels pull together. You do not notice any slippage or swerving when both tires have close to the same amount of grip on the road. However, when one tire either accelerates too quickly, or hits a wet, or gravely patch, that wheel will spin. That is when it feels that the tire has lost traction. This does not mean that there is something wrong.

Normally, when you are starting out, driving, or slowing down, you should not feel any difference between the left/ right sides.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:25 am

knightmb wrote:
Minus any real mechanical malfunction this is normal for any front wheel drive vehicle when you can't account for all the unlimited variables that can cause it to behave otherwise, ie. real world conditions. Try driving that way with the traction control off override, you'll notice a difference in non-perfect conditions very quickly.
Torque steer does not explain a driver noticing a recent change where the vehicle is no longer tracking straight as it once did. And I can say with certainty that a LEAF does not inherently swerve right and then left as the throttle is applied and released. If it did, the NHTSA would probably be quite interested.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

GaleHawkins
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2019
Leaf Number: 311365

Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:45 am

Nubo wrote:
knightmb wrote:
Torque steer does not explain a driver noticing a recent change where the vehicle is no longer tracking straight as it once did. And I can say with certainty that a LEAF does not inherently swerve right and then left as the throttle is applied and released. If it did, the NHTSA would probably be quite interested.
I agree but that was an issue at first for me with our Leaf. Quickly I realized if I did not have the wheels straight ahead if I put the pedal to the metal (carpet) that the car was going to shoot to the right or left depending on the position of the steering wheel.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:51 am

GaleHawkins wrote:
Nubo wrote:
knightmb wrote:
I agree but that was an issue at first for me with our Leaf. Quickly I realized if I did not have the wheels straight ahead if I put the pedal to the metal (carpet) that the car was going to shoot to the right or left depending on the position of the steering wheel.

Torque steer is usually the result of one drive axle being longer/shorter than the other one. It causes the car to pull always in the same direction. It may not seem that way (if the wheel is turned the opposite way to the torque steer, the pull is weaker on that side than it otherwise would be), but that's what happens. So pulling that switches sides isn't torque steer. That's how I understand it, anyway...
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:51 pm

This seems to happen all the time... A first time poster poses a vague mechanical symptom, and we all go nuts trying to diagnose it.

The poster should take the car to a mechanic because if severe enough, there can be a safety issue...

You do not have to take the car to Nissan. Take is to any good mechanic or transmission or suspension place.

Do not try to use serendipity or try to channel what the problem might be..

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:23 pm

GaleHawkins wrote:
Nubo wrote:
knightmb wrote:
Yes, that is torque steer, when the wheels are turned.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

jjlonsdale
Delivery Date: 01 Nov 2013

Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:58 am

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, very helpful and much appreciated. I've had the Leaf for 5 years and 43000 miles FYI, and it's been great. The issue instability issue has developed over the few months. I don't think I used the right term when I said torque steer, sorry for the distraction. It's more like a minor swerve as the power goes on but a little more pronounced as you take your foot off the accelerator. I spoke to my local garage, who I trust (not the main dealer). As the wheels have been aligned a few days ago, there are new tyres all round, the brakes are fine and an issue with the differential is deemed unlikely, the car is now booked in to thoroughly re-check the suspension next week. I'm hoping that proves to be where the issue is. I will report back.

Best,

John

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:23 pm

It might even be a brake caliper that's sticky, if it pulls to the same side consistently. More likely though are worn out suspension components.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Josephleaf
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2020

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:20 pm

Yes I had the same problem on my 2014 leaf with 45K on. I had the tracking checked on several occasions & it was out & when put correct again and after driving vehicle for a mile, it was all totally out again. To cut a long story short after being to Nissan garages I had a 'proper' trustworthy & time served mechanic look at it (not a Nissan technician who could not find any faults). It needed two new wishbones on front, a new suspension strut & a new shock absorber and lastly tracking again before it solved the issue.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”