Leaf swerves under acceleration and deceleration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjlonsdale

Hi,

I have a 2013 Nissan Leaf with 48k miles on the clock. Recently, when I accelerate fairly hard the car steers slightly right, when I take my foot off the accelerator there is a small swerve to the left. It's unnerving and I'd like to fix it. Does anyone know what's causing this?

The car has been regularly serviced at the Nissan dealers. Track rod ends have been replaced, there are new tyres tracked and balanced. It's just passed its MOT and there are no problems with the suspension.

I've heard the problem described as torque steer, but I'm not sure if that's right. Is it possible there is a differential type problem, that power to the two front wheels is not the same?

BEFORE the car goes to the main dealers (who I don't like very much), can anyone give me a diagnosis please...

Best,

John

Check the suspension again particularly the left side. Pay attention to the rubber bushings and upper strut area. You can't see the top of the strut tower from the engine bay without some disassembly.

My leaf did the exact same thing when I bought it. I got new tires (because they had poor traction). The car was found to be out of alignment when we put the new tires on. After the new tires and alignment, the problem is completely gone.

Given you appear to have checked all of those things, I don't know the cause of your problem, but I did want to say that this is not the normal behavior of a properly functioning Leaf.

Something is causing a difference in friction or tire drag.

1. Check the tire pressures. A low right side tire could cause this response.

2. Check Alignment. Just because a shop says they adjusted it, doesn't mean they did it correctly.

Lothsahn said:
My leaf did the exact same thing when I bought it. I got new tires (because they had poor traction). The car was found to be out of alignment when we put the new tires on. After the new tires and alignment, the problem is completely gone.

Given you appear to have checked all of those things, I don't know the cause of your problem, but I did want to say that this is not the normal behavior of a properly functioning Leaf.

Agreed. I've had pulling problems 3 times in various cars over the years and in my experience "Torque steer" is what shops trot out when they're unwilling or simply incapable of determining actual problem. When a car that's never pulled suddenly starts pulling, it's not f'ing torque steer!

In my cases, I ended up having to fix the problems myself. They were all different causes. None of them were "torque steer". Start questioning the assumptions that have been made. First up would be "there are no suspension problems". Lift each corner and check for play by rocking tires from side-to-side and then top-to-bottom to check for play. If it seems ok I'd consider getting an alignment from an independent shop and have the suspension checked by a professional. Walk away from anyone who mentions torque steer. Also check the tires. Measure the diameter of each one. Check the markings to verify they are identical specs. One of my pulling problems came from a replacement tire that was 5% different profile from the others.

All fwd cars do it, you just don't notice it on little 4 bangers that only briefly peak at around 100ft•lb of torque.

First thing is don't go to the dealer.

Does it pull when you hit the brakes when the car has a full charge and isn't doing regen?

Do the things you can do that don't cost money. Make sure the 2 front tires are the same, have plenty of tread and have matching air pressure.
My torque steer was the worse this summer when I had almost warn out ecopa tires with 70,000 miles on the front.
With all new lrr tires it's barley noticeable.

If the car has never had an alignment it probably needs one, start there when you start spending money.

The open differential by design sends the torque to the wheel that turns the easiest.

Hmm, I haven't experienced this.

To check the operation of the front differential, with the car in P and the parking brake on, lift both front wheels off the ground and rotate one by hand. There should be little resistance and the other wheel should rotate smoothly in the opposite direction.

Contrary to popular belief that an open differential only powers one wheel, it actually sends exactly the same torque to both wheels at all times. It's just that if one has less traction than the other, that one will slip and the other one won't.

I also wonder if you could have a dragging brake--a caliper that isn't floating properly on its pins. You can also check for this by lifting one front wheel off the ground at a time. You should be able to rotate it by hand back and forth just a little against the freeplay of the drivetrain. If it doesn't move at all, or is difficult, that caliper may need freeing.

This original poster has posted his 1st entry on this site, and his first entry is of a big complaint.... First, how long has the poster owned the car??? Is he new to the Leaf?

Secondly, this cannot be a "front-wheel drive torque steer issue". Front wheel drive cars have been around for 40 years. The early ones like the Plymouth horizon/ Dodge Omni had an over-steer problem. This has been resolved as most cars are front-wheel drive, without this torque issue.

They should not be asking people on a forum for a "diagnosis".. If the poster just got the car, he should take it to the dealer for a look. Also, he should take a new Leaf for a test drive. This may be a new EV driver who needs to be aware of his expectations... It can happen that if he floors the accelerator, the car may not track smoothly straight.

I would not encourage trying to give this poster possible reasons for him/ her to worry more because the car may be perfectly fine.

PrairieLEAF said:
Hmm, I haven't experienced this.

To check the operation of the front differential, with the car in P and the parking brake on, lift both front wheels off the ground and rotate one by hand. There should be little resistance and the other wheel should rotate smoothly in the opposite direction.

Contrary to popular belief that an open differential only powers one wheel, it actually sends exactly the same torque to both wheels at all times. It's just that if one has less traction than the other, that one will slip and the other one won't.

Thanks for stating that the same torque goes to both wheels at the same time. I know the day I unloaded our 2016 Leaf that it would spin and make two holes in the same time in our lime stone driveway. Taking off on wet pavement at WOT I can get it to spin one wheel but the traction light comes on and it will soon start pulling with both wheels. My objective was to see if I had any lost of control when doing this.

The car has always kept moving straight with no pulling or drifting to the right or left. This testing was done with the worn OEM tires and new NEXEN N PRIZ AH8 which I do like their traction and handling but cost $290 less than going back OEM Michelin.

Minus any real mechanical malfunction this is normal for any front wheel drive vehicle when you can't account for all the unlimited variables that can cause it to behave otherwise, ie. real world conditions. Try driving that way with the traction control off override, you'll notice a difference in non-perfect conditions very quickly.

I think there may be some misunderstandings when people talk that the power is evenly distributed.

Generally, yes, both front wheels pull together. You do not notice any slippage or swerving when both tires have close to the same amount of grip on the road. However, when one tire either accelerates too quickly, or hits a wet, or gravely patch, that wheel will spin. That is when it feels that the tire has lost traction. This does not mean that there is something wrong.

Normally, when you are starting out, driving, or slowing down, you should not feel any difference between the left/ right sides.

knightmb said:
Minus any real mechanical malfunction this is normal for any front wheel drive vehicle when you can't account for all the unlimited variables that can cause it to behave otherwise, ie. real world conditions. Try driving that way with the traction control off override, you'll notice a difference in non-perfect conditions very quickly.

Torque steer does not explain a driver noticing a recent change where the vehicle is no longer tracking straight as it once did. And I can say with certainty that a LEAF does not inherently swerve right and then left as the throttle is applied and released. If it did, the NHTSA would probably be quite interested.

Nubo said:
knightmb said:

Torque steer does not explain a driver noticing a recent change where the vehicle is no longer tracking straight as it once did. And I can say with certainty that a LEAF does not inherently swerve right and then left as the throttle is applied and released. If it did, the NHTSA would probably be quite interested.

I agree but that was an issue at first for me with our Leaf. Quickly I realized if I did not have the wheels straight ahead if I put the pedal to the metal (carpet) that the car was going to shoot to the right or left depending on the position of the steering wheel.

GaleHawkins said:
Nubo said:
knightmb said:

I agree but that was an issue at first for me with our Leaf. Quickly I realized if I did not have the wheels straight ahead if I put the pedal to the metal (carpet) that the car was going to shoot to the right or left depending on the position of the steering wheel.

Torque steer is usually the result of one drive axle being longer/shorter than the other one. It causes the car to pull always in the same direction. It may not seem that way (if the wheel is turned the opposite way to the torque steer, the pull is weaker on that side than it otherwise would be), but that's what happens. So pulling that switches sides isn't torque steer. That's how I understand it, anyway...

This seems to happen all the time... A first time poster poses a vague mechanical symptom, and we all go nuts trying to diagnose it.

The poster should take the car to a mechanic because if severe enough, there can be a safety issue...

You do not have to take the car to Nissan. Take is to any good mechanic or transmission or suspension place.

Do not try to use serendipity or try to channel what the problem might be..

GaleHawkins said:
Nubo said:
knightmb said:

Yes, that is torque steer, when the wheels are turned.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, very helpful and much appreciated. I've had the Leaf for 5 years and 43000 miles FYI, and it's been great. The issue instability issue has developed over the few months. I don't think I used the right term when I said torque steer, sorry for the distraction. It's more like a minor swerve as the power goes on but a little more pronounced as you take your foot off the accelerator. I spoke to my local garage, who I trust (not the main dealer). As the wheels have been aligned a few days ago, there are new tyres all round, the brakes are fine and an issue with the differential is deemed unlikely, the car is now booked in to thoroughly re-check the suspension next week. I'm hoping that proves to be where the issue is. I will report back.

Best,

John

It might even be a brake caliper that's sticky, if it pulls to the same side consistently. More likely though are worn out suspension components.

Yes I had the same problem on my 2014 leaf with 45K on. I had the tracking checked on several occasions & it was out & when put correct again and after driving vehicle for a mile, it was all totally out again. To cut a long story short after being to Nissan garages I had a 'proper' trustworthy & time served mechanic look at it (not a Nissan technician who could not find any faults). It needed two new wishbones on front, a new suspension strut & a new shock absorber and lastly tracking again before it solved the issue.

Back