2015 S purchase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thungar77

Hey, y'all!
I'm in Atlanta and went to check out a 2015 S at a Ford dealership today.
It seemed like it was in really nice shape, but I was hoping to get some feedback from here in terms of the battery.
6OvUTj.jpg

It's listed for $7500 and has a clean Carfax report.
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=1N4AZ0CP4FC303461&partner=FRD_2

It seems like a good price on a nice Leaf with plenty of life left.
Am I missing any red flags?
Many thanks!

Cheers!

It has 90% of the original capacity left, as indicated by the SOH number. It would be more suspicious if it were reading near 100% SOH. Nothing is certain in life, but that looks like a good battery. You may want to post the voltage graph as well, so we can look for weak cells.

+1. Unless the battery has been 'reset' - making the SOH bogus - that looks like a very good deal. Does the current range meet your needs? How much battery range loss could you tolerate before it no longer was usable for you?

Thanks Leftiebiker and Goldbrick!

Is this the voltage graph?
Fw8r6E.jpg

In terms of range, I rarely drive more than 100 miles in a week, so I think I could lose over half the range before I'd need a replacement.

Most of the other 2015's I've seen with similar mileage have already lost a bar and have SOH in the low 80's/high 70's. So this one jumped out at me. In fact I saw a 2015 earlier in the week with half the mileage and a SOH of 84.44%.

I appreciate all your experience and time.

That's it. it shows the voltages for all the individual cell pairs. If one or more were very much lower than the rest (near the bottom of the graph) that would indicate weak or bad cells. The above just shows a pack in need of a full charge to equalize the cells more.

Just keep in mind that if you do not do your own repairs, your only options in atlanta are lithia springs or newnan. No other nissan dealers within driving distance of a 2015 leaf will touch it. Mine has been at the newnan dealer since august, and they still have not properly diagnosed the problem with it not charging. The reason I took it there instead of lithia springs was that I was told the lithia springs dealer was completely backed up on repairs.

Leftiebiker - Many thanks!

Gametech - That's discouraging. My understanding was that repairs and maintenance are minimal, but that sounds catastrophic. I don't imagine there are any DIY repair manuals for the Leaf? I don't know if this is a viable option, but Service King in Decatur put my previous Leaf back together after a significant front end accident and it ran like a champ.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences. It has been truly helpful. Hopefully I'll be back next week with a (new to me) Leaf.

Cheers!

I'd say in general Leaf's are pretty reliable so repairs should be minimal. However, if something does break, new parts from the dealer can be very expensive.

There are now Leaf's being salvaged so used replacement parts are available if you are able to do the work yourself. There probably aren't many pro mechanics who are experienced with doing major Leaf repairs but there are a lot of EV enthusiasts out there who have just about anything that could be done to a Leaf and many of them are happy to share their expertise.

I do nearly all my own ICE car repairs and maintenance and I'm hoping I'll never have to do anything to my Leaf. If something does break, I might re-evaluate that, but after 2+ years, all I've had to do is fill the windshield washer fluid and replace the cabin air filter. I've done a few other mods like a self-dimming mirror and lighted window switches but that's it.

If you know anyone who is mechanically inclined, I would not let the dealership issue be too discouraging. The only reason I involved the dealership is because I still had two weeks left on the high voltage charging system warranty. I did not know I would be dealing with someone who tries to blame every other part of the car, and still has not even really checked what are likely the relevant charging system parts.

You do not have to worry about repairs.... Any repairs of the car body or suspension, brakes, can be done by any mechanic in your area.

The only difficulty comes when there is a "electric drive" fault that Nissan must diagnose, but odds are you will never have to worry about this..

Battery statistics from Leaf Spy look good for age and mileage. Since there are 0 quick charges shown by Leaf Spy, I suspect it does not have the quick charge package. If so, the onboard charger is only 3.3 kW so it will take longer to charge than cars with the 6 kW charger and QC port. This may be why the price is lower than other 2015's in your area. The slower onboard charger and lack of QC port is fine as long as it meets your needs. Based upon delivery date it is an early 2015.

Back