Future Leaf owner?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxutraly

Hello everyone,

I'm Laxu, 37, from Brussels in Belgium, and I'm on the market for an electric car, as I think it would be perfect for the urban trips that make up most of my driving time.
The Nissan Leaf is one of the potential candidates, so I've decided to create an account here in order to read what you guys are thinking about your cars, what the little tricks to keep it rolling are, and how to maintain it in general. I'm lurking/participating on a couple of other electric car-related forums as well, because I'd like to buy the car in spring (after the yearly taxes) and I have the time to read up and make my choice.

I hope that you guys will manage to "sell" me the Leaf!

Have a nice day.

Here is a short answer from an elderly, retired, electrical engineer:

My wife hated my Kia Soul (2010 Exclaim) and I thought an electric car would be interesting so I traded it in on a new 2018 Leaf S (Charge Package, All Weather Package, Protection Package, Carpeted floor mat and cargo area mat). After the power company rebates, Nissan deals, trade in, federal and state tax credits, it cost me about $12,000. I would not have paid much more for the car. My wife loves it. I think it is a very nice car but it doesn't look as good as the Kia Soul.
I have a 40 amp, 240V electrical outlet in the garage where the car is kept. I charge it once a week at night...full charge.
I drive it occasionally and use E-pedal. My wife drives it most of the time and uses the default D mode.
We have had it one year and paid for tire rotation...that is it! The Nissan dealer is only a few miles from my home.

I don't mean to be offensive, but honestly people who need to be spoon-fed aren't good candidates for EV ownership at this stage of product evolution.

There is a lot of great information already on the forum. Do some time reading and researching and then make an informed decision.

Regards.

Nubo said:
I don't mean to be offensive, but honestly people who need to be spoon-fed aren't good candidates for EV ownership at this stage of product evolution.

There is a lot of great information already on the forum. Do some time reading and researching and then make an informed decision.

Regards.
It is easier to ask a question than pour through hundreds of relatively unorganized posts, most of which discuss older model year Leafs.

Bouldergramp said:
Nubo said:

Regards.
It is easier to ask a question than pour through hundreds of relatively unorganized posts...

It surely is.

Bouldergramp said:
I think it is a very nice car but it doesn't look as good as the Kia Soul.
The first generation Leaf was kind of goofy looking, but so is the Kia Soul. Appearance wise, I'd take the 2018-19 Leaf over either of them.

Someone (Not It!!!) should write a FAQ-like thing listing the pros and cons of leasing or buying a Leaf. I did one on buying vs leasing, but that isn't really what's needed here. The super-short version:

PROS:

* The Leaf is very comfortable, with many standard and available features.

* The 2018+ Leaf is quite "normal" looking, as opposed to the polarizing looks of the Gen 1/1.5.

* Between the 24kwh, 30kwh, 40kwh and 62kwh versions, there is a Leaf suitable for most driving needs.

* The 40 and 62kwh Leaf 2 have very good acceleration. Not Tesla-like, but quite adequate. The Gen I Leaf has very good acceleration up to about 40MPH.

CONS:

* The Leaf has no thermal management for the battery, other than a small battery warmer that only keeps the battery from damage in frigid weather.

* The 2018+ Leafs are not good cars for 200+ mile trips, as they don't quick charge well or fast.

* The Leaf has handling that is more Camry-like than Tesla-like.

* Earlier Leafs have batteries that degrade either quickly or at least noticeably. The 40kwh Leaf degrades about 5-8% a year. The 62kwh Leaf remains an unknown quantity in this regard.

Feel free to add to this list.

You are in the best possible location to have one if you were to need after market support.

Not sure I agree with this Con:

* The 2018+ Leafs are not good cars for 200+ mile trips, as they don't quick charge well or fast.

We travel often enough and charge as we go, the Leaf Plus seems to take a good chademo charge to 80 % in the time it takes to have coffee and a bite, or for free at Nissan dealers (where we can ogle the massive land yachts that people are shopping for, all boasting mid-twenties MPG). We have seen 100 amps, mostly less but still acceptable.

dmacarthur said:
Not sure I agree with this Con:

We travel often enough and charge as we go, the Leaf Plus seems to take a good chademo charge to 80 % in the time it takes to have coffee and a bite, or for free at Nissan dealers (where we can ogle the massive land yachts that people are shopping for, all boasting mid-twenties MPG). We have seen 100 amps, mostly less but still acceptable.

Have you fast charged in warmer weather?

laxutraly said:
Hello everyone,

I'm Laxu, 37, from Brussels in Belgium, and I'm on the market for an electric car, as I think it would be perfect for the urban trips that make up most of my driving time.

The Leaf is a very nice urban car.

The Leaf is fairly economical to purchase.

The Leaf is low maintenance and reliable.

The Leaf is a reasonably safe car.

Brussels, Belgium is a moderate climate, so TMS or Thermal Management Systems are probably less than useful. Electric cars have fewer fires than gasoline cars, but a TMS raises the risk of fire by having water close to the battery cells. Leafs have had zero battery fires to date, compare with Tesla... or for that matter there has been at least one Audi Etron fire.

The Leaf is fine for moderate distance trips. Seats are fairly good. Quick charging isn't as fast as other cars, less than half what the Audi Etron charges at. A TMS would help on longer distance trips.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27677

Seldom gets hot here in Vermont- occasionally 80, is that hot enough to slow the charging down? Have not tried it yet......

dmacarthur said:
Seldom gets hot here in Vermont- occasionally 80, is that hot enough to slow the charging down? Have not tried it yet......

If the battery pack gets too warm during fast charging, the charging rate is "throttled" back - often a lot. This is referred to as "Rapidgate" because Nissan doesn't warn potential buyers and lessees about it. There are a lot of unhappy 2018+ Leaf drivers as a result. It's less likely to happen in Vermont, but it will happen in hot Summer weather.

If there is an upside to this I suppose it is that the batteries last longer, less of a beating during fast charging.....

dmacarthur said:
If there is an upside to this I suppose it is that the batteries last longer, less of a beating during fast charging.....

The problem is that the real issue here is no battery cooling. Nissan isn't babying the batteries, so much as using a band-aid approach to the cooling issue - the packs still get too hot for good longevity.

Are you buying new or used?

I think the LEAF can be a great used buy, and I think my preowned 30 kWh 2016 S is a perfect match for me (rural trips with musical instruments, some camping).

From what I gather, the best way to keep a LEAF going is to be kind to the battery by keeping battery temperature down and keeping the charge between 20-80% as much as possible.

If I were buying new, had a larger budget, or needed more range, I think I would choose a different model. I don't believe the new LEAF is as competitive as it once was.

If I were looking for something longer-range and pre-owned, I would choose a Chevrolet Bolt.

If I were buying brand new, I would investigate a Tesla Model 3.

Or if I didn't have as much to carry and didn't need to go as far, I would be most interested in a used Fiat 500e or Chevrolet Spark EV.

Best wishes!

laxutraly said:
Hello everyone,

The Nissan Leaf is one of the potential candidates, so I've decided to create an account here in order to read what you guys are thinking about your cars, what the little tricks to keep it rolling are, and how to maintain it in general. I'm lurking/participating on a couple of other electric car-related forums as well, because I'd like to buy the car in spring (after the yearly taxes) and I have the time to read up and make my choice.

Have a nice day.

As far at the original poster is concerned... We do not know what EV choices are in Brussels....

The Leaf is a great car... I do not think we have to "sell" him on this car. There is so much info to get from the internet and this site..

Please do some reading, and ask specific questions after you have researched

powersurge said:
laxutraly said:
Hello everyone,

Have a nice day.

As far at the original poster is concerned... We do not know what EV choices are in Brussels....

The Leaf is a great car... I do not think we have to "sell" him on this car. There is so much info to get from the internet and this site..

Please do some reading, and ask specific questions after you have researched
Looks like the OP did a runner.....very common around here to just post an OP and never return :( They joined and posted OP on Fri Nov 26 at 10:24pm and haven't been back since even though many people have responded to their post and asked several questions......

jjeff said:
...Looks like the OP did a runner.....very common around here to just post an OP and never return :( They joined and posted OP on Fri Nov 26 at 10:24pm and haven't been back since even though many people have responded to their post and asked several questions......

Yes it does happen frequently, which is why I'm reluctant to dance a jig when someone comes in with a first post that amounts to "tell me everything about the LEAF" :roll:

Back