Proper terminology for "miles until empty" indicator

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhamra

On the dash on the left is the number indicating how many miles you have until the charge is empty. Is there a definitive term for that? Some people are calling it "miles to empty" gauge. What is this function/indicator called, officially? Thanks.

dhamra said:
On the dash on the left is the number indicating how many miles you have until the charge is empty. Is there a definitive term for that? Some people are calling it "miles to empty" gauge. What is this function/indicator called, officially? Thanks.

Officially?

I call it the Guess-O-Meter.

I think the actual term is DTE (Distance to Empty) indicator.

In the LEAF community it is derisively known as the 'Guess-o-meter'.

Generically, this kind of display is called a "Range Estimator." In Europe and Asia it is also called an "Autonomie" (I think that's the spelling) display.

Nubo said:
In the LEAF community it is derisively known as the 'Guess-o-meter'.

GOM or Guess-O-Meter long predates the LEAF. Any range or length estimate is a GOM. I first heard the term in about 1970.

My manual calls it the "Driving Range" indicator.

From EV shows I've attended, a lot of non-EV owners I've talked to called it the Range Indicator, but I always told them that it's just a Guess-o-meter.

henrydehoja said:
My manual calls it the "Driving Range" indicator.

From EV shows I've attended, a lot of non-EV owners I've talked to called it the Range Indicator, but I always told them that it's just a Guess-o-meter.

Well there you go. Honestly it's such a useless gimmick to me that I couldn't be bothered to RTFM to check. :lol:

For ultimate closure, the Nissan leaf service manual (MWI-7) calls it the "Driving range display".

Back