New 2019 Leaf with Bad Battery Cell?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoahChin5

I just bought brand new 2019 Leaf SV Plus in August and drove 2 months or so. I have 40 mile one way commute (CO to WY) and started to realize that my battery goes down very quickly on my way home. On my way to work is actually up hill, but it goes down from 100% to only 70-80% left, depending on how fast I drive or how cold the temperature is and if I use cabin heater or not. The problem starts on my way home. About from 50-60% left, it just drop down to less than 20% very quickly, even if I drive conservatively. I took it to dealer, but they said it's normal with this temperature drop. DTC test didn't find anything wrong either. So, I just bought Leafspy Pro and ran the test. Sure enough, it shows that one of the cell is weak. How should I approach this issue with Nissan dealer? Do they replace the battery, exchange with another Leaf, or do nothing about it? Any suggestion is appreciated.

The problem you face is that Nissan doesn't accept LeafSpy readings as evidence. You'll have to persuade the dealership to do a range test drive that comes close to your commute, at which point they should be able to observe the effects of the bad cell and perform a CVLI test. It may take some effort, I'm afraid. Can you upload the LeafSpy screen shots to a service like IMGUR and then link them to here?

NoahChin5 said:
I just bought Leafspy Pro and ran the test. Sure enough, it shows that one of the cell is weak.

Post the mv data:
Weak cell
average mv
mv range
SoC

The important detail of a range test at the dealership is to do it at a low-ish SoC so that the weak cell is exposed.
It is true that Nissan ignores LeafSpy data (which is of course absurd since it is nothing more than car Canbus data) but you can try this:

Charge up to 100%
-- Note odometer
-- Reset trip meter
Drive down to 10% SoC
-- Note odometer
-- Note miles/kWh

Calculate the 90% capacity of the battery as the change in odometer * kWh/mile

Back