Error on dash and won't charge at home

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tildascot

I recently bought a new 2019 leaf and it has been faultless until the weekend.

I can't get the car to charge. I took the car to the Nissan garage (about 2 miles away) and of course it charges fine. Plugged it in at home and nothing. Blue dash lights flash for about 5 minutes and then nothing. Nissan app tells me that the car is plugged in but not charging. Car charge level is about 70%.

I have (had) it set up to charge on a timer overnight (cheaper electricity) but have now disabled the timer so that it should charge at any time.

This morning, got into the car and was greeted by a warning that "Service EV system. No power."

The fact that the problem has only (so far) demonstrated itself at home and not at the garage may be a red herring.

Any ideas what might be the issue?

You should try to plug in the 120 volt charger into another, known to be good, outlet...

If the outlet has power, but does not have a good third prong "ground", the charger will give you an error.

So get one of those $5 outlet testers at home depot, which will tell you any problems with the outlet.

I have tried charging from a domestic socket at home and also from our 30 amp EV charge point. Neither worked.

There have been some bad cells in packs, but that isn't the same set of symptoms. I do seem to recall, sort of, one problem like yours. Hopefully someone who better remembers will post soon.

tildascot said:
I have tried charging from a domestic socket at home and also from our 30 amp EV charge point. Neither worked.

Can you try at a third location, like a neighbor's house or a public charging station? You may have a bad ground or other problem that's keeping things from working at home. OTOH, if it doesn't work at a third location, you'll have more to tell the tech at the dealer.

I think I've nailed it - the BP Chargemsster socket seemed to need turning off and on again.

It turned out that the 13 Amp socket at home didn't work because of a faulty extension lead.

Remove that data from the problem and the only socket that didn't work was the BP one at home. Two fast chargers at Nissan garage worked and then the 13 Amp socket at home worked (once I fixed that).

In other words, I had two different but both faulty plugs at home.

Using the key to disable the output on the BP charger and then turning it off at the fusebox for 1 minute did the trick.

As a side note, I think the issue may have arisen because I had the charge timer set on the vehicle and the "smart" BP socket thought that it was charging for 120+ hours (which is how long the car was connected) but in reality it only charged for 4 hours (as determined by the charge timer in my leaf)

Moral of the story - BP smart chargers may not like the car being on it's own charge timer.

tildascot said:
...Moral of the story - BP smart chargers may not like the car being on it's own charge timer.

40 years of IT work have given me a strong aversion to adding "smarts" to what should be a stone-simple appliance. They use their "intelligence" to decide not to work. :lol:

Nubo said:
40 years of IT work have given me a strong aversion to adding "smarts" to what should be a stone-simple appliance. They use their "intelligence" to decide not to work.
YouTube's discussion/comment feature is mostly horrible, but one thing it does have that would be nice here on MNL is upvoting/downvoting counters. This comment of yours, Nubo, merits immediate and enthusiastic up-voting.

Nubo said:
tildascot said:
...Moral of the story - BP smart chargers may not like the car being on it's own charge timer.

40 years of IT work have given me a strong aversion to adding "smarts" to what should be a stone-simple appliance. They use their "intelligence" to decide not to work. :lol:

I love your comment.... Yes, "smart" appliances tell you when they should not work...

Nubo - I believe you have given us a real good piece of wisdom there. :cool:

Tildascot - Glad to hear you seem to have isolated the issues and have solutions. This is a real good forum for help in diagnosing issues and getting better use out of these cars.

Back