I would love an EV but....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idontknow

I drive about 160 miles 4 to 5 days a week. Most people have suggested Tesla obviously, however I kinda only like the Model S (which I'd have to buy used...scary!) and they are quite hard to find under $40k. I am not really a big fan of the Model 3 although I guess I could compromise.
I have driven both the 2018 SL Leaf and a 2019 SV Leaf+ and I honestly loved both, my family fit better in the 2019. I'm a big fan of tech and aesthetics in vehicles, so I have a few questions:

Would any of you suggest trying to commute a Leaf over 160 miles?

If I dont get a Plus model I was thinking of driving to the nearest fast charger every day to get enough range to get home. How fast will this kill my car?

My dealer tells me you can use any Nissan dealer to quick charge, is this true? Again, how fast am I gonna kill this thing?

Is there an aftermarket for the next gen Leaf? I think the car would look real nice lowered and on a nice set of wheels.

On my test drive Pro-Pilot turned itself off going over a small bump after a bridge. Is this normal behavior? I repeated the test a couple times and it did it every time.

Why should I buy the Leaf over the Tesla? I know that's a silly question but I have spoken to many Tesla owners and heard that side, I have only spoken to one Leaf owner. So please give me your opinions, what made you get the Leaf?

Sorry for the novel and thanks!

Having to stop and charge every day takes some of the convenience (and cost savings) away from driving electric so I recommend that you choose a car with enough range to handle your round trip commute. The SL+ might meet your needs with some reserve, depending upon your climate and driving conditions. I would only recommend the SL+ if there is public charging available along your route in case something comes up which requires additional driving once in a while.

idontknow said:
I drive about 160 miles 4 to 5 days a week. Most people have suggested Tesla obviously, however I kinda only like the Model S (which I'd have to buy used...scary!) and they are quite hard to find under $40k. I am not really a big fan of the Model 3 although I guess I could compromise.
I have driven both the 2018 SL Leaf and a 2019 SV Leaf+ and I honestly loved both, my family fit better in the 2019. I'm a big fan of tech and aesthetics in vehicles, so I have a few questions:

I would not. You need more range. Even the Tesla M3 Long Range is marginal with 310 miles. Unless you have a worse than usual commute (higher speeds, big hills, lots of wind, cold temperatures, or ...). it would likely work.

If I dont get a Plus model I was thinking of driving to the nearest fast charger every day to get enough range to get home. How fast will this kill my car?
I'd be more worried about you. The nearest fast charger might be busy, with a few cars waiting.

I think it depends on climate and driving style.

We have an SV+

I have done a few 220 plus mile legs with no range concerns in summer including significant AC, but haven’t had the car in winter yet to know how much range is impacted. Oddly the insulated nature of the battery may play well in winter as we garage the car, and in full summer heat the battery temp doesn’t seem to move much, so hoping the same when it’s cold.

If you usually drive at 75-80mph I would hedge to the long range 3 or just lease the Plus as a hedge against potential battery degradation.

If you are in more of a 65 mph zone on the highway (it’s only 55 around us until you are far outside the city) the car will likely meet you needs for many years.

With a 160 mile commute, I would go with the car with more comfortable seats. (Which ever car fits you best)

LeftieBiker said:
camasleaf said:
Why is a used Model S "scary"?

When the warranty ends they can be expensive to keep fixed.

Exactly. Although I am capable of mechanic work (I maintain all my current vehicles), the used Tesla market is an expensive place to be.

Thank you for the comments. To be clear the 160 miles is round trip, so about 80 miles to the office. I have chargers within 10-20miles including Nissan dealers.

theothertom said:
Leaf e+
Chevy Bolt
Used Tesla model S (around $30K)
Used Tesla model 3 LR if it meets your budget

I would like the vehicle to have some kind of semi-automatic drivers assist, which is why I have not considered the Chevy Bolt or a non-AP Tesla (early AP Teslas are getting hard to find under $40k).

idontknow said:
I have driven both the 2018 SL Leaf and a 2019 SV Leaf+ and I honestly loved both, my family fit better in the 2019.

My understanding is that aside from the larger battery that makes the car slightly higher the interior dimensions are identical. Unless the leather seats in the SL are thicker or something like that.

After having owned my 40kwh car with the official 150 mile range I strongly suggest almost all EV buyers to acquire a EV with at least 200 miles of range for those times when you need the extra range for the days when you end up driving a lot more than a typical day.

For you I would always want to have enough range to make a round trip without charging for that unforeseen emergency when you need to return home from work & there wasn't time to charge.

QC options are typically far less available at least in my neck of the woods & I would suggest you think of them as a secondary charging option rather than a primary one.

With the Plus variant you will be able to charge to about 75% at home & work & have plenty of range for your typical daily needs & then some.

Simple inexpensive solutions to your problem

Volt
Prius Prime
PIP
I3 Rex

In roughly that order

In areas with poor charging infrastructure any of the above are hassle free.

See image looks good to me

148908.jpg

Do any of those models let you preheat/cool in the garage (with the door shut)? A mode to ensure that the gas engine doesn't kick in?

All of those cars (save maybe the rex as its an add on unit), have all of the maintenance tied to an ICE.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Do any of those models let you preheat/cool in the garage (with the door shut)?

have all of the maintenance tied to an ICE.

The Volt has a setting to choose whether you preheat off the ice or battery while plugged into a wall, this setting can be overroad in the battery too cold scenario but then your EV mode is disabled as well.

AC is always off the battery if your plugged in.

even if your battery is dead and your not plugged in the ice only has a 50/50 chance of firing depending on how long you prechill the cabin.

Typically I just hit the remote to roll all the windows down and start ac when I’m almost in the car. After things air out a bit I roll them back up and adjust the temperature.

All the horror stories of the Volt starting the ice in the garage fall into 4 categories
1. Battery dead, not plugged in hit the 15 minute preheat that goes to ice (15m won’t kill you)
2. Op leaves the car on continuously because they don’t understand the stupid push button start and the car runs 5 minutes for every 15 minutes it’s on after the battery dies
3. Op has the setting for “engine assisted heating” set to yes in every category including when plugged into the wall.
4. A $3 temperature sensor fails
battery too cold message, engine runs constantly and can’t charge.

And Yes every 2 years you have to change the 3qts of oil
Every 150,000 you have to change all the fluids (transaxle grease, radiator, brakes)
including the antifreeze in the battery reservoir

idontknow said:

No, I would not. If I did do that, I would Lease the Leaf, instead of buy. You would need an e+ or you'd be rapid charging all the time in the winter. The e+ has roughly a 240 mile range, so you'd be using 67% of the range. When winter kicks in, you'd maybe not even make it without charging. If you really want an EV, I'd look at a Model 3 LR.

Rapid charging often will degrade the battery, especially in the summer. Any range loss (which will happen as the battery ages), will get you to a point where the range may not make it. The car may work for a couple years, then no longer be able to do the trip, and the rapid charging you've done in the meantime might have degraded the car.

In short: I would not recommend a Leaf for this situation. If you lease it, it might work, but I wouldn't want to hold on to that car for a long time.

Also, keep in mind that the Tesla Supercharging network is leaps and bounds above the rapid charging network for the Leaf. You mentioned chargers at Nissan dealerships, etc. Most of the chargers for the Leaf (at Nissan dealerships and others that you've mentioned) are L2, not Level 3. L2 adds 24 miles per hour of charging and does not damage the battery (L3 adds hundreds of miles per hour of charging and does degrade the battery). You don't want to be L2 charging every trip, as you're going to be wasting hours of your life.

If you have a way to charge at work (even a 110V outlet!), a Leaf would work for you. Perhaps you could talk to your work and get them to add one? You would also NEED to install a 240V outlet in your garage at home--you would not replenish 160 miles daily with a standard 110 outlet.

idontknow said:
... I kinda only like the Model S (which I'd have to buy used...scary!) and they are quite hard to find under $40k. ...
$33.5K if you can pickup in New York, otherwise add $2K for shipping, with two year 20K mile warranty: https://www.tesla.com/used/5YJSA1H11EFP51335

Boy, that is a lot to mull over. Thanks to everyone for the replies!

For those suggesting hybrids, I appreciate the suggestion and I might ultimately HAVE to go that way (which I think the Prius Prime would be my first choice), but 1) I do not like how hybrids drive and 2) IF its a PHEV I'd end up paying for both electric and gas which is not ideal to me. A lot (NOT ALL) of those vehicles lack the tech I'm looking for as well.

Honestly a used Tesla MS will likely be what I set my sights on. Only problem is you gotta be fast, the link DanCar listed is gone already lol.

Thanks all.

Back