Newbie: 2015 Leaf S sent home with Voltec charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EWFKC

And it ain't workin'. Looking for help.
After a long day of negotiating, financing, and doing a little driving to get used to this great car, I came home to plug it in in the garage. I did so with a 2019 I was trying last week and it was so easy! Took the charger out of the trunk, plugged it into 110 outlet, plugged in car, two blue lights came on and one blinked until it was fully charged by the next morning.
THIS time I pulled the charger out, it didn't look the same (but is 4 years older, I thought) and then I did the same thing I did with the 2019. Nothing.
Looking more closely, it's a Voltec charger, not Nissan.
The instructions are all pictures and don't really make complete sense, but it appears that
the lights that are supposed to turn green and stay green are just flashing red.
I tried it in 120 and in 240 outlets. No change.
When I plugged it into Leaf, no blue lights on dash. :shock:

I am not familiar with the Voltec EVSE, but there is no reason why it should not work (especially if plugged in to the same outlet you used with the 2019). If you have enough charge, return to the dealer and have them demonstrate the unit by plugging in to a 120-volt outlet. It will probably not work so then have them fix whatever is wrong. It could be the Voltec EVSE (most likely) or the onboard charger (not likely, but possible) that is causing the failure to charge.

If this is the charging cable that comes with the Volt, it has two power settings, 8A and 12A, IIRC. Still, that shouldn't matter much, unless maybe the switch is between the settings.

^^^
AFAIK, they got rid of that on newer Volts and force you to override to 12 amps in the car's UI.

On my Bolt, that's the way it is.

EWFKC said:
I tried it in 120 and in 240 outlets. No change.
When I plugged it into Leaf, no blue lights on dash. :shock:
And just how did you plug it into a 240v outlet :?
Is the Voltec rated for 240v? Very few OEM EVSEs are rated for 240v, I hope you didn't blow anything :shock:
Since plugs are either 120v or 240v you must have used an outlet adapter?

The OEM EVSE for the Gen2 is 110V but many owners have done a DIY-type wiring conversion make it work with 220V.
LeftieBiker said:
IIRC, the Voltec unit is capable of either 120 or 240 volts, and I think there is also an available adapter.

Back