Used Leaf Owner / Carwings Upgrade?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vuelto

Hello everyone,

I bought a used 2012 Leaf for $10k with 30k miles a few months ago and have been lurking here even longer. The Leaf is perfect for my short commute.

I added a new 240v outlet to my garage, decided to pay an electrician because my 1970's electrical service was at capacity.

I also put in my deposit for Fenix Power systems. Who knows it might end up being a great investment, or maybe I just threw away $150. :)

I picked up a spare tire kit from ebay for $60 because I'm a 40-something and can't drive a car without a spare tire. :) There's really not a great place to put the spare in the 2012 so I just strapped it to the child seat restraints on the back of the rear seats. A cheapo tire cover from Amazon made it look acceptable.

I'd love to get a replacement / upgrade for "carwings" on the 2012. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks for all your help.
Ben

vuelto said:
I bought a used 2012 Leaf for $10k with 30k miles a few months ago and have been lurking here even longer. The Leaf is perfect for my short commute.
I'd love to get a replacement / upgrade for "carwings" on the 2012. Does such a thing exist?
First off, welcome!

Secondly, unless the car had its battery pack replaced (esp. with a "lizard" pack), you way overpaid on it. How many capacity bars does it have?

Yes, $199 to replace the TCU with a 3G one should still exist. See https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/740/
NTB17-015a
-REVISED-
2011-2015 NISSAN LEAF; CUSTOMER SATISFACTION INITIATIVE 2G TELEMATICS HARDWARE REPLACEMENT
On February 26, 2016 Nissan announced that it was sending a reminder notification to owners affected by AT&T’s planned discontinuation of the 2G cellular network. At this time, Nissan is beginning the process of making 3G compatible hardware available to owners of affected vehicles as identified above. This upgrade may require an owner to make a copayment in order to receive the 3G hardware update.
I was able to find a copy at https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/121298/1vj17.

It didn't come out until the "last minute": https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1107682_nissan-offers-2g-leaf-owners-a-199-3g-upgrade-with-just-24-days-left.

Hello!

I too am in need of some insight into whether or not I should bother with the Carwings TCU upgrade.

It's a 2011 which I just bought used (yes it has the lizard pack warranty done back in 2015 apparently, and 12 bars of "life").

I was fiddling with Carwings and it seems pretty obtuse. I am actually not sure if it's been upgraded to a 3G version. How would I check aside from asking the dealer to check?

I plan to upload proof of registration to Nissan's site so I can claim the system as my own.

But from there...what shall I do? Is it even worth bothering with?

I'd like to be able to see status of charge, if anything. Maybe I can also turn on the heater remotely while it's plugged in?

Thanks for you help!

Newbie used 2012 owner wants a spare tire kit too. Did ben/vuelto get a baby spare or full sized? Does it have to be Nissan Leaf specifically?

vuelto said:
Hello everyone,

I added a new 240v outlet to my garage, decided to pay an electrician because my 1970's electrical service was at capacity.

I also put in my deposit for Fenix Power systems. Who knows it might end up being a great investment, or maybe I just threw away $150. :)

I picked up a spare tire kit from ebay for $60 because I'm a 40-something and can't drive a car without a spare tire. :) There's really not a great place to put the spare in the 2012 so I just strapped it to the child seat restraints on the back of the rear seats. A cheapo tire cover from Amazon made it look acceptable.

Thanks for all your help.
Ben

Newbie used 2012 owner wants a spare tire kit too. Did ben/vuelto get a baby spare or full sized? Does it have to be Nissan Leaf specifically?

Most people use Altima donut spares. You have to get a specific year range, which you can find by searching. I'm wiped out right now, but will be back later tonight and maybe can find it.

For 2012 Leaf spare tire I kept the donut spare from 2006 Prius that I donated. Now where can I look up if it is compatible?

2012 Leaf requires 5 x 114.3 mm bolt circle diameter, 66.1mm center bore, something close to 40mm offset. And it has to be big enough inside to clear the front brake calipers. I don't know the specs for your spare but if they are close you could try it.

Back