Twigsandleaves
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2021

Disable EV Sound on 2021 Leaf?

Greetings,

I've read up on this a bit and watched a few of the youtube videos covering the topic but wanted to check in with you all.

I really, really don't like the approaching vehicle sound "EVS". I don't mind the reverse chime when backing up, but that fake howling sound is ridiculous in my opinion. Opinions will vary there but I'd really prefer my vehicle not be louder than a Prius (or any of a dozen other moderns cars) going 20mph.

I gather I can temporarily disable it with LeafSpy and the ODB dongle, or disconnect the wire to the speaker. I'd be willing to disconnect it if necessary but am not sure if this will violate some kind of vehicle safety code for state inspection (Massachusetts) or if it will void some aspect of the warranty.

Does anyone with a 2021 Leaf have any recent experience with disabling this (or any knowledge of the other aspects) to offer?

Thanks and sorry for the retread.
LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Disable EV Sound on 2021 Leaf?

Attaching a sock to the speaker would probably come closest to what you want.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
Twigsandleaves

LeftieBiker wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:06 pm Attaching a sock to the speaker would probably come closest to what you want.
A sock? Does it muffle it to the point you can't hear it?
LeftieBiker

I haven't done it, but I believe that someone here has. Let's see if they chime in. I doubt that it makes the VSP completely inaudible, though.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
Learjet
Delivery Date: 11 Mar 2020
Leaf Number: 309454

Disabling a safety feature sets yourself up for additional liability should you hit someone this safety system is meant to protect....something to think about.
2019 Nissan Leaf SL Plus
Build Date 2/19...car sat new for 1 year until I purchased 3/20
Snargleblarg
Delivery Date: 28 May 2021

Aside from the debate of whether it's wrong to reduce/defeat the VSP feature, I can't believe that using socks is the go-to mod. Socks in the engine compartment? Enclosing the speakers? Seems like it would be more effective at soaking up water and road grime than sound. And then the absorbed water hangs around a long time. Yuck.

If there's access to install it, then I would think true sound deadening material like dynamat attached to the speaker grill/opening would be much more effective. It's actually designed for that purpose and for a similar environment. I mean, a car door panel may not be exactly the same as an engine compartment but think about where your socks are designed to operate.

Or maybe put some resistors in line with the VSP speakers to reduce the power delivered to the speakers.

I'm not recommending anyone do a VSP defeat, just expressing dismay at the sock mod. It seems very MacGyver - it'll sort of work in a pinch and probably even last until you defeat the bad guys at the end of this week's exciting episode. But not something you want to rely on long term.
2021 Leaf S Plus, purchased May 2021
LeftieBiker

IIRC, the speakers are located in a dry area behind the front bumper. I don't endorse this mod either.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
Twigsandleaves

Thanks for all the feedback. I have no intentions or interest in modifying the speaker, if I was going to do anything it would probably be unplugging the cable, but the likelihood is very low.

As far as all the concern about pedestrians being caught unaware I just have to disagree. Almost any modern ICE vehicle I've been near in a parking lot that wasn't in bad enough condition to generally sound like garbage (or modified by the idiots that think their exhaust system needs to sound manly) is nearly silent. If I avoid them in reverse it's because of the reverse lights, not hearing their tires or their engine.

The same goes for the majority of ICE vehicles at low speeds, in my experience. I hear the tires crunching on the pavement or their radio, but the engine and exhaust is nearly silent and certainly doesn't have some ridiculous howling sound. Why should an EV should be held to a different standard?

Either way, it's new and I live in a state that takes inspection seriously so the point is moot.
AlexDarcy
Delivery Date: 17 Dec 2021

Twigsandleaves wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:32 am Either way, it's new and I live in a state that takes inspection seriously so the point is moot.
When an EV is inspected, does the garage examine the speakers? Or listen to the volume?
AlexDarcy
Delivery Date: 17 Dec 2021

Twigsandleaves wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:32 am The same goes for the majority of ICE vehicles at low speeds, in my experience. I hear the tires crunching on the pavement or their radio, but the engine and exhaust is nearly silent and certainly doesn't have some ridiculous howling sound. Why should an EV should be held to a different standard?
Imagine some years from now when 50% of cars are electric and you are standing at a street intersection, downtown in a large city like New York. The light turns green and there is a huge, echoing howling sound, reverberating off all the buildings, an electronic roar of noise pollution. The anti-EV crowd will pile on to complain and then fewer people will buy electric vehicles. The opposite of what we want.

Imagine a residential neighborhood with mostly electric vehicles. How many residents will drive faster (above 20 mph) just to get above the warning noise speed? In the name of public safety, people accelerate faster and drive faster precisely where there are more likely to be kids playing or pedestrians out for walks. It's the Law of Unintended Consequences resulting in more injuries and deaths than otherwise.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”