How many keyfobs should I expect with a 2nd hand 2019 Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveJM

I'm buying a second hand Nissan Leaf (2019) from a dealer. How many keyfobs would it have been issued with when new?

I purchased brand new OEM key fobs for $89 online from https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2020-nissan-leaf-remote-smart-remote-285e3-5sa1a-cwtwb1g0168.html

I always negotiate dealership to program fobs and cut keys as part of the sales deal.

I always have 4 programmed key fobs for all my vehicles. One for me, one for wife and one each stored in a locked key box at home and vacation home.

With Nissan fobs cannot be owner programmed like that can on my Fords and must be programmed by dealer computer.

Finally, it has been noted that Nissan dealerships have "bricked" a few Rogues by trying to program new key fobs. They actually destroyed a couple of expensive electronic components in the cars. I haven't heard of this happening to a Leaf, but we should be aware of this possibility.

@flyct Thanks for this link. I just bought a 2019 leaf and neglected to ask how many fobs there were with the car, assuming there were two. My bad. :x So if I order one of these from the website you recommend, how much do you think they'll charge me at the dealership to program it or should I go to my local hometown garage?

Flyct said:
I purchased brand new OEM key fobs for $89 online from https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2020-nissan-leaf-remote-smart-remote-285e3-5sa1a-cwtwb1g0168.html

I always negotiate dealership to program fobs and cut keys as part of the sales deal.

Call the dealership and ask them how much to program a fob and cut the key. Tell them you have original brand new Nissan fob or they may refuse to program them.

I just checked my records. When I bought my 2018 leaf 3 years ago I paid $96.99 labor at another dealer to program an additional key fob. I paid $76.94 for the fob delivered.

When I bought my 2019 and 2020 Leaf I made it part of the deal.

I just went through studying the keyfob thing. I had two Leafs with only one keyfob. If you lose the one you have, that could become costly. If you don't have a key to use to program a second one, your car might have to be towed to a dealer and use their services to get you going. Expensive! I bought a couple of used keyfobs on Ebay and had them programmed by a local locksmith in Las Vegas that advertises this service. If I were buying a Leaf from a dealer, I would demand 2 keyfobs.

THANK YOU. Very helpful, @Flyct !!

Flyct said:
Call the dealership and ask them how much to program a fob and cut the key. Tell them you have original brand new Nissan fob or they may refuse to program them.

I just checked my records. When I bought my 2018 leaf 3 years ago I paid $96.99 labor at another dealer to program an additional key fob. I paid $76.94 for the fob delivered.

When I bought my 2019 and 2020 Leaf I made it part of the deal.

Back