Hello, my newbie Leaf questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baerster

Hi everyone, I am doing research to buy a used Leaf for our daughter, sometime in the next month or so. I decided on the leaf because of the various positive reviews on how the Leaf is the best value for a basic electric car.

I am glad that this forum exists, because it hasn't been easy to find an information source that correlates the terminology and information that I see on enthusiast websites with the terminology that I see in dealer listings.

My newbie questions, which have probably been asked by every other newbie:
- What is the best way to get a sense of the health of the battery?
- Is there a source that says what the "Standard" charging port can do (is it level 1 AND level 2? Only level 1?) and what the quick charging port can do (is it only fast level 3 DC charging?)
- Is it true that using the fast charging port degrades the battery a lot faster, enough that if I am buying a used Leaf I should avoid one with the quick charge port?
- I am looking for something 2017 or newer. Any advice on what to look for and what to avoid?

Thanks so much,

-Tom

Welcome. I made your topic title slightly more specific. First, I suggest that you read my used Leaf buying guide:

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26662&p=538030

Pay extra attention to the section on 2016-2017 30kwh Leafs.

Battery health can be determined by using the LeafSpy app - especially the Pro version, and a Bluetooth dongle like the one in my signature. Not all dongles will work. If the Battery Management System ("BMS") is reset, it will both restore all 12 capacity bars for a while, and will also fool LeafSpy - at least for a few weeks.

The standard charging port on the Leaf will accept L-1 and L-2 charging, as they both use the same plug, and the onboard charger is designed to use both. DC Fast Charge, aka "QC," can degrade the battery by heating it. Using QC in Winter when the battery is cool is a non-issue. Using it in the heat of Summer can indeed accelerate battery degradation.

If you buy an older LEAF with a smaller battery (30kWh or less), you'll find that it's at best a "near city/area car" and you might not find much use of DCFC (CHAdeMO, Level 3). So I wouldn't worry too much about having that port.

(although on the flip side, don't worry if you get one with a CHAdeMO; it's not dangerous for the car and an occasional quick charge isn't going to harm the battery)

Much more useful is getting a LEAF with the faster 6.6kW on-board charger for Level 2 charging - it's twice as fast as the 3.3 kW on-board charger. All LEAFs with CHAdeMO and some LEAFs without it have the faster one.

Read Leftie's guide but in the meantime, be aware the 2017 is Gen 1 and 2018+ is Gen 2. Big difference in many ways between the 2 versions of car.

Back