Clean Technica 2018 Leaf at 60,000 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouldergramp

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/01/26/2018-nissan-leaf-60000-mile-update/

This is one person's experience.

This sounds odd to me, "As with most EVs, tire wear is still a bit of an issue. I’ve worn out 6 tires so far." I read this as 6 sets of tires.

The Phoenix location and climate with fast charging...she's still at about 87 SOH. Her range has dropped by similar pct. The BMS algorithm my not be as mysterious or unreliable as thought. Maybe a good sign for those in less hot climates for battery life longevity?

jdcbomb said:
The Phoenix location and climate with fast charging...she's still at about 87 SOH. Her range has dropped by similar pct. The BMS algorithm my not be as mysterious or unreliable as thought. Maybe a good sign for those in less hot climates for battery life longevity?

Maybe, but my car gets pampered and it's still down near 90%.

LeftieBiker said:
jdcbomb said:

Maybe, but my car gets pampered and it's still down near 90%.

If you kept your pack at 65% or less you would probably be at a much higher SOH. I don't know if you've ever stated your typical daily range needs but it sounds like it's only 10-30 miles on any given day? Is that accurate?

From what I have gathered you tend to keep yours at 80% essentially all the time due to the relative low miles your vehicle has which when you add the age related degradation is NOT helping especially since LS show's that Nissan hoards about 10% so you're essentially keeping it at 90%

From what I have gathered you tend to keep yours at 80% essentially all the time due to the relative low miles your vehicle has which when you add the age related degradation is NOT helping especially since LS show's that Nissan hoards about 10% so you're essentially keeping it at 90%

No. I keep mine at 45-70% normally, charging higher only when needed. It's in the low 60s now, IIRC. I'm not sure why you assumed otherwise...

LeftieBiker said:

No. I keep mine at 45-70% normally, charging higher only when needed. It's in the low 60s now, IIRC. I'm not sure why you assumed otherwise...

Just what I had inferred. My apologies as I should have added a plz clarify if wrong statement in my post. I guess the age/time degradation is the "real" degradation so the moral is drive the snot out our cars because the miles don't seem to matter in the grand scheme of things compared to the age of the pack.

Although IF you are in fact driving 10-30 miles per trip I would STRONGLY suggest you keep your SOC at 50% or less because even at 50% you have TONS of buffer & you could always charge for an hour right before leaving adding that 24 miles of range or less in winter of course

I have only L-1 at home, so I leave a somewhat larger buffer. Also, the reasons I'd need more charge are either a surprise trip to the hospital (none of which are local) or a long-term power outage, both of which need at least 30% more charge. The buffer I'm using is a compromise. Finally, I will most likely turn the car in in '21 and get an SV with Around View and cloth seats - and a new battery.

OUCH, didn't realize you were limited L1...That's unfortunate. Can't configure a 15A-30A 230V via a dryer outlet option? The efficiency gains alone....

And since you're leasing then it's a free for all!

I figured you were owning for sure considering you went through the effort/expense to refrigerate your garage for the battery pack.

The effort and expense were minimal: an 80's - era 5k btu window A/C that refused to die, an appliance timer that I already had, and maybe $10 extra a month in hot weather. The biggest expense would be paying myself for my efforts, but I volunteer for that job, like this one.

Are you certain SV trim will have 360 cam? I too prefer the cloth 360 that was available in Gen1 LEAFs. It seems Nissan wanted to simplify their trim options, and unlikely they would bring that option back...

LeftieBiker said:
I have only L-1 at home, so I leave a somewhat larger buffer. Also, the reasons I'd need more charge are either a surprise trip to the hospital (none of which are local) or a long-term power outage, both of which need at least 30% more charge. The buffer I'm using is a compromise. Finally, I will most likely turn the car in in '21 and get an SV with Around View and cloth seats - and a new battery.

Back